Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

On My Own

Why did US media outlets + George Takei suddenly tweet about Valieva's gala program and praise her? ❓ No longer care about the scandal, just want to do PR or what?

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

On My Own

Because her video went viral on TikTok and many news outlets decided to run with it.
So they did forget about the scandal and want to do PR? I am confused about what the point is to keep up with trash like tik tok, unless the news outlets are run by 10 year olds. I am guessing it went viral there because it's filled with dumbass 10 year olds in the first place.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
It truly is a strange choice. Like I can see running it then balancing it with talking about some of the affected athletes about how it feels to still not having a medal, but to play it off as just fun and quirky with a one line mention of everything else is bizarre.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
It truly is a strange choice. Like I can see running it then balancing it with talking about some of the affected athletes about how it feels to still not having a medal, but to play it off as just fun and quirky with a one line mention of everything else is bizarre.
Honestly, the people covering social media don’t cover the Olys and vice versa. I’d guess most stories didn’t connect the dots if they even knew who she was to begin with.

Sylvia

TBD
A sampling of headlines and media outlets (remember it is the week between Xmas and New Year's):

People.com
Kamila Valieva Recreates Viral Wednesday Dance in Skating Routine
16-year-old Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva paid homage to the hit Netflix series Wednesday with a move-for-move recreation of Jenna Ortega

Yahoo News (reprinted from insider.com)
Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva recreated Jenna Ortega's viral 'Wednesday' dance on ice — complete with costume and makeup
Valieva sported long, black pigtail braids and a black dress nearly identical to the one Jenna Ortega wore in "Wednesday."

NME ("The world’s defining voice in music and pop culture")
Watch pro figure skater recreate Jenna Ortega's iconic 'Wednesday' dance
16-year-old professional figure skater Kamila Valieve has recreated Jenna Ortega's iconic dance routine from 'Wednesday'

Cosmopolitan
A Figure Skater Recreated the Viral 'Wednesday' Dance on Ice and Truly Nailed It
Figure skater Kamila Valieva just recreated the viral Wednesday dance on ice and truly nailed it—watch here.

Yahoo
Kamila Valieva Recreates Viral Wednesday Dance in Figure Skating Routine Inspired by Netflix Hit

Billboard
A Figure Skater Just Recreated Wednesday Addams‘ ’Goo Goo Muck’ Dance on Ice
Kamila Valieva took the 2023 Russian Figure Staking Championships by storm last week by performing a routine to The Cramps' “Goo Goo Muck”...

Narcity (Canada)
An Olympic Skater Did Jenna Ortega's 'Wednesday' Dance On Ice & TikTokers Say She Crushed It
3 days ago (earliest that I've seen)

TODAY (NBC)
Figure Skater Re-creates Viral Wednesday Addams Dance On Ice
Kamila Valieva gave the judges a dark and moody treat at the 2023 Russian Figure Staking Championships when she performed a version of Jenna...

NBC10 Philadelphia
Kamila Valieva Recreates Viral Wednesday Addams Dance Scene on Ice

Last edited:

Vagabond

So they did forget about the scandal and want to do PR? I am confused about what the point is to keep up with trash like tik tok, unless the news outlets are run by 10 year olds. I am guessing it went viral there because it's filled with dumbass 10 year olds in the first place.
I can't be bothered to look this up, but I suspect that the "media outlets" covering Valieva's are largely different from the ones that covered the doping scandal, with the former being ones related to entertainment and gossip and the latter being devoted to hard news and sports.

Cachoo

But even if it did go viral on tiktok because of bots, it just fails my understanding as to why US media outlets would make a news story about it.
US media is not a monolith. And the competition is fierce for eyeballs. They will never be on the same page with any given issue.

On My Own

US media is not a monolith. And the competition is fierce for eyeballs. They will never be on the same page with any given issue.
Except outlets like People literally did talk about the scandal in February...

Blame capitalism all you want, but I think this is more about stupidity, and perhaps a misplaced empathy. Even if Valieva deserves slack, advertising her (frankly, garbage) program is beyond the pale when the case isn't settled.

Cachoo

Blame capitalism all you want, but I think this is more about stupidity, and perhaps a misplaced empathy. Even if Valieva deserves slack, advertising her (frankly, garbage) program is beyond the pale when the case isn't settled.
I’m not defending them—it is that they are so dependable when it comes to forgetting the past and even the present when it comes to making a buck. It is unfortunate.

Vagabond

Don't you have better things to do than raise questions about People's editorial choices on a figure skating forum?

I know, I know, but sheesh!

greenapple

I find it ironic that Valieva has a program that related to one of the most classic American TV series of all time, given all the hyperbole the Ruskies spew about how the western world is its enemy.

I clicked on a video to see what all the hype was about, and after 30 seconds I was like this is one big yawn. Just another boring as hell program from Gleikhengauz.

greenapple

I’m more offended that they’re promoting a Russian figure skater's program with Russia invading Ukraine.
Me too. That those outlets not only conveniently decided to overlook the carnage Russia is causing in Ukraine to get hits about a person the Russians are promoting, but who is also the reason the Team Event medals have not been awarded, is beyond offensive.

znhurston

The ad-based economic model for journalism collapsed years ago. Now, as a former journalist I am sad to say, that most of what passes for "news" these days is "click bait," more designed to attract eyeballs than to inform.

znhurston

The ad-based economic model for journalism collapsed years ago. Now, as a former journalist I am sad to say, that most of what passes for "news" these days is "click bait," more designed to attract eyeballs than to inform.
Also, and perhaps mine is a minority view, but my initial reaction of Valieva's "Wednesday" program was: WTF! First her coaches create a long program for her about the emotional trauma they created and she endured during the Beijing Olympics. Now they dress her up like human vampire in a figure skating rip-off of Netflix series about the daughter in the Addams Family.
It's all a bit much for me. But you have to hand it to Team Tuberidze: No one brings the gas lighting and drama better than them.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Can I just puke - here's a quote from the Today article: "However, Valieva has also been at the center of a brief controversy. At the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics, officials learned that she failed a drug test before competing."

A brief controversy? :blah:
I'd love to ask Nathan, Vincent, Karen, Alexa, Brandon, Madison x 2, Zach, Evan, Shoma, Yuma, Wakaba, Kaori, Riku, Ryuichi, Misato, and Tim how brief it's been.

coppertop1

Completely tone deaf and stupid for so many reasons. Russia is literally the reason why the USA doesn't have their medals from the Team Event. Way to respect them. Then there's the war, which Valieva is literally being used as propaganda for. How stupid they be?

Amy L

I'd love to ask Nathan, Vincent, Karen, Alexa, Brandon, Madison x 2, Zach, Evan, Shoma, Yuma, Wakaba, Kaori, Riku, Ryuichi, Misato, and Tim how brief it's been.
A year can feel like a long time for humans, but maybe the person who wrote the Today article was thinking from the perspective of a sequoia?

sorry.

Bigbird

Russia: Defiantly and blatantly dopes repeatedly.
Clean athletes: You shouldn't be here!
Russia You're all a bunch of meanies! 😭
Russia invaded Ukraine and uses their athletes for propaganda, and is banned
Russia: Sports and politics shouldn't be mixed 😭
About sums it up. But do they understand though. Some seem rather oblivious, meaning the athletes as propaganda...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information