Savchenko and Massot will not return to competition

danafan

Canadian ladies über
She posted on her instagram a few minutes ago.

Bruno and I have decided not to return to competition. This was an extremely difficult decision and I’m still fighting myself. I really love the adrenaline of competitions, pushing myself over the limit and daily practice. I personally was hoping to continue our career, but unfortunately some parts of the team are missing! To add, the current Pandemic has made everything a little bit harder. Every day is a new challenge, there are also new opportunities and new chances. Thank you to all for your constant support throughout our career together. A big thank you goes to the German Federation, to the coaches, physios, doctors and to all of our incredible fans, friends and family!

clairecloutier

It's official: They will not return to competition.

Sylvia

TBD
This is what Aljona wrote on her Instagram today (ETA - I missed seeing that danafan already copied out the message in post #1):

Dear everyone,

Bruno and I have decided not to return to competition. This was an extremely difficult decision and I’m still fighting myself. I really love the adrenaline of competitions, pushing myself over the limit and daily practice. I personally was hoping to continue our career, but unfortunately some parts of the team are missing! To add, the current Pandemic has made everything a little bit harder. Every day is a new challenge, there are also new opportunities and new chances. Thank you to all for your constant support throughout our career together. A big thank you goes to the German Federation, to the coaches, physios, doctors and to all of our incredible fans, friends and family!

Bruno Massot shared his plans in this March 26 post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CM325-enYms/
Below the French version:

Back to the sources

I finished most of my dreams, but one left I wanted to accomplish with Jean François Ballester.
It is now time to realize this last dream.
You can find me soon in Caen, France, as a coach, at the Acsel Club, where everything started with Jeff.
So it is with the support of @caenofficiel , @acselcaenpatinage , @regionnormandie , @ffsportsdeglace that I wish to create a high-level training centre for couples and individual.
With the current events, it is time to bounce and evolve over and over again,
So see you soon #neverenough #dreambig #caen #figureskating

Announcement on the club's website (plus photos):

A couples and high-level training and training center in Caen
After a few weeks of work, reflection and consultation, we have the honor and the pleasure to announce the return of Bruno MASSOT to ACSEL Caen, this time as a coach.

The (re) establishment of this Couples and High-Level training center will strengthen the training capacity of ACSEL and offer a complete offer in the development of athletes in Ice Sports, from leisure to very high level.

Of course, Bruno will intervene on all sporting levels and with all ACSEL licensees!

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
How is she a bad sport? She's an intense, competitive person. But I don't remember her ever being a bad sport.
Well there was that story about her mooing at a fellow competitor in the Jame/Radford thread. 🤷‍♀️

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Carolla5501

Some of you are so jealous you can’t stand it. She’s retiring

So now you want to come out and trash talker because that makes you look so important.

She’s a great competitor. That doesn’t make her a bad sportsman. she doesn’t like to lose. I realize that what you want women to say is “ oh I’m so happy I came in second”. That’s not who wins Olympic championships. But the princesses aren’t supposed to be unhappy that they lost.

And 5 Olympics is enough? I mean after all there were all those other teams in Germany who were so much better than her and should’ve been sent instead. LOL.

Sylvia

TBD
Here's Bruno's message today (in French then English): https://www.instagram.com/p/COX06QAH_ph/

Hello everyone, I have been very busy with my move over the past few weeks so I didn’t have the time to prepare this announcement for you which is very important to me.
After a very long reflection, I asked myself a lot of questions. Am I ready to resume intensive daily training and at the same time continue my coaching career? Am I ready to compete without my coach? We ended our run on something magical and I think now is the right time to announce our retirement as a competitor.
I would now like to focus on my new life as a coach and on the training center for couples and individuals that I am setting up in Caen, in my city with my family around me which I have missed for all these years.
I would like to thank all the people who supported us and also the public without whom we are nothing.
We look forward to seeing you in the rinks when competing with my athletes or at shows as soon as the health situation improves!

Orm Irian

Aljona brought a young German skater to help with Amilia: https://www.instagram.com/p/COOYvC8Hkef/
Again? :angryfire

I like Aljona a lot, but this is one tendency of hers that I completely disapprove of - using her students for childcare. The blurring of boundaries between a work relationship (coach-student) and a family-ish relationship (in-house babysitter) is bad enough, but even if the skater is being paid for the work she does, she's visibly not old enough to be a qualified nanny or childcare worker operating in a foreign country, and shouldn't be put in that position.

Sylvia

TBD
@Jeschke posted the link to the federation's May 3rd press release in the German news thread:

Last sentence translates to: Aljona Savchenko works as a trainer in Oberstdorf, her international skating school is to be called "Savchenko's Infinity Ice".

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information