Royalty thread #15: A New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnipeg

Is that what she had or is this just a guess?

Either way, I agree if this was the case, it would be hard to have a public life and I agree, it would be very emotionally and physically stressful/hard.

I hope what she had was less serious than that............

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Is that what she had or is this just a guess?

Either way, I agree if this was the case, it would be hard to have a public life and I agree, it would be very emotionally and physically stressful/hard.

I hope what she had was less serious than that............
I’m just surmising by the length of time involved and her not appearing in public.

Five years ago my family had to work hard to convince me to go anywhere. In addition to feeling very abnormal, a side effect is often very low blood pressure and feeling faint. I couldn’t make it to our car in the downstairs garage without resting in the lobby.

Lynn226

I’m just surmising by the length of time involved and her not appearing in public.

Five years ago my family had to work hard to convince me to go anywhere. In addition to feeling very abnormal, a side effect is often very low blood pressure and feeling faint. I couldn’t make it to our car in the downstairs garage without resting in the lobby.
I'm glad you recovered.

My father had a temporary colostomy after his bowel was nicked during prostate removal surgery. He was supposed to have it for about six months, but had it reversed after eighteen months. I don't remember exactly why it took longer to heal.

I understand not appearing in public, but not even putting out a statement in her own name is a bit ridiculous. I recently learned about something called the Streisand effect. I think that's what we have here.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I understand not appearing in public, but not even putting out a statement in her own name is a bit ridiculous. I recently learned about something called the Streisand effect. I think that's what we have here.

Not sure I agree. Much has been made of the recent openness of the Royal Family in sharing medical issues - something that just wasn't done in the past at all. Instead of wondering why she hasn't been seen in months, we know - she had a medical procedure, is doing well and is expected to return to public engagements after Easter. Do we really need to know more than that?

I also think it's appropriate for the Palace or whoever to put out the statement rather than she herself. She is a working member of the Royal Family, so her absence from work has been announced. She's not about to start her own Instagram account and share selfies and other personal updates, and far as I know she does not employ a personal publicist; there's no need.

Lynn226

Not sure I agree. Much has been made of the recent openness of the Royal Family in sharing medical issues - something that just wasn't done in the past at all. Instead of wondering why she hasn't been seen in months, we know - she had a medical procedure, is doing well and is expected to return to public engagements after Easter. Do we really need to know more than that?

I also think it's appropriate for the Palace or whoever to put out the statement rather than she herself. She is a working member of the Royal Family, so her absence from work has been announced. She's not about to start her own Instagram account and share selfies and other personal updates, and far as I know she does not employ a personal publicist; there's no need.
I agree she has a right to privacy. Charles is being so open, so she is being unfavorably compared to him in terms of transparency, perhaps unfairly. Given the conspiracy theories running amok, a change in tactics as she improves could be considered.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
It gives me the ick to see all the Twitter jokes and conspiracy theories. If she came right out and said what was wrong, everyone would be praising her bravery to the skies. But because she doesn't, everyone thinks it's a big game. But not talking about it doesn't make her any less brave. It just means she doesn't feel like talking about it.

puglover

Charles is the King, the Monarch, the Head of State. Princess Catherine is married to the heir to the throne, a busy young mother who spends some of her time in volunteer work. Not the same thing and I think she has a greater right to privacy. Also, her children are young and there may be reasons that they have chosen to keep some of the details private.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I agree it's a personal choice. I often see women in particular sharing their cancer journey on social media - ongoing health updates, pictures of themselves receiving treatment, jaunty images of them in colourful scarves, uplifting posts about how they are coping - and good for them if it helps them and I think sometimes they think it helps others too. If it is was me though, no way. I'm not even sure I'd share a serious illness with my family and friends, but that's me.

For Kate, obviously she has a bit less choice than most, in that her absence from the public eye would be noticed, so of course they have to say something, and say enough that the time off makes sense. They did that, so now we wait to see if she chooses to share more, or not, and I wish her well.

Lynn226

The cause of death of Thomas Kingston, husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor, has been investigated. Tragically, it appears he committed suicide.

Trigger warning: This article contains the details of the inquest.

He was interesting man. He served as a hostage negotiator in Iraq before beginning a career in the financial sector.

skatfan

The cause of death of Thomas Kingston, husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor, has been investigated. Tragically, it appears he committed suicide.

Trigger warning: This article contains the details of the inquest.

He was interesting man. He served as a hostage negotiator in Iraq before beginning a career in the financial sector.

How very sad. It doesn’t seem there were external issues, I wonder if he had depression.

Lynn226

How very sad. It doesn’t seem there were external issues, I wonder if he had depression.
He wasn't in the military, but the article said he experienced a lot of the war in Iraq in his diplomatic position. Perhaps it affected him in some way.

MLIS

I’ve also read, though, that’s she’s going away (somewhere warm) and always takes a week like that this time of year. So if that’s the case, it would imply he’s doing well, if she feels comfortable being out of the country for a week. Hard to know.

Meanwhile, the king of Norway, who has been on vacation in Malaysia, has taken ill and been hospitalized. I read he returned to Norway this morning via medical transport, but they had to give him a temporary pacemaker to stabilize him for travel. That sounds pretty serious, good thoughts to them. He’s been ill off and on for a few years, and now uses crutches to walk. I’ve been expecting him to be the next European monarch to announce an abdication for awhile now.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Not hard to surmise that maybe the situation with Charles is getting rather grave.
And yet the news here in Australia this morning was that Charles and Camilla may pay a royal visit later this year, which sounds rather more optimistic.

Cachoo

This thread doesn’t usually interest me but what the devil is going on over there?

Lynn226

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
Has anyone watched the short lived animated tv series The Prince by Gary Janetti?

Catherine from that show is so funny. I always think shes up to dumping William.

MLIS

What a shame she was harassed into going out before she wanted to.
Agreed. I mean, I don’t think it’s a coincidence she was suddenly seen driving around Windsor after all the insanity on social media of the last few days. Of course, the conspiracy theorists just claim it’s a double (or Pippa!), but maybe some people are reassured? I hope she is doing ok and recovering well, and able to ignore the craziness for the most part.

canbelto

The Kate-double rumors were less wild than the Damar-Hamlin-died-and-it's-a-zombie stuff going around, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information