Skate Canada Challenge (virtual), Jan. 8-10 & 15-17, 2021

honey

I suspect my disdain for McLeod is probably stronger than it should be. As has been pointed out, she clearly has nurtured many young men in this sport and that’s to be applauded. But that doesn’t change the fact that almost all of her skaters have some very problematic technique. Specifically on the axel. Going all the way back to Sandhu, the axel technique is whack. And it’s hard not to see the thread between bad axels and her skaters :shuffle:
I’d also say there’s been a pattern of skaters with tremendous talent who did not materialize, for what ever reason. She isn’t the only coach one could say that about, but I feel like she’s had more than others whose careers never matched up with the talent of the skater.

Skate Talker

Jack Dushenski's coach is Lee Barkell - a favourite of mine ever since he coached Jeffrey Buttle.

Bennet Toman - power, a little uneven. Liked his top.

Max Denk - wonderful knees when stroking - float over the ice

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
interesting Ted is pretending now that nationals next year has not been announced lol .. maybe he accidentally told us?
Perhaps Skate Canada has not yet dotted all the "i"s and crossed all the "t"s on the contract with the officials at TD Place so the "official" announcement will be made later.

Colonel Green

Really nice costume for Beres, and he skated well too.

That said, I've never been able to shake my first impression of him when he was introduced on the JGP as "Beresford Louise Clements", which was that the poor kid probably got relentlessly bullied if that was what he was known by.

Skate Talker

Beres Clements - Ted says wonderful. I kind of zoned out. Don't know if it was because the music was snoozy, the skater was kind of robotic, or just all the skating I have been watching this weekend. Scoreboard says "good skate"

ETA - based on everyone's comments it's just me - sorry - obviously I need to give this another viewing

Colonel Green

Superior musicality to most of the other guys we've seen here, as you'd expect, but I don't really understand what he's still doing singles for.

I have the same worry about him as with Shingo Nishiyama, I feel like if they were at a club that was more dance-focused the coaches would be nudging them more to focus solely on dance.

Skate Talker

poor Waddell - another multi-event skater who seemed to run out of gas. Like him though and this is always a favourite piece of music for me.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
He was close on the quad! If he is working on quads not likely timing issues with other jumps, also my daughter reminded me that these guys were skating to qualify for Canadians so only about 70% as needed to peak for Canadians ..

Colonel Green

He was looking at this hand at the end of that; I don't know about the order of filming here, but don't drop Natalie!

Skate Talker

Matthew Markell - some good some bad - I like how he moves and his power - needs to stop popping and land those jumps. Hopefully this is just due to this crazy season.

Lil Sarah

Superior musicality to most of the other guys we've seen here, as you'd expect, but I don't really understand what he's still doing singles for
He obviously enjoys it? He has some natural talent with jumping (even if it isn’t showing in competition) since he is attempting quads. Maybe working in his own is keeping him sane?

I know he will have to choose at some point but if he has the means and drive to be able to do both for now, good for him

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
He obviously enjoys it? He has some natural talent with jumping (even if it isn’t showing in competition) since he is attempting quads. Maybe working in his own is keeping him sane?

I know he will have to choose at some point but if he has the means and drive to be able to do both for now, good for him
wasn’t it Paul Poirier who was a good singles skater and continued both for a while? I think the perfect male skater would be a great ice dancer who could jump!

Erin

Banned Member
I always enjoy Matthew Markell’s skating. It was a shame about the popped jumps, but that was one of the best choreographed programs so far in the event. And another piece of music I appreciated.

Although I am also very much enjoying Eric Liu’s Blue Monday at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information