Richard Gauthier accused of sexual harassment (1981-85)

Desperado

Just saw the La Presse article.

Three charges are being made. One of gross indecency between April 1981 and 1985, one of sexual harassment between January 5, 1983 and April 7 avril 1985 and one of indecent assault. The accuser is male and only identified as P.D. The article also mentioned that he would’ve been between the ages of 11 and 19 and an athlete being coached by Gauthier. At the time, Gauthier was 10 years older than him.

In 1985 Gauthier would’ve been 23 so...very, very yuck if true.

Colonel Green

I don’t recall hearing any prior rumours of impropriety regarding Gauthier, though I cannot claim to have paid particularly close attention. You never know, in the end, what a person might be capable of behind the scenes.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
What? THE famous pair coach of so many great Canadian teams?

Shocking but these are accusations from decades ago...not that it makes them less horrible, if true.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
What is there that can be done? Can he be charged for anything?

Natanielle825

I cannot and do not want to believe this. Simply cannot.
I don't know if you're being serious but that would be very harmful attitude. I don't know anything about this guy but looking like a nice person on tv has never ever stopped someone from being a bad person. It's hard to grow up and watch your heroes fall but living in denial is worse. I've linked an article that a college professor gave me that puts false rape accusations at 0.5%. That is nothing, and people refusing to believe victims is what creates more victim. I'd encourage you to read it if you're having a hard time believing.
The culture is real and it is an undeniably difficult time to be a fan of figure skating.

Desperado

What is there that can be done? Can he be charged for anything?
As I mentioned above, he has been charged with 3 crimes.

I don’t understand why CBC or another English paper is not taking up the story.

Radio-Canada is saying there is an arrest warrant out for him but looking for other victims could delay the arrest.

Vagabond

I've linked an article that a college professor gave me that puts false rape accusations at 0.5%. That is nothing, and people refusing to believe victims is what creates more victim. I'd encourage you to read it if you're having a hard time believing.
The culture is real and it is an undeniably difficult time to be a fan of figure skating.
You have linked to an article that is entirely about incidents in which the victims are adult women. The victim here was a boy who was only eleven when the grooming process started.

If anything, male victims are less likely than female victims to report such incidents, especially if the events happen when the victims are children or adolescents. Society conditions boys to believe that they must be tough and tolerate the intolerable. So I suspect that the percentage of false accusations where the alleged victim was a boy is even lower than 0.5%.

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

The only notable senior team he has now is Wang/Boudreau-Audet, I believe. His camp has been almost systematically depopulated since 2017.
Not true, but when Marcotte moved to Oakville with Duhamel. It was quite crowded in 2018 with all the Local and the foreign teams.

ChiquitaBanana

2017 is when Duhamel and Radford (and Marcotte) left, which was the starting date I used. Obviously it started to snowball the year after.
I am puzzled as Marcotte was coaching the North Koreans from Montreal and Gauthier the Aussies at the 2018 Olympic Games ??

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Radio-Canada is saying there is an arrest warrant out for him but looking for other victims could delay the arrest.
If he's a pedophile, someone who is attracted to a specific age group, there will be more because he'll always be working with skaters in that age group.

This is kind of a shock because he's been a public figure for so long without even a whisper.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Maybe this explains the move to Oakville...

The only way he could have escaped these kinds of charges would be to move to a country that doesn't have an extradition agreement with Canada. Moving from Quebec to Ontario wouldn't protect him.

ChiquitaBanana

I wonder if P.D was Pelletier David. hmm.. does that timeline seem right? David would of been 10-11 years old around 1985
I always wondered why Sale and Pelletier left him

One should never spread that kind of gossips if you don’t know
anything about it.
Pelletier moved to Rimouski at 13 yo and then moved to Boucherville and was coached by Josée Picard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information