Russia planned cyber-attack on Tokyo Olympics, says UK

Vagabond

Russian military intelligence services were planning a cyber-attack on the Japanese-hosted Olympics and Paralympics in Tokyo this summer in an attempt to disrupt the world’s premier sporting event, the UK National Cyber Security Centre has revealed, disclosing a joint operation with the US intelligence agencies.

The Russian cyber-reconnaissance work covered the Games organisers, logistics services and sponsors and was under way before the Olympics was postponed due to coronavirus....

The evidence is the first indication that Russia was prepared to go as far as to disrupt the summer Games, from which all Russian competitors had been excluded because of persistent state-sponsored doping offences.
:eek:

If true, then the sanctions against Russian athletes ought to be broadened. And if that means that the 3A's are stuck in Russia doing 3A's and quads in domestic competition, then so be it!

Admins, please feel free to move this thread to another subforum.

hanca

Values her privacy
I wish sport was completely separated from politics. Athletes would compete regardless of their nationality, based on their achievements rather than quotas per country. Only the best of the best would compete, rather than the best from each country. The nationality of the athletes would not be published (although who is really interested, they can always find it on the internet). Then none of the countries would be using olympics for their political games.

Pulling the best skaters in the world from competition for something they didn’t do, it didn’t feel right last time and it won’t feel right when it happens again. All those power games make me just sick of the whole Olympics. If more people start feeling like that, soon there may be no motivation to have any Olympics, if one side of the political spectrum can decide to get rid of competitors who are threat to their own competitors...

Orm Irian

I wish sport was completely separated from politics. Athletes would compete regardless of their nationality, based on their achievements rather than quotas per country. Only the best of the best would compete, rather than the best from each country. The nationality of the athletes would not be published (although who is really interested, they can always find it on the internet). Then none of the countries would be using olympics for their political games.
And how would these athletes be funded, or are we going to go back to the era when only the independently wealthy got to compete?

hanca

Values her privacy
The way the athletes are funded in the poorer countries. Their own money. If the country wants to contribute, it is up to the country, but the country would not have the fame from the competition. No playing the national anthems, no flags... instead of national anthems there would be one olympic anthem played for every winner.

Tinami Amori

Oh, well..... there goes Evgeniya Medvedeva's position as a "Russian Ambassador for the Tokyo Olympics" (which her family obtained for her in a sneaky way while still being a competitive athlete for a Winter Sport.)

Sylvia

TBD
A four-day hearing in a landmark legal case that could strip Russia of its identity at the next two Olympic Games and four years of world championships opened on Monday.
The Court of Arbitration for Sport said the dispute between the World Anti-Doping Agency and its Russian affiliate, known as RUSADA, began at an undisclosed location in Lausanne with some parties including the three judges joining by video link.
The CAS panel of judges from Australia, France and Italy are unlikely to give a ruling for at least several weeks. A further appeal is possible at Switzerland’s supreme court.
According to a more recent AP article: "A verdict in the landmark doping case that could strip Russia of its identity at the Olympics is expected within two months, the Court of Arbitration for Sport said Thursday."

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Oh, well..... there goes Evgeniya Medvedeva's position as a "Russian Ambassador for the Tokyo Olympics" (which her family obtained for her in a sneaky way while still being a competitive athlete for a Winter Sport.)
Medvedeva is now in your favourite group, so perhaps you should change back to being her huge fan! :p

Tinami Amori

Medvedeva is now in your favourite group, so perhaps you should change back to being her huge fan! :p
I know exactly "where Medvedeva is now"........ nothing will change my mind about her trickery and bad choices.

CaliSteve

So tell us, what did Medvedeva's family do to get her that position?

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Why should Russian athletes suffer for what the Russian military does?

It’s the new thing! Soviet Union never faced so much bad press and punishment

It needs to be explained by Putinism is viewed as worse than communism among all westerners

Last edited:

Japanfan

I wish sport was completely separated from politics. Athletes would compete regardless of their nationality, based on their achievements rather than quotas per country. Only the best of the best would compete, rather than the best from each country.
In the case of FS, that would mean that there would be heavy over-representation of athletes from FS powerhouses. It would become a competition largely between the US, Russia, Canada, China and Japan, with France and Italy possibly allowed in.

Skaters from countries that are not FS skating powerhouses would have less of a chance of moving up through the ranks. The likes of Yuna Kim and Denis Ten might not have reached their potential.

Besides, a World championship should include athletes from all over the world, as should the Olympics (obviously).

hanca

Values her privacy
In the case of FS, that would mean that there would be heavy over-representation of athletes from FS powerhouses. It would become a competition largely between the US, Russia, Canada, China and Japan, with France and Italy possibly allowed in.
Who cares? If you watch skating only because of admiration for the sport, it shouldn’t matter to you where the skaters are from. So what if they were just from a few countries?
Skaters from countries that are not FS skating powerhouses would have less of a chance of moving up through the ranks. The likes of Yuna Kim and Denis Ten might not have reached their potential.
That’s not quite true though. Skaters like Yuna Kim and Denis Ten still would have smaller competitions to attend, win them, climb through the ranking and get to the championships because it would be based on their skills. If they are winning all qualifying competitions, there is no way they would be left off the championships, if it is based on their skills.
Besides, a World championship should include athletes from all over the world, as should the Olympics (obviously).
Should it? Is it a miss world event, or is it a sporting event? I believe it is supposed to be a sporting event, so I don’t think including all countries should be more important than having the best of the best competing there.

Japanfan

Who cares? If you watch skating only because of admiration for the sport, it shouldn’t matter to you where the skaters are from. So what if they were just from a few countries?

I care and plenty of others do as well. I an not watching only for the admiration of the sport, but also because I appreciate the athletes. Including athletes from non-powerhouse FS skating nations who get a chance to compete on the world see.

Excluding skaters from non= powerhouse FS countries would limit the countries that could send a team. It would be quite boring, I would expect.

Vagabond

The Olympic movement is meant to bring athletes together from as many countries around the world to promote understanding. It is not meant to be a faceoff between powerhouse countries.

If you don't like that, you are free to start your own quadrennial competition. :)

hanca

Values her privacy
The Olympic movement is meant to bring athletes together from as many countries around the world to promote understanding. It is not meant to be a faceoff between powerhouse countries.

If you don't like that, you are free to start your own quadrennial competition. :)
In the complete beginnings of the Olympics, was it really about promoting various countries, or were the sporting achievements more important? Were the olympic games created to show everyone that everyone lived in different places, or did it start to celebrate what human beings can actually achieve? And when did it actually convert into promoting countries rather than the sport as such?

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I care and plenty of others do as well. I an not watching only for the admiration of the sport, but also because I appreciate the athletes. Including athletes from non-powerhouse FS skating nations who get a chance to compete on the world see.

Excluding skaters from non= powerhouse FS countries would limit the countries that could send a team. It would be quite boring, I would expect.
But you still exclude countries. For example, there is 24 spots in figure skating males category and there is 195 states in the world. So even if every country had just one spot, that leaves majority countries without. So the argument about everyone being able to participate is a bullshit.

ETA: In fact, only 20 countries had a lady competing in ladies event and 21 countries in men. So that’s one tenth of the countries had a skater in ladies and/or men’s event.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
But you still exclude countries. For example, there is 24 spots in figure skating males category and there is 195 states in the world. So even if every country had just one spot, that leaves majority countries without. So the argument about everyone being able to participate is a bullshit.

ETA: In fact, only 20 countries had a lady competing in ladies event and 21 countries in men. So that’s one tenth of the countries had a skater in ladies and/or men’s event.
It's not feasible to have every country competing in every sport, but certain sports, like swimming, athletics, & cross-country skiing, have guaranteed entries for every IOC member that wants to use them.

Vagabond

In the complete beginnings of the Olympics, was it really about promoting various countries, or were the sporting achievements more important?
I never suggested that the Olympics were organized to promote countries. They were to bring people together from different countries, something that would, of course, be less feasible if only powerhouse federations got to send representatives. In fact, some early events had teams with athletes representing different countries.

hanca

Values her privacy
I never suggested that the Olympics were organized to promote countries. They were to bring people together from different countries, something that would, of course, be less feasible if only powerhouse federations got to send representatives. In fact, some early events had teams with athletes representing different countries.
I doubt that in the ancient Greece it was about ‘bringing people together’. What about the first ‘modern’ olympic games in 1896, was it more about the sport or about ‘bringing people together’?

hanca

Values her privacy
It's not feasible to have every country competing in every sport, but certain sports, like swimming, athletics, & cross-country skiing, have guaranteed entries for every IOC member that wants to use them.
I understand that, but then there is not much difference if 20 countries out of 195 have a female skater in ladies event, or if only 5 or ten countries have a lady in the event. In both situations there is majority of countries who don’t have a female skater in the ladies event, but those countries can excell in different sports and have 20 of their own sportsmen/sportswomen in any discipline where the other countries will be weaker.

Japanfan

I understand that, but then there is not much difference if 20 countries out of 195 have a female skater in ladies event, or if only 5 or ten countries have a lady in the event. In both situations there is majority of countries who don’t have a female skater in the ladies event, but those countries can excell in different sports and have 20 of their own sportsmen/sportswomen in any discipline where the other countries will be weaker.
I prefer to see more rather than less skaters and am happy with the limit of three per country.

This.

Also, it doesn't matter what the intentions of early Olympics were, the games have evolved.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I like the idea of each NGB having 3 slots but the skaters that are sent must meet certain reasonable but slightly strict TES minimum. So a very small fed may not have 3 Ladies skaters that meet the standard and so can only send 1 but if they do have 2 or 3, they don't have to worry about whatever skater they sent to Worlds last year has done.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I like the idea of each NGB having 3 slots but the skaters that are sent must meet certain reasonable but slightly strict TES minimum. So a very small fed may not have 3 Ladies skaters that meet the standard and so can only send 1 but if they do have 2 or 3, they don't have to worry about whatever skater they sent to Worlds last year has done.
That's what happened at 4C's once they instituted the not-very-stringent Euros/4C's minimums that have been used for the Olympics since. Suddenly, it was irrelevant for any given competition for any country not in the "big four" (China, Japan, US, Canada) to have three spots, because they didn't have the skaters with the minimums. (Years back I posted an analysis here looking at the 4C's results of the "big four," and found that, in only a handful of cases would they have lost a spot, which the top two competitors the following year would have gained back, but that was partly because Japan wasn't using all three in Pairs and Dance.)

That would make big fields for the singles SP, based on Worlds minimums, adding one-three flights. Also more Dance teams, given that they start with 25 for the SD, not 30. Still not as many more athletes in the village if they added synchro and limited the field to six or eight. They could still use the current free cut-off numbers.

But they won't even pony up for a maximum of twelve extra physical medals in the Team Event by allowing substitutions for all disciplines...

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
In order to send figure skaters to the Olympics, a country needs to have a national federation that is an ISU member. At present there are 93 members with some countries having separate members for figure and speed.

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
And many of those members don't have skaters who can meet the quite-low Euros/4C's minimums, which, at least for the shorts, have been set to not much higher than doing the simplest (per the element values) option for each required element at 0 GOE.

hanca

Values her privacy
In order to send figure skaters to the Olympics, a country needs to have a national federation that is an ISU member. At present there are 93 members with some countries having separate members for figure and speed.
Thank you for your clarification. Nevertheless, my point still stands. Even if there is only 93 members who could potentially send a lady to attend figure skating ladies event, less than a quarter of countries were able to have their lady in the event. So the excuse that it is for all countries being able to participate is just not true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information