Religious movie suggestions

jadingirl

Hi all,

My daughter is taking world religion in high school this quadmester. She has an assignment to watch a movie with a religious theme and write a report and was having trouble picking a movie. She is not much of a movie watcher except for Musicals as she is a theatre student.

A movie example that another student is doing is The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

I suggested an old movie called LIttle Buddha which I loved but it is not available on Netflix or Amazon in Canada :( and to purchase the DVD is a ridiculous price.

Does anyone have any interesting suggestions that are easy to find on streaming or purchase? I also suggested Schindlers List since the Boy in striped pajamas qualifies and The Crucible but again not on Netflix etc.

Thanks in advance

Lisa

MsZem

I see the sea
Does anyone have any interesting suggestions that are easy to find on streaming or purchase? I also suggested Schindlers List since the Boy in striped pajamas qualifies and The Crucible but again not on Netflix etc.
Neither of those films has a religious theme. Did they get some kind of list? Is the teacher aware that films about the Holocaust are about historical events and not religion (for the most part)?

The intersection between Judaism and musicals is, of course, Fiddler on the Roof.

attyfan

What about: "Jesus Christ, Superstar"; "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" and/or "Godspell"?

If she likes spectacles, there is always "The Ten Commandments". If she wants to be really original, she could do the silent version of it (or of "Ben Hur") instead of the Charlton Heston versions

jadingirl

Yes I had an issue with the other student's choice but I'm not the teacher!

We know alot of Christian themed movies or movies about Christian religion. They watched Jesus Christ Superstar in class so I don't think she could do it. The Sound of Music is an interesting idea.

I think she was looking for something about the Buddhist or Hindu religion. They are also learning about Wicca and I think Paganism(sp?).

Thanks again

jadingirl

I don't think I have seen all of Ben Hur. I know I have seen bits of it.

I wish the teacher had provided a list of examples.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Thor. :D

if you want some paganism, Wonder Woman. Hollywood doesn’t do paganism seriously.

Vagabond

Beckett
Breaking the Waves
Jesus of Montreal
Luther
A Man for All Seasons
The Nun's Story
The Passion of Joan of Arc (which is one of the best movies ever)

I have no idea whether these are on Netflix. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Cachoo

For Halloween: (maybe not a serious list....)
The Exorcist
Practical Magic (I don't know if Nicole and Sandra were Wiccan but they were witches! :p )
The Conjuring (the couple this film was based on spoke at my university---very interesting stuff---don't know if I believed it)

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
For Halloween: (maybe not a serious list....)
The Exorcist
Practical Magic (I don't know if Nicole and Sandra were Wiccan but they were witches! :p )
The Conjuring (the couple this film was based on spoke at my university---very interesting stuff---don't know if I believed it)

I hesitate to suggest "The Craft", but it did come to my mind along with "Practical Magic" as supposed Hollywoodized versions of Wicca.

"Haxan" from the 1920s is an interesting contract to "The Passion of Joan of Arc".

Cachoo

I really enjoyed this one but I don't know if it is on Netflix:

Noëlle

Noëlle is a 2007 drama film written, produced, and directed by David Wall who also stars as Father Jonathan Keene, a Catholic priest who comes to a small American fishing village in the Christmas season to shut down a dying parish, only to experience a personal transformation as he encounters the eccentric townspeople.

MsZem

I see the sea
Technically she could watch a Hallmark Christmas movie, or even Home Alone.

In fact if I were the teacher and someone did the assignment about Home Alone, I'd find it hilarious.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved

In fact if I were the teacher and someone did the assignment about Home Alone, I'd find it hilarious.

American secular holiday customs contrasted with religion. The assignment writes itself. :COP:

Cachoo

I suppose there are also religious based romantic mysteries: "Witness" with Harrison Ford, "A Stranger Among Us" with Melanie Griffith or a drama like "The Stand" about the choice between good and evil.

Cachoo

Or a wonderful little musical like "Nativity":

Lorac

Would 7 Years in Tibet count?

It's a pity you can't watch 'Little Buddha' as that is an excellent movie.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information