Skate Canada has unveiled a new brand identity

chewy

The press release: https://skatecanada.ca/2022/08/skate-canada-unveils-new-brand-identity/

An image showing the evolution of the logo is part of the press release: Logo evolution

There's absolutely no need for a rebrand.

Skate Canada just doesn't give a crap anymore about the thousands of kids that fund high performance other than their registration fees. The logos for both CanSkate and CanPower use the stylized figure skate and for both those programs a high percent/100% are wearing hockey skates.

Also, new jacket$$ for everybody!!

Last edited:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
There's absolutely no need for a rebrand.

Skate Canada just doesn't give a crap anymore about the thousands of kids that fund high performance other than their registration fees. The logos for both CanSkate and CanPower use the stylized figure skate and for both those programs a high percent/100% are wearing hockey skates.

Also, new jacket$$ for everybody!!
Perhaps you would like to share your comments with Skate Canada :)

victorskid

Do you think they'll tell me how much they spent on the brand package? Hulse+Durrell It's got to be more than $100k.
I am not defending or supporting the organization - I'm just pointing out that commenting (to me) here will have no impact with the organization :)

chewy

I am not defending or supporting the organization - I'm just pointing out that commenting (to me) here will have no impact with the organization :)
You are right, a kneejerk comment here, or on social media, is pissing in the wind.

chewy

Isn't Skate Canada the national governing body for figure skating?

Yes, but from their own mission statement they modify that, see below. The revamp of CanSkate some years back to remove figure skating terms from their curriculum was part of the attempt to be the expert on skating for all sports:

"HOWEVER, WE GO FAR BEYOND FIGURE SKATING.
As the largest learn-to-skate teaching organization in Canada, we are dedicated to creating a nation of skaters both recreationally and competitively."

honey

LOL my first thought was also that it looked just like the old CanSkate badges :lol:. I don’t think it looks bad necessarily, just funny to make that connection.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It looks exactly like the badge I got when I was 11 (back in the 80s) and passed Beginner 1 except mine was blue. :lol:

It looks like my old badges too, from somewhat before the 80s :shuffle:
(although I have some from the 80s as well).

I guess there are only so many ways to depict a skate, but I agree with @chewy. A logo that looks like a "ladies" figure skate isn't really inclusive.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I guess there are only so many ways to depict a skate, but I agree with @chewy. A logo that looks like a "ladies" figure skate isn't really inclusive.
I see it in white in some places but as "transparent" in others. The transparent one could be any color skate.

It's still a figure skate though. Not sure that's bad exactly. But it doesn't include hockey or speed skating. Should it?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
As @chewy pointed out, SC is trying to position itself as the provider of the best learn-to-skate programs in Canada. That's basic skating for all kinds of ice sports, not just figure skating. Making the logo look like one kind of skate, and a gender-specific kind of skate at that, doesn't fit with that strategic direction IMO.

DynamicMutation

I have a soft spot for the stylized maple leaf with flat blade from the early 90s.
I never liked the recent logo…it looked (when animated) that it was spinning as if it were flushing down the toilet. It always looked cumbersome.

What I do like is the opposite direction for the skate. It’s moving forward (if you consider moving from left to right as forward, that is!).

honey

There are no toe picks on the blade, which I assumed was a nod to all kinds of skating, not just figure skating. But yes, it does read figure skate mostly.

victorskid

Apparently the folks here were not part of any focus group that might have provided feedback on the design :unsure:

If you look at the image on the actual announcement you will see clearly that there is NO toepick and the skate actually appears transparent, as someone already mentioned. See: https://skatecanada.ca/2022/08/skate-canada-unveils-new-brand-identity/

At the bottom of the same page there is an image with a young lady wearing the new black jacket where the transparent skate becomes black :)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It still reads as a figure skate IMO.

And re making money off it, SC is now going to have to replace the logo on all its printed materials (whatever they still produce) and online materials, plus develop a guide that gives the specifications for how to reproduce and use the new logo. That costs money too.

IIRC the supplier that SC uses for its merchandise produces goods as they are ordered, so there may not be much merchandise with the old logo to dispose of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information