Shanti Rushpaul Choreo

Jupiter

Hello all! I rarely ever post but have been a member since the... '90s I think, lol.

Was wondering if anyone knew about Shanti Rushpaul's work as a choreographer.

Can anyone help out put together a list of her work that I can YouTube?

So far I've got:

Anissina / Peizerat - Romeo & Juliet, 1998.
Wing / Lowe - to the music of Air and Contradanza by Vanessa Mae, 1998.
Klimova / Ponomarkenko - Air, Toccata & Fugue by Bach, 1992.

Maybe's:
Grishuk / Platov - St-James Infirmary, 1993.
Duchesnays - Symphony no. 7 by Beethoven (exhibition), 1994.

Were there teams or skaters that she frequently choregraphed for?

Thank you in advance! I just love her work so much and would love to see more of it! :)

EDIT: spelling corrected. Thank you Sylvia :)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Shanti Rushpaul (correct spelling) also choreographed U.S. pair Tiffany Scott/Rusty Fein's 2005-06 free skate to Verdi's "Force of Destiny": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjX_M1swAO8

P.S. If you'd like to edit your thread title, click on the ••• in the upper right corner of your post #1 and select the "Edit thread" option. :).

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I loved Rushpaul's choreography, particularly for K&P, but I have nothing to add to this list.

Spun Silver

Thanks for this thread. Maybe in the offseason we can do threads like this for all the well known choreographers. They don't get enough credit. I know their work often undergoes many changes that are not of their making or desire, but we might be able to track that too, and still, when a program is great and famous, like say Hanyu's or Savchenko/Massot's OGM free skates, we should have the choreographer's name on the tips of our tongues. I know I don't!

Jupiter

Thanks for this thread. Maybe in the offseason we can do threads like this for all the well known choreographers. They don't get enough credit. I know their work often undergoes many changes that are not of their making or desire, but we might be able to track that too, and still, when a program is great and famous, like say Hanyu's or Savchenko/Massot's OGM free skates, we should have the choreographer's name on the tips of our tongues. I know I don't!

You are most welcome.

Great idea! There are programs whose choreographer I love to find out after I've watched a program, to keep the impression "untainted". So matching choreographers to their work over the summer would be great.

And good point about the sometimes unwanted changes. Though some changes are also positive, like Weaver Poje's FD this year, by Bourne with changes by ??? (Lori Nichol perhaps?).

It would be great if the choreographer could be listed consistently in a skater's wiki article with credit to whoever "arranged" it afterwards, i.e. in the table that tracks all the programs each season. Right now, I don't believe it to be the norm.

Savchenko/Massot's OGM <3 <3 <3

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Has Shanti Rushpaul done programs for anyone this year?

gk_891

According to a thread on her a few years ago, she also did K&P's Lawrence of Arabia as well as some programs forf Winkler & Lohse (can't remember which ones though).

VGThuy

I would kill for her to work for some top ice dance teams heading towards Beijing.

Minou

I believe Shanti Rushpaul choreographed Usova and Zhulin's 1993 free program that won them gold at Worlds?

rupertsurvive

Banned Member
Which should have won gold IMO. G/P’s 1993 Worlds FD was way better than their rock n roll one that won them OGM a year later.

I agree their 93 program was better than their 94 program that won, but that alone does not mean they should have won in 93. The main reason they won in 94 was Usova & Zhulin had such an unspeakably awful free dance that year. And Torvill & Dean's FD was also not that well received by judges for whatever reason. So they won in 94 more or less by default, as long as they stayed within striking distance by not being 3rd in all the other dances.

VGThuy

I agree their 93 program was better than their 94 program that won, but that alone does not mean they should have won in 93. The main reason they won in 94 was Usova & Zhulin had such an unspeakably awful free dance that year. And Torvill & Dean's FD was also not that well received by judges for whatever reason. So they won in 94 more or less by default, as long as they stayed within striking distance by not being 3rd in all the other dances.

I didn’t say that should have been the reason why they won in 1993. I just said they should have won and that their program there was better than their 1994 one in two separate sentences. In fact, I actually think it’s G/P’s best FD ever as I’m not that huge of a fan of their Tarasova work much less the programs Linichuk gave them from 1994-on though I think the GPF version of Memorial was great and much better than it was in Nagano. Their St. James Infirmary FD had much more difficulty, actual skating content, speed, and intricacy than Usova/Zhulin’s crowd pleasing but much easier and posey program. I also preferred G/P darker interpretation. I’m also a bit biased because I hate the Blues for Klook music but Usova/Zhulin’s is like the only program of it that I like. I don’t even like Daisuke Takahashi’s program to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information