Skate Canada Names 2021 World Championships Team

Sylvia

TBD
Article by Steve Ewen:
Bausback, who was the 2020 national champion, had to go through monitoring before landing her worlds spot, which meant she had to skate her short program at Scotia Barn last week for Slipchuk and other Skate Canada officials before getting word that she was getting a chance to advance to Sweden. There’s no word on how many different skaters went through something similar.
Bausback had been a modest eighth at the Skate Canada Challenge, which was held virtually in January. The 2021 nationals were slated for Feb. 8-14 at the University of B.C. but were cancelled.
“I felt that my monitoring went really well,” Bausback said. “I was able to show off all my triple-triple combinations. I had a good feeling I was going to be a strong contender for one of the spots.”

screech

Skate Canada generally doesn’t announce alternates, but it’s presumably:

• Roman/Nam in whatever order;
  • Gabrielle/Alison in whatever order;
  • Matte & Ferland;
  • Soucisse & Firus.
I wonder how the alternates situation will work this year. IIRC you can't use an alternate once the qualified person has stepped on practice ice, however what if, for example, Keegan flew to Stockholm and then tested positive once he was there (and before going on for practice). Would Nam/Roman then be sent, (they'd have to get a negative test before getting on a plane, the another negative test after getting to Sweden), or would there just be no replacement?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I wonder how the alternates situation will work this year. IIRC you can't use an alternate once the qualified person has stepped on practice ice, however what if, for example, Keegan flew to Stockholm and then tested positive once he was there (and before going on for practice). Would Nam/Roman then be sent, (they'd have to get a negative test before getting on a plane, the another negative test after getting to Sweden), or would there just be no replacement?
I believe the rule is (or at least used to be) that you cannot substitute once the draw is made for the initial segment. As an example, I remember reading a long, long time ago that Cornel Gheorghe was yanked from 1998 Worlds at the last minute (after having practiced), Gheorghe Chiper got to skate, and didn't make it out of qualifying IIRC. Things may have changed since then, though- it has been a long time :lol:

ETA- with the bubble environment they are working toward this season, I really don't know how it would work with the subs or if any can be sent in addition to the qualified skaters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 221

I believe the rule is (or at least used to be) that you cannot substitute once the draw is made for the initial segment. As an example, I remember reading a long, long time ago that Cornel Gheorghe was yanked from 1998 Worlds at the last minute (after having practiced), Gheorghe Chiper got to skate, and didn't make it out of qualifying IIRC. Things may have changed since then, though- it has been a long time :lol:

Didn't Ina and Dungjen also practice at that same Worlds? Lyons and Wells flew in just before the short program, after Ina clocked Dungjen on a twist, if I remember correctly.

Michelle Kwan practiced in Torino in 2006, before withdrawing, though maybe that wasn't an official practice session since it was 9(?) days before the short program?

tony

Didn't Ina and Dungjen also practice at that same Worlds? Lyons and Wells flew in just before the short program, after Ina clocked Dungjen on a twist, if I remember correctly.

Michelle Kwan practiced in Torino in 2006, before withdrawing, though maybe that wasn't an official practice session since it was 9(?) days before the short program?
Yes, you're right that I/D had to withdraw last-minute as well. There was no replacement for Kazakova/Dmitriev who withdrew from his food poisoning, so maybe that was after the draw.

D

Deleted member 221

Yes, you're right that I/D had to withdraw last-minute as well. There was no replacement for Kazakova/Dmitriev who withdrew from his food poisoning, so maybe that was after the draw.

Or maybe no other Russian skater could get there in time, between flights and visa requirements?

I did a quick Google search: Ina and Dungjen were injured on Sunday, probably just before the draw. Lyons and Wells somehow got there in time to compete on Tuesday. That probably couldn't have happened if Worlds were outside of North America. (Maybe they'd have had a fighting chance with a major European city, but with a Monday overnight flight, they'd likely have had to compete jet-lagged and straight off a plane.)

tony

Or maybe no other Russian skater could get there in time, between flights and visa requirements?

I did a quick Google search: Ina and Dungjen were injured on Sunday, probably just before the draw. Lyons and Wells somehow got there in time to compete on Tuesday. That probably couldn't have happened if Worlds were outside of North America. (Maybe they'd have had a fighting chance with a major European city, but with a Monday overnight flight, they'd likely have had to compete jet-lagged and straight off a plane.)
I found something, too, that puts K/D's withdrawal the day of the short program, so well after the draw.

Erin

Banned Member
My understanding has always been that the rule is that replacements are allowed up until the draw, so I don’t think it has changed since those 1998 Worlds examples. I do think the reason we haven’t seen it more often is that the logistics of getting replacements last minute are really difficult, so it’s usually only feasible where the replacements are in the same country or at the Olympics where practice ice opens a lot earlier than Worlds. I think it will be even more difficult this year for obvious reasons. I won’t be surprised if we see some withdrawals due to positive tests without replacements.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
My understanding has always been that the rule is that replacements are allowed up until the draw, so I don’t think it has changed since those 1998 Worlds examples. I do think the reason we haven’t seen it more often is that the logistics of getting replacements last minute are really difficult, so it’s usually only feasible where the replacements are in the same country or at the Olympics where practice ice opens a lot earlier than Worlds. I think it will be even more difficult this year for obvious reasons. I won’t be surprised if we see some withdrawals due to positive tests without replacements.
Yeah, I don't see how there won't be some withdrawals due to positive tests without replacements because how do you get a skater there in time? I assume they aren't going to be allowed in the competition bubble as an alternate and then sent home once the draw is complete.

hoptoad

Sylvia posted the health regulations recently. A note at the bottom of p. 11 says alternates must arrive "on site latest Monday March 22."

I feel terrible for any skaters who are disqualified because of a positive test. Countries hoping to qualify more than one spot might want to at least have their alternates take a pre-flight test and have figured out flights and visas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information