Skating socks for men

spinZZ

For mucho years, I've gotten by without special socks for skating. I simply used Gold Toe casual dress socks: thin, absorbent (high-percentage cotton), and durable. In particular, the seams were finely stitched. As with many products these days, "they don't make them like they used to". The latest batches have coarsely stitched seams, especially around the toe cap. Some have pronounced nubs, causing pressure and pain when skating (OK in regular shoes). I was hoping the nubs would soften with repeated washings, but they've actually gotten harder. This doesn't appear to be an isolated problem; reviews of Gold Toes indicate the quality has really deteriorated.

So, guys, what socks do you wear with figure skates? I would like to avoid >50% nylon, and would prefer >80% cotton. But the main thing is I want well-crafted seams that don't bunch up and don't dig into me.

Thanks.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Does it help if you wear the socks inside out when you skate? I wear my skating socks inside out, because I find it lessens the issue with the toe seam.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I'm not a guy, but I've worn these before. They are 62% cotton, and feel more cottony than nylony to me. I only switched to some different ones because I got a good deal on them, but they are very much nylon.

WildRose

https://thinees.com/

Have you tried Thinees - they are made for skates. Where I live everyone who skates (hockey as well as figure skating) wears them. They are available in any sport shop in Canada but maybe they aren’t as common in the US?

spinZZ

Does it help if you wear the socks inside out when you skate? I wear my skating socks inside out, because I find it lessens the issue with the toe seam.
Yes, first thing I tried. It does help because it moves the seam from beneath the toes to above the toes. The major lingering problem is the nubs at the beginning and end of the seams. Some, in particular, press down on my little toe enough to cause pain.

spinZZ

https://thinees.com/

Have you tried Thinees - they are made for skates. Where I live everyone who skates (hockey as well as figure skating) wears them. They are available in any sport shop in Canada but maybe they aren’t as common in the US?
No, there doesn't appear to be any US retailer. The Canadian price is very reasonable; need to check what it would cost to ship to US. One retailer on Amazon wants an absurd ~US$28 for one pair.

spinZZ

I'm not a guy, but I've worn these before. They are 62% cotton, and feel more cottony than nylony to me. I only switched to some different ones because I got a good deal on them, but they are very much nylon.
Thanks, I'll look into these. Yeah, most skating socks are 85% or more nylon. Good to have an alternative. I'd like to avoid knee-highs, but these are definitely an option.

spinZZ

If seams are an issue, you might want to explore socks made for people with sensory issues:

https://www.smartknit.com/collection/smartknitkids.html?sock_type=215

I can't vouch for their thickness, but it's an option.
Thanks. Yes, I'll need to check that they're not too thick. They do have sizes for "Big Kids", AKA Adults; so that's good. Another plus is they claim to be 100% made in the US; so maybe better quality control. At one time the Gold Toes were also made in the US. Now they appear to be outsourced to factories around the world; one package I looked at was marked "Made in Vietnam", another was marked "Made in Honduras".

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Another good option would be Smart Wool PhD socks. I find them quite cool to wear, aren't stinky after a session, and wash well.

DestinationFw

When I heard men skater in Japan, it seems like they found Uniqlo's socks are comfortable to skate.
link

I'm not sure if your country have it but hopefully they do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information