Skate America 2021 Returns to Las Vegas

Arwen17

The only time that I ever was able to see practices for the gala at US Nationals or Skate America was when I was credentialed as a USFSA official or as a chaperone to a skater participating in it. I would be shocked if admission policies have loosened since then.

Honestly, you're not missing anything. Because there is no public admission and these aren't programs that will be judged, it tended to be very informal with skaters often participating in sweats as opposed to costumes and hair/makeup like an official practice. There wasn't any formal skating order or special time for run-throughs by discipline, skaters tended to show up and leave on their own schedules.

Honestly, as a skater myself, I’d enjoy watching a “normal” practice session where everyone is more relaxed. But it makes sense it’s not open to the public. It kinda ruins the “surprise” of the gala programs if you’ve already seen the practice run-thru’s of said programs.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I know it’s not allowed now but I’m pretty sure I was at a gala practice at SkAm in the late 90’s/early 00’s. I only remember that as my mom was with me and did not want to go as she was over it by that point (I left her in the room as any reasonable skating fan would). :rofl::slinkaway

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I had attended a gala practice at the 2001 worlds in Vancouver, as a mere audience. No credentials.

Last edited:

Alexa

I took a pic of the ice surface during a FOFS breakfast because it was a cool perspective (the room was at the top of the stadium) and promptly got scolded by USFS officials --- the closed gala practice happened to be occurring at the same time.
Nathan practicing No Good with the help of his old his old YouTube video on his phone at SkAm 2018 was captured by multiple people, and the clips were posted on both Twitter and Instagram, those were not even taken by his fans.

I also remembered seeing pictures of Dima, Boyang, Nathan and other guys on ice, probably during break from group number practices for SkAm 2019. Those might not be from the official practice session you were talking, but they were all in training suits, so it couldn’t be right before the gala.

Last edited:

mattiecat13

Those of you who went to Skate America last year, what did you pack? It looks like it's going to be in the 80s next week in Las Vegas. Did you pack shorts to wear while site seeing and warmer clothes to wear in the arena? How cold was the arena?

alj5

Last year was closed to visitors. I did go 2 years ago, and it was pretty cold in the arena. I ended up going to Target for a scarf and a thin sweater for an additional layer.

I have family in Vegas, and visit regularly (often around mid October for my cousin's birthday). It's usually warm in the day but cold at night. Not usually warm/hot enough for shorts unless you run hot usually (and I often run hot). Jeans and tshirt are what I usually wear during the day, and add a sweater and jacket for evening.

AnnM

Those of you who went to Skate America last year, what did you pack? It looks like it's going to be in the 80s next week in Las Vegas. Did you pack shorts to wear while site seeing and warmer clothes to wear in the arena? How cold was the arena?
In 2019 I packed a daytime outfit and rink outfit for each day. During the day I usually wore a casual dress and sandals. At the rink I wore a long sleeve or sweater dress, tights or leggings, cardigan, boots, and brought a scarf & mittens with me.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
For any skating competition or hockey game I wear a winter jacket, scarf, gloves and hat in the arena, regardless of the time of the year and place. Woolen socks are a must since I will be fairly close to the ice. For local events I carry an arena blanket. I will most probably carry one to SA.

I will carry a pair of shorts and a swim suit to wear inside the hotel/jacuzzi.

As someone who lives in a desert knows that during the day it will be pleasant (70s) outside at this time of the year, so I will wear a t-shirt and use layered clothing. So there will be a light cardigan to wear under the winter coat. I am going to carry one long sleeve top and a sweat shirt in case the arena is colder than usual. I don't expect it to be too cold late at night (not like Dec/Jan).

A light jacket in the evening is adequate at this time of the year. If it is Dec/Jan more warmer clothing would be needed Outside. I will just wear the winter jacket instead of carrying one more jacket.

I read the email from USFS which said the Orleans arena will require masks (I will carry my K95 and lighter ones too) and will allow one of only two things to carry-

A clear bag 12x12x6 in. Or a clutch/purse That is 4x6x1 inch. I have both. So I will bring both, then decide which one to carry to the arena. I think the clear plastic bag will hold my warm clothing when I am not wearing it. OTOH the small purse would be more convenient to carry.

During day I plan on walking to the arena (1 mile max) but at Night I will use Lyft/Uber to return to the hotel.

Last edited:

mattiecat13

That was another question. I've been to other events where the spectators were supposed to carry a "clear bag" but it wasn't enforced and it seemed the other spectators pretty much carried in whatever kind of tote, purse, bag they wanted. Is the clear bag mandated at this arena?

Thank you all for the suggestions - it is much appreciated!

meggonzo

Banned Member
That was another question. I've been to other events where the spectators were supposed to carry a "clear bag" but it wasn't enforced and it seemed the other spectators pretty much carried in whatever kind of tote, purse, bag they wanted. Is the clear bag mandated at this arena?

Thank you all for the suggestions - it is much appreciated!
It is mandated by the arena https://static.boydgaming.net/orleansarena/media/downloads/2020-OA-Prohibitted-Items-List.pdf

Spikefan

I plan to bring a clear bag but test on Thursday if I can get my regular bag through. If not I will just head up to my room and switch out.

It was mandated by the arena in 2019 but was not enforced. Who knows this year.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I plan to bring my regular bag and see what happens. They mandated a clear bag in 2019 and I didn't bring one and it was fine.

For clothes, I did not bring shorts IIRC. I wore regular clothes (comfortable indoors where it's generally around 70F) and then when in the arena added layers including a winter coat, hat, gloves, scarf, etc. Also, a sweatshirt or sweater. It wasn't particularly hot that I recall (this was in 2019) and I was comfortable when outside the arena. We stayed after and dressing for 70s with a jacket for the evening worked well.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I didn’t think the clear bag mandate was in place in 2019 because I don’t remember even packing my clear bag (and as a rule follower I would have). That feels like 20 years ago now though so I could be completely wrong lol.

The only thing I hate about the clear bag is it has no separate sections so everything is flopping around and not organized. I use little makeup bags to hold some stuff but it’s still not ideal.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I didn’t think the clear bag mandate was in place in 2019 because I don’t remember even packing my clear bag (and as a rule follower I would have). That feels like 20 years ago now though so I could be completely wrong lol.

The only thing I hate about the clear bag is it has no separate sections so everything is flopping around and not organized. I use little makeup bags to hold some stuff but it’s still not ideal.
Amazon.com has a variety of clear bags. Some have pockets and there are some smaller sizes for cosmetics etc.. The one I wanted to order was not available till October end, so I bought the simplest design. Actually it arrived yesterday. Going to open it today.

ETA- Opened my package. It was the cheapest and the simplest bag. I was not sure what to expect but it will work for me. They do have more expensive bags with smaller pockets. I may even see if there is one that could arrive by Oct 20.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I plan to bring my regular bag and see what happens. They mandated a clear bag in 2019 and I didn't bring one and it was fine.

For clothes, I did not bring shorts IIRC. I wore regular clothes (comfortable indoors where it's generally around 70F) and then when in the arena added layers including a winter coat, hat, gloves, scarf, etc. Also, a sweatshirt or sweater. It wasn't particularly hot that I recall (this was in 2019) and I was comfortable when outside the arena. We stayed after and dressing for 70s with a jacket for the evening worked well.
Things have changed a lot since 2019, as we all know. YKW has changed many things that we took for granted.

Last edited:

Spikefan

Maybe it was just a mandated purse size and no backpacks but they let my backpack slide (along with numerous others).

I ordered a clear bag with a clear inner pocket but don’t really like it. I have another arriving today. I plan to bring both in case someone needs one in a pinch.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I ordered another one that has a separate front pocket for the phone. I was concerned about the phone and my glasses when I ordered the first. It cost only $5 more. It is arriving tomorrow. I am likely to keep both but may bring just one to Vegas.

Carolla5501

If they allow anything but clear bags it would certainly be against the trend we see in sporting events.

(And before someone starts whining "it's skating there's no danger" remember Detroit)

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Whatever the bag policy was, it wasn't enforced.
Thank heavens! A lady's purse is intimate and private. I refuse to display the contents for all US Figure Skating to see.

I suppose this is hardly problematic if you are a slovenly millennial,but for the rest of us,how does one go about planning her wardrobe around an ersatz made-in-China clear purse?

-BB

A.H.Black

In 2019 the bag policy was not enforced and, yes, the clear bag policies were in place. Luckily, the staff had done their homework. They seemed to know what to expect from a figure skating crowd and were quite accomodating.

However, it makes sense to acquire a clear bag as future events will almost certainly start to enforce that policy. If not now - soon. I found one for free. I think I bought some sheets that came in the clear plastic container - a zipper and a handle. I will see how it works for me.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So you guys have made me nervous and I just ordered two clear purses. Hopefully at least one of them will show up before we leave.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
You could also just use a clear plastic shopping bag or (gasp) garbage bag, rather than buying an entirely new backpack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information