Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

Kagapol are right there.
You think? Me no think so. I prefer Irina and Dario?

Albeit nobody is giving me the IK vibes that I got from their first waltz or shindlers list. Between her catlike knees and everything and his glide. If only K was as theatrical as Drozd or Shabalin. So yeah, still in waiting mode.

Have I set the bar too high?

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Diana Davis may be a good young person, she, as an ice dancer, can't skate. She can't hold edges for long, she has about zero musicality or music understanding, and she can only perform well when the program is rehearsed to death.
Mind you, I know another ice dancer who is the same but at least said ice dancer understand her music.

Davis&Smolkin were grossly overscored. They are no better than team that finished behind them at russian nationals. And IMO they are in dire need of a technical coach to teach her how to skate. Meaning the switch this summer is interesting because that center does teach some of the best basics in ice dance. Of course they are dense as far as choreo is concerned and can't package their teams. But IMO I don't understand why Eteri didn't pack them to Zhulin.

Bigbird

Diana Davis may be a good young person, she, as an ice dancer, can't skate. She can't hold edges for long, she has about zero musicality or music understanding, and she can only perform well when the program is rehearsed to death.
Mind you, I know another ice dancer who is the same but at least said ice dancer understand her music.

Davis&Smolkin were grossly overscored. They are no better than team that finished behind them at russian nationals. And IMO they are in dire need of a technical coach to teach her how to skate. Meaning the switch this summer is interesting because that center does teach some of the best basics in ice dance. Of course they are dense as far as choreo is concerned and can't package their teams. But IMO I don't understand why Eteri didn't pack them to Zhulin.
You'd think Zhulin would be the first option after Morozov considering what Morozov did for Shibnev and partner in one season, right? But...you cannot make this stuff up.

Sylvia

TBD
Sad news for Gordeeva & Grinkov fans...

A remarkable Soviet figure skater, winner of the World and European Championships, coach Stanislav Leonovich passed away

At the age of 63, the Soviet figure skater and coach Stanislav Leonovich died in France.

... Since 1977, he performed in a duet with Marina Pestova. Together they have achieved great results. Pestova - Leonovich won the USSR championships three times - in 1980, 1982 and 1983.

In 1980, Pestova-Leonovich won their first bronze medals at the European Championships in Gothenburg and the World Championships in Dortmund. Two years later, they became silver medalists of the European Championship in Lyon and the World Championship in Copenhagen.

At their first World Championships in 1978, the skaters performed the most difficult lifts on one arm and two triple twists. This happened a year after they paired up and started training with Stanislav Zhuk.

At the Olympic Games in Lake Placid, Pestova - Leonovich stopped a step away from the podium, took 4th place.
I'm glad Katia Gordeeva got to meet up with her former coach in Paris after a long time - she shared a photo and her tribute today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CflAnw6Loqi/

Vagabond

But IMO I don't understand why Eteri didn't pack them to Zhulin.

You'd think Zhulin would be the first option after Morozov considering what Morozov did for Shibnev and partner in one season, right? But...you cannot make this stuff up.
Now? Sending them to live in Russia to work with a coach who is a vocal supporter of Russia's invasion of Ukraine is not going to helo gain Smolkin U.S. citizenship or curry favor with USFS. Davis & Smolkin have no realistic prospect of competing internationally unless they change federations, and USFS is the logical choice.

Or previously? Just as I wouldn't to send my daughter, if I had one and lived in Russia, to train with Tutberidze, I wouldn't send her to Zhulin either. :yikes:

hanca

Values her privacy
Now? Sending them to live in Russia to work with a coach who is a vocal supporter of Russia's invasion of Ukraine is not going to helo gain Smolkin U.S. citizenship or curry favor with USFS. Davis & Smolkin have no realistic prospect of competing internationally unless they change federations, and USFS is the logical choice.

Or previously? Just as I wouldn't to send my daughter, if I had one and lived in Russia, to train with Tutberidze, I wouldn't send her to Zhulin either. :yikes:
Not only that, but Zhulin has already refused them once. When Diana was starting with ice dance, Tutberidze approached him and he made some excuse that he wouldn’t want the responsibility of coaching a child of a colleague coach. There was a gossip that he couldn’t be bothered with a complete ice-dance beginner, but then again he didn’t mind coaching Stavitskaya when she switched to ice dance at the age of 19, so I am not sure what the real reason was. But I don’t think Tutberidze would approach him second time.

And, Zhulin is even worse than Tutberidze when his students leave him. He kept complaining about Ilynikh and Katsalapov in interviews even three years after they left him! I was surprised that he agreed to coach Sinitsina/Katsalapov.(and surprised that Katsalapov was willing to approach him, after all the complaining about him in interviews for such a long time.)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
She’s baaaaack!!!!!
With a new big designer bag, too?

irenemulindwairen

Albeit nobody is giving me the IK vibes that I got from their first waltz or shindlers list. Between her catlike knees and everything and his glide. If only K was as theatrical as Drozd or Shabalin. So yeah, still in waiting mode.

I also prefer khavronina Chirisano.

Perky Shae Lynn

I thought the Newlyweds had been dating for a while? Seemed pretty in love at competitions. But given the state of current events, we may never know the story behind this wedding.

Ena Grins

I thought the Newlyweds had been dating for a while? Seemed pretty in love at competitions. But given the state of current events, we may never know the story behind this wedding.
I must have really not been paying attention, because I had no idea they were a couple. I totally believe it - he always seemed very supportive/protective - I just managed to miss it completely. But I think you're right, we'll never know what exactly happened.

airgelaal

"russian rocket" in Stockholm 🤬

reut

"russian rocket" in Stockholm 🤬
LOL, they closed comments (only under two posts related to her). I wonder why. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information