Scandinavian skater's news thread

Evilynn

((Swedish skating dudes))

In the article that quote is following the comment that he'd heard that he had to be top 10 at worlds to be considered for the next Olys by SOK, so I don't think he's completly lost his marbles, more like that is what he feels he has to aim for if he wants to go to the olympics again. :lol:

J

Jeschke

In the article that quote is following the comment that he'd heard that he had to be top 10 at worlds to be considered for the next Olys by SOK, so I don't think he's completly lost his marbles, more like that is what he feels he has to aim for if he wants to go to the olympics again. :lol:
so no olympics for joshi either? :EVILLE:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It's silly that the standard is Worlds. Last year, she had a horrible Worlds, but she's also had three mid-teens results at Worlds, and Top 10 Euros results in all five (in a row) appearances.

Her record is much stronger than Majorov's: he only broke 20th place once at Worlds, and Top 10 at Euros once (2013). (He has four 11th place finishes at Euros.) He got to got to Sochi.

Last edited:

Veronica

It's silly that the standard is Worlds. Last year, she had a horrible Worlds, but she's also had three mid-teens results at Worlds, and Top 10 Euros results in all five (in a row) appearances.

Her record is much stronger than Majorov's: he only broke 20th place once at Worlds, and Top 10 at Euros once (2013). (He has four 11th place finishes at Euros.) He got to got to Sochi.

I'm not sure if Joshi has to fulfill the same requirements as Alexander.
SOK kan send athletes to the olympics based on potential, but only one time. To get a second trip they have to show that they can place top eight.

Since Joshi hasn't been to the olympics she could probably get a spot based on potential. And while Joshi doesn't exactly look to have a great future in the sport, neither did Victoria in 2014, and she got it go.

My guess is Joshi can go if she can get Sweden a spot.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Is there a magic formula for deciding who will get Euros spots, like for German Nationals (with caveats)? There are two spots for Ladies, based on Helgesson's 9th in 2016.

At Nationals, Olsson, who was the second Swedish Lady at 2016 Euros and placed 24th (23/24), withdrew, and she hasn't competed internationally this year. (She has the Worlds TES minimums from 2015-16).

The top results at Nationals are:
  • 1 Joshi HELGESSON TibKK 161.69 1 1 (Has Worlds TES minimums)
  • 2 Matilda ALGOTSSON FSoln 154.17 2 2 (Has Euros minimums and Worlds TES FS minimum)
  • 3 Anita ÖSTLUND LanKK 145.09 3 3 (Has Worlds TES minimums from Warsaw Cup)

Algotsson's international results this season:
  • 2016 2016-17 JGP Ljubljana JGP Junior Ladies SP 7 52.43 30.09 22.34
  • 2016 2016-17 Golden Bear Senior Ladies SP 12 46.26 24.86 22.4
  • 2016 2016-17 Golden Spin CS Senior Ladies SP 14 43.8 22.6 22.2
  • 2016 2016-17 Volvo Open Senior Ladies SP 13 43.54 22.94 20.6
  • 2016 2016-17 Golden Bear Senior Ladies FS 3 102.41 53.8 49.61
  • 2016 2016-17 Golden Spin CS Senior Ladies FS 10 94.78 50.46 46.32
  • 2016 2016-17 Volvo Open Senior Ladies FS 4 93.17 48.97 45.2
  • 2016 2016-17 JGP Ljubljana JGP Junior Ladies FS 13 75.22 33.31 42.91
  • 2015 2015-16 Volvo Open Senior Ladies SP 4 47.53 24.73 22.8

Ostlund's international results this season:

• 2016 2016-17 JGP Tallinn JGP Junior Ladies SP 6 46.94 28.4 18.54
  • 2016 2016-17 Warsaw Cup CS Senior Ladies SP 10 45.95 27.83 20.12
  • 2016 2016-17 JGP Croatia JGP Junior Ladies SP 14 40.14 23.19 17.95
  • 2016 2016-17 JGP Yokohama JGP Junior Ladies SP 14 SWE 40.14 23.19 17.95
  • 2016 2016-17 Warsaw Cup CS Senior Ladies FS 7 94.38 52.98 42.4
  • 2016 2016-17 JGP Tallinn JGP Junior Ladies FS 9 81.27 43.75 40.52
  • 2016 2016-17 JGP Croatia JGP Junior Ladies FS 10 SWE 78.99 45.32 36.67
  • 2016 2016-17 JGP Yokohama JGP Junior Ladies FS 10 78.99 45.32 36.67
  • 2015 2015-16 Ice Star Junior Ladies SP 1 52.55 31.83 20.72

S

SmallFairy

Interview with Anne Line and Camilla Gjersem. They are both still injured, Camilla in her knee since August, and Anne Line had a shoulder injury lifting weights. In October, when she was back on the ice, her knee was injured during jumping. She's still not full fitness, but almost. She will compete in EDU Sporty Trophy in Bucuresti to try to get a higher score than June Marie Benjaminsen has produced earlier in the season and be selected for Euros. It didn't seem like Camilla is back to competition fitness yet. At least they are on skates, during the christmas show at their club in Asker, with Sondre Oddvoll Bøe.

Full interview here (in Norwegian)

Everybody is injured, I'm so depressed. I really hope Anne Line can get back in shape, her flip was getting stable last season.

Susan M

I have a soft spot in my heart for this skater. I remember watching the live stream of the ladies SP in Sochi and being really charmed by her skating. She was the skater "on the bubble" for the last spot in the FS and skater after skater came out and placed behind her in the SP. I remember being really happy for her that she qualified for the FS. (I felt bad for the favored skater who messed up to let her in, though.)

Seerek

Algotsson was the higher placed woman at Europeans. Does that have any bearing on Worlds?

turquoiseblue

Alexander Majorov won a bronze medal at Winter Universiade 2017 with 246.56 points! :encore:His clean 4T in both programmes got positive GOEs (1.80 in SP and 2.00 in FS) and he received the highest TES in FS:cheer2:

Here are videos:
SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N-NnnzHwQk
FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utGpQk_3wzw
Congratulations to Sasha! :40beers:

ETA:
Some photos from the medal ceremony:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQGDppDDDDV/

Brons till Alexander Majorov i Universiaden - studentidrottens motsvarighet till olympiska spel
Google Translate:
After the short program yesterday Majorov finished in sixth place with a total score of 81.01, which was his best of the season.

- It was fun to go with such a great audience. Had some small mistakes but otherwise a good ride today, tomorrow it friprogram and that is the case, said Majorov after the short program.

It proved to be a good start - in the free program, he hit new personal best of 246.56 points and finished in third place, Sweden's first medal at the Winter Universiade 2017.

- It was a kanonåk! Great feeling to put everything almost like clockwork. I am very happy and it was fun to have as good support from the audience and everyone in the Swedish team, says a very pleased and happy Alexander.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

npavel

Couldn't they wait for Nordics or were they affraid Algotsson could get a higher score and then they got to stick with her?

S

SmallFairy

Here's the translation of the announcement from the Swedish fed and also Joshi speaking. It explains why they chose Joshi, though I'm interested to see what will happen at Nordics....

Swedish fed: "Joshi's new techinque is starting to come together. She showed that in Haague. It's a very promising development, and we hope to see the results at worlds.

Joshi says: My goal is to skate two clean programs at worlds, I want to show my programs the way I skate them in practice and show that I can do it. I'm in good shape! I'm skating good programs in practice, I did a good sp in Holland last week. I feel better and better for every competition, so it's fun. I really enjoy to represent Sweden and be able to skate at worlds. It's one of the competitions I enjoy the most, I'm really looking forward to it."

Majorov says: - I'm in good, calm, stable shape. My most important goal at worlds is to qualify for OG.

turquoiseblue

Alexander Majorov started a vlog!
https://play.mobicast.tv/sports/alexander-majorov-konstakning

His new social media accounts:
Twitter
Instagram

He also updated his blog:
http://alexandermajorov.com/2017/03/26/new-video-blog/
Hi everyone!

I have started a new video blog, feel free to watch it!
I will try to update the video blog as often as I can, and I will also give you amazing videos as soon as the project have a lot of views :)

All the video blogs are containing English, Russian and Swedish language.

https://play.mobicast.tv/sports/alexander-majorov-konstakning/JkL1JecOVZEV

S

SmallFairy

Swedish elite final took place right before easter. Results senior ladies:

Senior Damer

1. Isabelle Olsson, Mörrums KK, 165.06
  2. Anita Östlund, Landvetter KK, 157.87
  3. Joshi Helgesson, Tibro KK, 157.13

Poor Joshi, her season has not been what she wanted. Hope the Olympic season will work out better for her!

Anita Östlund was awarded two scholarships; The Salchow scholarship of the year and Hans Linds memorial scholarships.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSor9isBohS/?taken-by=skatesweden.se

S

SmallFairy

And to give a shout out to a skater who never made it to the biggest competitions, but still reached the semi-highest level in Norway, landing a 3 loop, having really good spins, wonderful programs and chorography and representing Norway well in several competitions abroad:

After skating for 17 years, Jemima Rasmuss of Asker kunstløpsklubb is retiring. She managed to finally win the senior national title in her final try. She also had a good outing at Nordics. I have a soft spot for these skaters, that works so hard, and hopefully achieves what they can be happy with. Now she's off to Trondheim to study to become an engineer. Thanks Jemima, for so much great skating!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSyQB4ij6Dj/?taken-by=miiimaaa

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRQjLgQDX9Y/?taken-by=miiimaaa

turquoiseblue

Here is a short interview with Joshi Helgesson:
Joshi Helgesson siktar på OS via kval

Google translate
But Joshi Helgesson hopes to qualify this fall and after moving to Toronto last year, she has the best conditions. She is trained by well-known Brian Orser and Ghislain Briand.

- They are really enjoying themselves and we are really well in agreement. Then I practice the ice with Yuzuru Hanyu (prevailing World Cup and Olympic champion) and Javier Fernandez (two World Cup and five Euro gold). There are many famous names.

Joshi Helgesson says that the training layout differs from what she used to be used to before. Now the responsibility rests more on her.

- At home in Sweden I have always had a coach on the ice. Now I have a coach for a short while of the day and then exercise a lot of myself. It has been a great change to come up with what I'm going to do and correct my own mistakes. It was very difficult at first, but it has worked much better towards the end of the season.

Despite the move to Toronto and the best possible training environment, the World Cup became a failure for Joshi Helgesson. After the weak Swedish World Cup, Sweden currently has no Olympic venue in figure skating, either on the women's or men's side. But Joshi Helgesson hopes to qualify in the fall.

- I'm doing everything to be in top shape for that competition, so it will be a different summer than usual. We do not usually be in the best shape in September, but I'll do everything to be it.

What is required then compared to the World Cup?
- Two almost non-free programs. If I do two good yokes then it will suffice.

Alexander Majorov posted a photo of his dad Alexander senior on his Instagram yesterday:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVHVUJSlanJ/
He looks healthy :cheer:

I hope Joshi and Sasha will do well at Nebelhorn :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

S

SmallFairy

More Norwegian skaters are retiring.

Juni-Mari Benjaminsen, who have been our best junior skater for years, going to junior worlds three years in a row, has decided to retire, as she no longer finds the needed motivation, due to personal reason. Juni-Mari was the first Norwegian skater to land a 3,3 combo in competition (jgp) and also competed in Youth Olympics.

One other promising junior, Madeleine Lidholm Torgersen (my coach's daughter), has decided to focus on school, and also retired at the end of the season. She had an emotional, but very good last practice, and finished it off by landing a 3z)

Gutted, as they both had lot of potential:(

On the other hand, another junior I like a lot, Kari Sofie Tellefsen has moved onto the national team, as of next season. Norwegian National team 2017/18:

Elite
Anne Line Gjersem, AKK
Camilla Gjersem, AKK
Sondre Oddvoll Bøe, AKK

Junior
Ellen Yu, OI
Marianne Stålen, AKK
Kari-Sofie Tellefsen, OSK
Frida Berge, AKK

leigh466

With Joshi in Toronto, Danish ice dance being both competitive and hot, and even Norwegian skating on the rise, I thought a news thread would be good.

Of course, I was very much inspired by Anne Line Gjersems Instagram, she doing 3toe3toes in practice, and even sometimes 3flip3toes. She's improving so much every season, can't wait to see what's next. I mean, when was a Norwegian skater doing 3f3t????? :respec:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKvXf8HA5Qi/

Twin sister Camilla is still recovering from her injury. Still on crutches, she's doing rehab with a physiotherapist.

@maatTheViking any news from you neighbors in the south?

Joshi Helgeson shows of a lovely tanolutz:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJBYcmrDWNp/

And her new long program dress:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKtQ6QbAsxD/

Anyone knows anything about Majorov? Is he back to full fitness again? I really, really hope his father is alright too.
Joshi's dress is gorgeous!

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Laurence and Nikolaj just shared a post from the Danish Skating Federation on their Facebook page - the National Olympic Committee had appealed for them to be able to participate in the Olympics, but the IOC rejected the appeal.

https://www.facebook.com/LaurenceNikolaj/posts/1281113875333315

I am sad, but not surprised. I wished it was easier or even possible for her to gain Danish citizenship. I hope they will not feel dejected, but continue their career at Europeans and Worlds.

EDIT: This most likely means there will be one more spot up for grabs at Nebelhorn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information