Skate Canada Announces 2019-2020 National Team

Sylvia

TBD
Press release (July 2, 2019): https://skatecanada.ca/2019/07/skate-canada-announces-2019-2020-national-team/

MEN
Nam Nguyen , 21, Ajax, Ont.
Stephen Gogolev , 14, Toronto, Ont. (profile lists club as Granite & coaches as Rafael Arutyunyan, Lee Barkell)
Keegan Messing , 27, Sherwood Park, Alta.
Nicolas Nadeau , 21, Boisbriand, Que.
Roman Sadosvsky , 20, Vaughn, Ont.
Conrad Orzel , 18, Toronto, Ont.

WOMEN
Gabrielle Daleman, 21, Newmarket, Ont. (profile lists club as Granite & coach as Lee Barkell)
Aurora Cotop , 16, Thornhill, Ont.
Véronik Mallet , 25, Sept-Îles, Que.

PAIR
Kirsten Moore-Towers , 27, St. Catharines, Ont. & Michael Marinaro , 27, Sarnia, Ont.
Evelyn Walsh , 17, London, Ont. & Trennt Michaud, 22, Trenton, Ont.
Camille Ruest, 25, Rimouski, Que. & Andrew Wolfe, 24, Calgary, Alta.
Lubov Ilyushechkina, 27, Toronto, Ont. & Charlie Bilodeau, 25, Trois-Pistoles, Que.

ICE DANCE
Piper Gilles, 27, Toronto, Ont. & Paul Poirier, 27, Unionville, Ont.
Laurence Fournier Beaudry, 26, Montreal, Que. & Nikolaj Sorensen, 30, Montreal, Que.
Carolane Soucisse, 24, Chateauguay, Que. & Shane Firus, 25, North Vancouver, B.C.
Marjorie Lajoie, 18, Boucherville, Que. & Zachary Lagha , 20, St-Hubert, Que.
Haley Sales , 22, Kelowna, BC., & Nikolas Wamsteeker , 22, Langley, B.C.

SYNCHRONIZED SKATING
Nova , of CPS NOVA
NEXXICE , of the Burlington Skating Centre
Les Suprêmes , of CPA Saint- Léonard

===

Criteria: https://skatecanada.ca/national-team/

July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020
The National Team comprises those athletes who meet the following criteria:
  • Top three in senior singles, pair and ice dance disciplines at the 2019 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships
  • Assigned to a 2019 ISU Grand Prix event
  • Competing in the 2019/2020 season
  • Skate Canada has the discretion to add athletes based on new partnerships of current and former national team members
The Synchronized National Team comprises those teams finishing in the top three in senior discipline at the 2019 Skate Canada Synchronized Skating Championships.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

So this settles the old debate about whether those team criteria meant you had to satisfy all of them or not — clearly not, and the rules changes were basically to give them more discretion to do whatever they wanted.

Welcome to the team, Stephen, Marjorie and Zach — I suspect you three will be on it for a long time.

Now, let’s hope they have nicer team jackets for the group photo this year.

muffinplus

Soucisse and Firus are 24 and 25? I don't know why but I thought of them as a team that was not too long ago in juniors..

Dobre

Soucisse and Firus are 24 and 25? I don't know why but I thought of them as a team that was not too long ago in juniors..

He skated on the JGP in 14-15. He skated one senior season with Collins.
Soucisse skated on the JGP in 13-14. She & Tanguay skated two seasons as seniors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information