Shibutanis thread 3: Evolution

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I don't think the actual rhumba ice dance pattern is all that sensual anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue. The Shibs could easily combine it with another Latin rhythm that is more about fun and general partying and there wouldn't be an issue at all.

True. Didn't sibling ice dance teams like the Duchesnays skate to Latin rhythms without it being an issue? it shouldn't be. Dancing doesn't always have to be sensual with that genre.

chapis

Maia also posted this photo with Stacy Walker one of the choreographers for their Sochi FD. Don't know if it means anything.

I know they are great choreographers but their FD (MJ) was not well recieved, and people thought that Penny/Nick´s FD was better. Though the Shibs and their team have more experience now, probably they know better how translate the choreo ideas to the ice now. Anyway, Maia posted a picture with Sergei Onik, I know they already have some time working with him but I have no idea exactly who is him. Thank God in this video he is dancing salsa :). https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ71vQ1hCjA/?taken-by=sergeonik.

I hope they get a great program because they are working really hard. Alex posted that they were working more than 24 continuous hours, and that was immediately after getting off the plane . I think they have not rested for a second since Helsinki and I guess before Worlds they were training like crazy too.

VGThuy

They met with Stacey Walker and Travis Payne before last season as well. They could just be meeting up with old friends.

Spun Silver

^Right, especially the Latin rhythms suit some couples just fine, regardless of their relationship.
No need to hold back!
That comment reminds me of the East Village where I lived for many years next to a public housing project with a big plaza where people would hang out and party, esp on summer nights. Lots of Latin dancing, from tiny tots to abuelas and abuelos. I loved how anyone of any size, shape or age could do it if they had the hips and rhythm. It was like a family or a community thing, not just for couples.

sap5

I don't see why the Shibs would have any problems with Latin. There are plenty of ways to style the rhythms in a fun, non-romantic way, and the rumba pattern is the least sexy thing I've ever seen. There's more room for error when trying to put "the sex" into something anyway. It could end up looking cheesy or just gross.

chapis

They met with Stacey Walker and Travis Payne before last season as well. They could just be meeting up with old friends.

But last year with hip hop, that made more sense.
That comment reminds me of the East Village where I lived for many years next to a public housing project with a big plaza where people would hang out and party, esp on summer nights. Lots of Latin dancing, from tiny tots to abuelas and abuelos. I loved how anyone of any size, shape or age could do it if they had the hips and rhythm. It was like a family or a community thing, not just for couples.

I just saw this, ice dancers can not make excuses :mad: :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZ08JFRZRQ

VGThuy

I hope there's a lot of body shaking and dancing in this SD. Even some more mature ways of moving for both with Maia pushing her body athletically and aesthetically. I think their Coppellia SD was a strong vehicle for them because it was so content-heavy, especially compared to their SD this past season, which I still love but think could have been pushed a lot more especially in the partial step.

sap5

I hope there's a lot of body shaking and dancing in this SD. Even some more mature ways of moving for both with Maia pushing her body athletically and aesthetically. I think their Coppellia SD was a strong vehicle for them because it was so content-heavy, especially compared to their SD this past season, which I still love but think could have been pushed a lot more especially in the partial step.

Agree! All season I wanted Maia especially to own that SD, but she kept skating it like a ballerina asked to do hip hop.

VGThuy

Agree! All season I wanted Maia especially to own that SD, but she kept skating it like a ballerina asked to do hip hop.

Which is a shame because even in the very small clips of seeing her dance on the floor with Aye Hasegawa, it's clear Maia has the moves and attitude. I was really impress with the way she moved and isolated her hip and used her arms from those tiny clips. I wanted
more. I also wonder whether their hip hop
SD maybe should have gone in the creative
direction of their exhibition this season, with a harder, cooler look.

chapis

It is important that they ask for the most obvious choreography for the olympic season. If they go with experts, they have a perspective very different from us, similar to when we watch figure skating with a casual viewer and he/she appreciate only the obvious. Because of that I understand why figure skating choreographers have successful programs, look at Morozov, he has no idea about ballet, he is not expert in ballet, then he choose Swan Lake for Elena/Nikita, and he thought: ¨what I know about Swan Lake....?,.... of course, the girl wear a tutu....what else?....., yes a crown!!, she does something with feet, how is called?....., (he goes to google and he find)... pointe!!....what else?...... and move arms like a bird¨ and voilà
, we have a super successful program because we all who are not expert remember exactly those obvious same things.

VGThuy

Looks like Maia and Alex have been spending the past two days watching Derek Hough and Julianne Hough rehearsing for their upcoming tour. I bet they're getting great pointers on how to dance together as a sibling duo. I remember Derek saying something in the past about having to learn to dance Latin dances and sell it even with his sister as his partner growing up.

https://instagram.com/p/BSw98M_gGH9/

Last edited:

sap5

Looks like Maia and Alex have been spending the past two days watching Derek Hough and Julianne Hough rehearsing for their upcoming tour. I bet they're getting great pointers on how to dance together as a sibling duo. I remember Derek saying something in the past about having to learn to dance Latin dances and sell it even with his sister as his partner growing up.

https://instagram.com/p/BSw98M_gGH9/

I'm usually not bothered by sibling couples, but the Houghs are one of the few who do freak me out a bit.

chapis

I don´t know much about them, I only remember I adored this performance, https://youtu.be/7KChBpxOA1M?t=38, probably it is their most famous dance because the video have 6 million of views. They are incredible.

Right now I was searching a latin dance from them but I only found this https://youtu.be/s2TzPpgrxb8?t=45 , supposedly it is a cha cha cha :huh:. They are one of the most famous siblings dancers and they have not video dancing real latin dance together, are the Shibs getting into prohibited territory or something? :slinkaway

clairecloutier

It is important that they ask for the most obvious choreography for the olympic season. If they go with experts, they have a perspective very different from us, similar to when we watch figure skating with a casual viewer and he/she appreciate only the obvious. Because of that I understand why figure skating choreographers have successful programs, look at Morozov, he has no idea about ballet, he is not expert in ballet, then he choose Swan Lake for Elena/Nikita, and he thought: ¨what I know about Swan Lake....?,.... of course, the girl wear a tutu....what else?....., yes a crown!!, she does something with feet, how is called?....., (he goes to google and he find)... pointe!!....what else?...... and move arms like a bird¨ and voilà
, we have a super successful program because we all who are not expert remember exactly those obvious same things.

LOL at this conception of the Morozov choreographic process :lol:

Shyjosie

Right now I was searching a latin dance from them but I only found this https://youtu.be/s2TzPpgrxb8?t=45 , supposedly it is a cha cha cha :huh:. They are one of the most famous siblings dancers and they have not video dancing real latin dance together, are the Shibs getting into prohibited territory or something? :slinkaway
I guess they won't set their feet on any territory other than ice....

chapis

Did you see that Maia was in a spa with Arden last night?. That girl Arden is so sweet. The place had a temperature of 159 degrees F/ 70 celsius, what a brave girls :eek:, I fainted once with the heat and steam of the shower.

sap5

Which is a shame because even in the very small clips of seeing her dance on the floor with Aye Hasegawa, it's clear Maia has the moves and attitude. I was really impress with the way she moved and isolated her hip and used her arms from those tiny clips. I wanted
more. I also wonder whether their hip hop
SD maybe should have gone in the creative
direction of their exhibition this season, with a harder, cooler look.

I had the same issues with Maia's dancing in the EX that I had with the SD. I want more energy, more commitment, in her movements, to match what's happening with the music. If she were harder in the EX, it would look so much better.

clairecloutier

^^ That surprises me, as T/T just had quite a successful season with Igor. And hasn't she been with Igor forever?? (Maybe that's the problem.)

chapis

^^ That surprises me, as T/T just had quite a successful season with Igor. And hasn't she been with Igor forever?? (Maybe that's the problem.)

Exactly, this season was very successful for them. I wonder what happened? Maybe Igor accepted new teams and T/T thought that Marina is not so crowded with ice dancers.

chapis

I know the time for rants about Worlds is over but I just saw that P/C and V/M got higher score in twizzles (FD) than Maia and Alex :duh: :revenge:.

Massimo is in Los Angeles, I think he is on vacations but I hope he is will checking the choreo for the SD.

VGThuy

Funny to think about the Shibs' bronze medal may be the unhappiest received medal by fans of any of the medalists at Worlds. Even though some Savchenko/Massot or Papadakis/Cizeron's fans passionately argue that their respected faves should have won, the Shibs' bronze feels like it was a result of them surviving a coup. Now that they survived, it's time for them to learn from it and thrive. Funny enough, it wasn't that long ago where I would have loved it and been eternally grateful to the judges and skate gods if they had won a medal of any kind in this field by any means necessary. The problems of heightened expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information