Similarities Between a Mature Teodora Ungreanu with Mary Lou Retton and Dianne Durham

bardtoob

It is no secret that Teodora Ungreanu went from being a pixie in 1976 to a sturdy built but very fit gymnast by 1979, and Romania felt that it would be better to use young pixies like Amelia Eberle because they scored better in compulsories. The prime example being the 1978 Romanian National Championships AA.

Amelia came into the optionals with a commanding lead from compulsories, 0.975 ahead of a 4th place Teodora, but Teodora kicked @$$ in optionals, closing the gap by 0.5 and placing 2nd.

However, it is easy to see Teodora's potential if there was not a bias against her body type because she was still doing great optionals up to 1979.

Teodora Ungreanu

After watching Teodora's late career balance beam routine construction, I can't ignore its similarity to the balance bean content of Mary Lou Retton and Dianne Durham. I am pretty convinced that Bela modeled their routines after Teodora's late career routines, given that they both had similar strengths to a mature Teodora. Of course, it is easy to tell that Teodora started training her elite basics much earlier than Retton and Durham.

Mary Lou Retton

Dianne Durham

JoshW

It is a shame that there WAS a bias against mature gymnasts. I am so glad that gymnasts like Chusovitina and Chellsie Memmel are computing after the age of 30! I do have a question:
Are there gymnasts (male or female) that had to retire because they became adults, due to one part of their body maturing that prevented him or her from continuing as a competitive elite gymnast?

tylersf

It is a shame that there WAS a bias against mature gymnasts. I am so glad that gymnasts like Chusovitina and Chellsie Memmel are computing after the age of 30! I do have a question:
Are there gymnasts (male or female) that had to retire because they became adults, due to one part of their body maturing that prevented him or her from continuing as a competitive elite gymnast?
I believe there are a few elites who retired due to a physical maturity:
Marta Egervari (HUN) 1976 Olympics - Bronze in UB, 1980 Olympics - Bars Final - Reporter noted she gained weight in the chest and shoulders area. She wasn't seen longer much after that comment.
Ashley Postell (USA) - 2002 Worlds - Gold on Beam, 2003 US Champ on Floor, Injured before 2004 Olympics, withdrew from trials. Many cruel comments in this forum about her body during her successful collegiate career while competing for Utah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information