Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a brand new thread for general discussion of Russian figure skating news & issues...

The separate thread focusing on Russian women/girls is here:

Stephanie

gatorinfl

From AbsoluteSkating on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/absoluteskating/status/1498299456101494784
IOC EB recommends that International Sports Federations and sports event organisers not invite or allow the participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes and officials in international competitions.

I’m not surprised this is happening. No Russian skaters at Worlds most likely. I wonder about non-Russian skaters who train in Russia. Doesn’t Morisi Kvitelashvili train with Eteri? Are there others?

Trillian

I’m not surprised this is happening. No Russian skaters at Worlds most likely. I wonder about non-Russian skaters who train in Russia. Doesn’t Morisi Kvitelashvili train with Eteri? Are there others?

I would imagine most of the Georgian team trains in Russia. Not sure if this is still true, but I know at one point they didn’t even have a rink in Georgia. A handful of other skaters as well, mostly representing former Soviet countries. I don’t see any reason they’d be barred from competition even if Russia is, but current events could certainly make training and travel more complicated.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Don’t a bunch of non-Russian skaters train in Russia (Brendan Kerry, German pair, Spanish dance team, etc)?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
All of Georgia's skaters/teams who have the ISU TES mins to compete at Worlda (Kvitelashvili, Maysuradze, Egadze, Gubanova, Urushadze, Safina/Berulava, Metelkina/Parkman, and Kazakova/Reviya) train in Russia. Same with Azerbaijan's and Kazahkstan's skaters. Belarus' singles skaters split time between Moscow & Minsk and their Pairs & Dance teams train in Minsk.

Several other skaters/teams who train in Russia split their time between Russia and their home countries or are known to not be in Russia at the moment (Brendan Kerry, Hase/Seegert).

Not sure the status of Samoilov POL, Reshtenko CZE, Australia's pairs teams, and the dance teams of Mitrofanova/Kasinskij BIH, Mazingue/Gaidajenko EST, and Mueller/Dieck GER.

ETA - teams mentioned are ones who have ISU Worlds TES mins. There are others who train in Russia but Worlds isn't a consideration for them at this time, though they might also be reevaluating their training options too.

Karen-W

Don’t a bunch of non-Russian skaters train in Russia (Brendan Kerry, German pair, Spanish dance team, etc)?
Sara Hurtado has been in Spain since before the Olympics began - she was part of the Spanish broadcast team, so I don't think Hurtado/Khaliavin are currently training.

Marta24

German dance and pairs teams are in Germany. I strongly suppose they'll be reevaluating their training options.
Fusar Poli could be an alternative for the dance teams. Not sure though where the pair teams could go. Unless they decide to go to Canada, but that would probably be too expensive.

Karen-W

Fusar Poli could be an alternative for the dance teams. Not sure though where the pair teams could go. Unless they decide to go to Canada, but that would probably be too expensive.
There is a small pairs training center in Bergamo - the Italian pairs and Barquero/Zandron are there, plus there is Obertsdorf, and Bruno is trying to start is pairs center in France. There are plenty of decent options in western Europe.

Marta24

The German teams used to train only in Germany, so id guess they could just return.

I think Müller and Dieck used to train with Barbara Fusar Poli? Personally I don't think the training in Russia seems to have helped them, I found them very sloppy this season.
Koch/Nüchtern used to train in Italy, not sure about Müller/Dieck. Yeah, it was disappointing that they didn't qualify for the FD at the Olympics.

angi

Dave from TSL just said that Annabelle Morozov has teamed with Devid Narizhny (Nikolai Morozov is visiting rinks in New Jersey right now, so he was the direct source).
So Morozv teamed up with Zhuk partly in order to find his daughter another partner. I'm surprised they were fine with breaking up Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy tbh. Sounds like Elizaveta Shanaeva kind of got shafted if this is true.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I didn't really see much future for Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy TBH. They got bronze at Junior World two years ago but this season they finished 9th of 10 at Skate Canada with 160.66 and debuted at Nationals behind Davis/Smolkin, Khuda/Bazin, and Morozov/Bagin who all scored 175-180 on the senior GP. It would have been hard for them to pull up.

Bigbird

So Morozv teamed up with Zhuk partly in order to find his daughter another partner. I'm surprised they were fine with breaking up Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy tbh. Sounds like Elizaveta Shanaeva kind of got shafted if this is true.
Did she want to continue though? They sort of hit a plateau? I wonder also if Bagin just wanted to move on. But will they skate for Russia? Where will they compete? They're starting over with new partners at 21 and 22. Hmmm.

angi

Did she want to continue though? They sort of hit a plateau? I wonder also if Bagin just wanted to move on. But will they skate for Russia? Where will they compete? They're starting over with new partners at 21 and 22. Hmmm.
For me, I expected the split to happen since their disastrous Russian nationals in 2021 and I was kind of shocked Morozov "forgave" Bagin for what happened there considering how he treated him when they came off the ice.
I obviously don't know if Shanaeva wanted to continue or not (I don't think they gave any indication they were considering stopping) but it was only their first senior season so one would expect whatever the results were to not demoralize them too much considering this is a building phase.
I just think that if it's true, and combined with the rumored split of Shevchenko/Eremenko, it raises questions regarding what's happening at Sivinin/Zhuk school, at least for me.

mjb52

Things have seemed sort of off in Russian skating all year, even though the skaters themselves have done well. There has been a weird vibe and tension. I thought it was because of all the drama with Eteri and Plush and just the general weirdness in the world overall. S/B coming to the Olympics late without anyone seeming to know exactly why seemed weird too. I wonder if Morozov integrating into Svinin/Zhuk has just thrown the whole thing into chaos. But also of course it becomes tempting to read backward into the situation with hindsight and wonder if they felt a tension in Russia itself without knowing exactly why. That's probably wrong but it's sort of natural to have what I know now color my backward view.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
It's completely understandable if Narizhnyy doesn't want to skate for/in Russia anymore. If the new team is becoming public I guess this has been in train since early in the year but still, it seems clear now that he's made the right choice for himself, regardless of how things go with his partnership with Annabelle.

(Shanaeva/Narizhnyy's River FD is possibly the programme I've watched most from the last quad.)

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Regardless of world situation, I feel like the writing has been on the wall for a long time that Annabelle needs a stronger partner.

I’m not sure it’s really going to matter much or at all internationally if no one can compete, but I think maybe Russian ice dance needs some switches looking towards success in the future. They have a lot of teams and junior success, but it felt like the ceilings were low in terms of champion potential down the road on the senior level.

Bigbird

For me, I expected the split to happen since their disastrous Russian nationals in 2021 and I was kind of shocked Morozov "forgave" Bagin for what happened there considering how he treated him when they came off the ice.
I obviously don't know if Shanaeva wanted to continue or not (I don't think they gave any indication they were considering stopping) but it was only their first senior season so one would expect whatever the results were to not demoralize them too much considering this is a building phase.
I just think that if it's true, and combined with the rumored split of Shevchenko/Eremenko, it raises questions regarding what's happening at Sivinin/Zhuk school, at least for me.
I thought Shev was ill. They have split?

irenemulindwairen

Svinin/Zhuk just failed their students. That's all I can say.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Zhulin claiming changing the nationality for the sports is kind of being a traitor.
Tarasova is talking about making the international competitions with the countries who are still in touch with Russia - Belarus/China and some others. Viner (rhythmic gymnastics) is talking about holding competitions with Mongolia. The trouble is football - that's where the money is and having only the national competitions would not attract many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information