Ryan Evans 'confirmed' gay

On My Own

Kenny Ortega, who directed the movie trilogy, previously discussed Ryan's alluded sexuality.

"I was concerned because it was family and kids, that Disney might not be ready to cross that line and move into that territory yet," Ortega told Variety in 2020. "So, I just took it upon myself to make choices that I felt that those who were watching would grab."

The director, who is gay, said he preferred to make Ryan queer-coded out of the worry that Disney would not approve of him being out.

Do you agree with Ortega that this would have happened with Disney in 2006?

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I can't put my finger on it but this title seems offensive. Why would anyone need to have someone else's sexuality confirmed to them? Strange....

skatingguy

decently
I can't put my finger on it but this title seems offensive. Why would anyone need to have someone else's sexuality confirmed to them? Strange....
In this case we're talking about a fictional character, so it's a little different.

Amy L

Sounds like something JK Rowling would do tbh
Didn't she do that with Dumbledore? I got the inkling of the idea in the books, but it was never outright stated til years after the series ended and she announced it at a fan event.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I have no idea who this is and I don't care who is gay and who is not.
So: Where is the problem?

Winnipeg

I agree with the notion that any person's sexuality is not news and is a private concern/info.

gkelly

Maybe the thread title should clarify who Ryan Evans is (a fictional character), since it's a very common name unremarkable/unmemorable name especially for posters who are not familiar with the source material.

The first post also doesn't clarify much, especially without clicking the link, for posters unfamiliar.

On My Own

Maybe the thread title should clarify who Ryan Evans is (a fictional character), since it's a very common name unremarkable/unmemorable name especially for posters who are not familiar with the source material.

The first post also doesn't clarify much, especially without clicking the link, for posters unfamiliar.
Is it really worth asking a mod to edit the title?

But I did assume many here would be familiar with the movie series :lol:

For those confused, Ryan Evans is a character from the High School Musical trilogy. He was rather flamboyant, and many viewers assumed he was gay, but it was kind of implied he dated a girl in the third movie.

In this TV show based on the movie, this character was indeed confirmed as being gay. Kenny Ortega (who directed the movies) said he and his team put in many hints, but they were afraid the Disney wouldn't be ready for someone gay in the late 2000s, when these movies happened.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I didn't know who the character/person was or even now. Since it's been a weird wild summer of OTT stuff of BARBIE! I just assumed it was a weird rumor trivia.

Plus, my thoughts were: uhm ok?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
It’s 2023. For me, knowing the sexual preference of anyone, real or imagined, is about as important as knowing that they are left handed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information