Samokhvalov's interview with Evgenia Tarasova

MAXSwagg

I think they were dating for 5 or 6 years, so no wonder it was so hard for them. However, James/Cipres and Hubbell/Donohue are just fine skating after a romantic breakup, so I hope T/M can get there too.

Sigh, they were a really cute couple though...

I agree 100% with this. When they were young, they were still unpolished, but they had this quirky sweetness that just felt comfortable. It felt almost like a cute Disney Channel movie. I miss that.

In general, I think pair skating women these days are the most feisty, aggressive women in the sport, and I love it. Wenjing Sui, Aliona Savchenko, Ksenia Stolbova, and of course Duhamel all have that fire and I don’t think it makes them unfeminine at all. Evgenia does present herself as kind of a “Cinderella” on the ice (I don’t have a better word for it), but she’s strong in her own way and I don’t like how they portray her as a docile little doll.

IIRC, Klimov wanted to take an indefinite break, and Stolbova decided she didn’t want to wait around for 2-3 years only for him to say he didn’t plan on coming back anyways. Fedor wanted to retire and become a coach. Ksenia has the right to make her own decisions and take risks. But since you hate Aliona for doing the same thing, it only makes sense. Funny, I thought you couldn’t get enough of Stolbova/Klimov a few years ago...

I’ve always thought that was weird. I’m a girl, and if I ever date a girl, I would want to call her my “girlfriend”. “Partner” sounds like a euphemism, and the person I love shouldn’t be something to be ashamed of. Okay, gay rant over.

No. I never said Aliona couldn’t do what she wanted. I said they way she did it with Ingo in tow was disrespectful.

And I did not say one negative thing about Stolbova, and am still not over that situation. Nice try, sir, at twisting words. Also try to make an effort at remembering things correctly.

Bigbird

No. I never said Aliona couldn’t do what she wanted. I said they way she did it with Ingo in tow was disrespectful.

And I did not say one negative thing about Stolbova, and am still not over that situation. Nice try, sir, at twisting words. Also try to make an effort at remembering things correctly.

Max, you need to stop lurking on this thread. People might begin to think you had a thing for Aljona. It was so long ago, you need to let it go. Leave the woman alone. :violin:

Mad for Skating

Okay, okay. I can agree that Aliona and Robin had a bit of a messy split, but they eventually reconciled and it’s in the past, unless you’re still stuck in 2014.

I still miss Stolbova/Klimov more than anything in the world, but I don’t think she’s being stupid about it. She didn’t really have any other choice. Only time will tell if it was a good decision.

Also, honey, it’s “ma’am” 😀

Darkverse

It made me super sad too. Not only for how broken Evgenia seems right now, but they always seemed like they were crazy for each other in the "this is going to last forever and ever" sort of way. Looking back a bit and reading this article, it looks like their personal relationship was a casualty of the Olympic stress fallout, post-Olympic depression for sure for her, possibly post-Olympic anger from him.
They broke up earlier than the Olympics. You can rather say that the Olympics were a casualty of their personal split.

Mad for Skating

In case you haven’t heard, Evgenia and Vladimir are moving back to Nina Mozer. I think it’s for the best - Evgenia seemed so much more comfortable with Nina.

Darkverse

Coach hopping rarely turns out well, even when it's a return to a prior coach.
It's not like it was their idea in the first place, Nina Mozer dropped them when going into her semi-retirement. Called them an "old project" too. Now her darling Z/E are out for an indeterminate amount of time, so I guess she decided she might as well go back to the outdated project. Trankov is still going to continue working with them in some capacity.

Darkverse

How about Tursynbaeva? She was with Eteri, left, and is back again now right? I don't imagine that she will medal at worlds but medaling at 4CC is pretty good for her right?
Also a case of not wanting to change the coach in the first place but being compelled to. Elizabet would have stayed with Eteri if it was up to her.

BittyBug

Disgusted
It's not like it was their idea in the first place, Nina Mozer dropped them when going into her semi-retirement. Called them an "old project" too. Now her darling Z/E are out for an indeterminate amount of time, so I guess she decided she might as well go back to the outdated project. Trankov is still going to continue working with them in some capacity.
Those are all good points, although the idea of Mozer reluctantly taking back her rejects is somewhat depressing. T&M deserve a coach who believes in them, but who knows what went on behind the scene.

I guess my comment was prompted by what seems like a pattern with some skaters - looking to external forces to create change that really needs to come from within. Most of all it sounds like Tarasova has lost her passion for the sport. Maybe Mozer is like a comfort blanket (or poncho ;) ) that will help her find a new outlook, but it could also be a longing to rekindle what is no longer.

But I'm glad that Trankov will still be working with them because he seems to have a really good insight into the psychological factors that might be holding T&M back. And I hope that T&M can refind their mojo because such talent should not be lost.

hanca

Values her privacy
Also a case of not wanting to change the coach in the first place but being compelled to. Elizabet would have stayed with Eteri if it was up to her.
That’s what her mother says now. I am not so sure. At the time when Tursynbaeva went to Orser, she was quite underperforming and she was getting lost in Tutberidze’s group. I think her mother would move her pretty soon because she wasn’t getting much attention. Besides, the rule that Russian coaches couldn’t coach foreign skaters were also only used when convenient. E.g. Morozov has always had foreign students and no one made him give them up. I don’t think Tutberidze couldn’t keep Tursynbaeva at that time if she really wanted.

Mad for Skating

Most of all it sounds like Tarasova has lost her passion for the sport. Maybe Mozer is like a comfort blanket (or poncho ;) ) that will help her find a new outlook, but it could also be a longing to rekindle what is no longer.

The reference about the poncho made me smile.

I do agree they’re going back to Mozer because it feels comfortable. It’ll be good short-term, but I do think they need someone who can look at them with fresh eyes and push them in a new way. For now, the goal is Worlds, and if Mozer can get them in a better place so they can medal, that’s great. But if they stay with her too long, I’m afraid they might regress to that cheesy Candyman pair who was TOO comfortable with their arrangement and never tried to change anything. There’s a fine line between comfort and motivation to improve.

Bigbird

Happy for them especially Evgenia. Trankov, regardless of his talents will learn from this as has many great coaches over the years, even more important than your technical skills as a coach you need people skills you need to know how to extract the best out of your skaters. I think this will be a character building experience for him, he will only become a better coach after this, if this is what he truly wants to do.

Tinami Amori

- Re T/M's break up of personal relationship. They are doing just fine "as just friends" off the ice. plenty of fotos on social media. Skating couples break up, and remain partners and win.. V/M etc..

- Evgeniya is not "crushed" over a "boyfriend"... :D, she has real goals in life (winning events), and when one has real goals in life, boyfriend/girlfriend break ups are secondary and not important (although it is harder when people are partners in other venues).

- As to "Mozer issue"...
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...er-to-spring-2019.105022/page-29#post-5535585

Mad for Skating

- Re T/M's break up of personal relationship. They are doing just fine "as just friends" off the ice. plenty of fotos on social media. Skating couples break up, and remain partners and win.. V/M etc..

- Evgeniya is not "crushed" over a "boyfriend"... :D, she has real goals in life (winning events), and when one has real goals in life, boyfriend/girlfriend break ups are secondary and not important (although it is harder when people are partners in other venues).

- As to "Mozer issue"...
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...er-to-spring-2019.105022/page-29#post-5535585

I agree Evgenia and Vladimir still seem to be on good terms. Hopefully the skating will come together for them soon. I know James and Cipres started skating better after their romantic breakup.

By the way, Virtue and Moir never confirmed that they ever dated. But that’s another discussion.

Bigbird

I agree Evgenia and Vladimir still seem to be on good terms. Hopefully the skating will come together for them soon. I know James and Cipres started skating better after their romantic breakup.

By the way, Virtue and Moir never confirmed that they ever dated. But that’s another discussion.

Yes they did when they were like what 7 and 9 years old. :)

Tinami Amori

from what i see on social media, they also go out and have fun after practice, as friends. which is a perfectly normal situation for people with brains. i don't get the "never want to see your face" after break-ups/divorces, unless something "ugly" happened. (nor the stupid saying often heard in Russia that there is not such thing as "true friendship" between a man and a woman).
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm6biAnjAVF/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BliNU97B3HL/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmoM1mghdPn/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmofsIdASVd/ (flip the > fotos)

Mad for Skating

from what i see on social media, they also go out and have fun after practice, as friends. which is a perfectly normal situation for people with brains. i don't get the "never want to see your face" after break-ups/divorces, unless something "ugly" happened. (nor the stupid saying often heard in Russia that there is not such thing as "true friendship" between a man and a woman).
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm6biAnjAVF/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BliNU97B3HL/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmoM1mghdPn/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmofsIdASVd/ (flip the > fotos)

Very cute! I think it’s best to stay on good terms with your exes whenever possible. It’s not always easy, but I’m glad to see they still care about each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information