Recommendations for books on figure skating

starrynight

The Second Mark is such a good book. It didn't get nearly enough attention.

The best thing about The Second Mark is that anyone could read it even if you are not interested in figure skating and enjoy it. A bit like Mao's Last Dancer. I knew nothing about ballet when I read that book but it didn't matter because the story stood alone as something anyone would find interesting. The discussions of training life in Russia, China and Canada were very interesting in the Second Mark. I also enjoyed the way the author described the programs skated and the mechanics of pairs. The descriptions of pairs skating are enough to make anyone want to watch and you could imagine the programs without having ever seen them before, because she described them so well.

I'm almost finished Meagan and Eric's book and it's one a lot more directed at close fans of the sport. It jumps right in with the technical discussion, a lot of first names and skating terms used. If you didn't follow skating and hadn't seen the programs, you might have difficulty following some sections.

honey

They were two of my favorite skating books, especially the first one.

I recently re-read her two books from the 90s, and while indeeibly biased in parts, still worth the read IMO. I love the backstage stuff and some of the focus on the younger up and comers is quite interesting to read now as we know how things turned out. So @starrynight i think the books are worthwhile. But if you were more a Tara than a Michelle fan, might not be for you ;)

starrynight

I recently re-read her two books from the 90s, and while indeeibly biased in parts, still worth the read IMO. I love the backstage stuff and some of the focus on the younger up and comers is quite interesting to read now as we know how things turned out. So @starrynight i think the books are worthwhile. But if you were more a Tara than a Michelle fan, might not be for you ;)

I'm a more recent fan of the sport, so I'm interested in the kind of books that work well as 'stand alone' stories that are interesting even if you don't already have a strong attachment to the skater.

I don't have particularly strong views either way on Tara or Michelle (yet) so maybe I will give them a go.

I found that reading The Second Mark made me a big Shen/Zhao fan.

pixie cut

Are Christine Brennan's books worth reading?

If you're a skating fan, it's no harm to read them. You could probably pick up used copies for cheap or even get them at the library. They're entertaining. They're not earth shaking and some of the stories have subsequently been told many times, but they're enjoyable period pieces. You won't feel you wasted your time reading them.

paskatefan

Oh, how could I forget Push Dick's Button? I love this book to pieces, and have read it @ least twice. Time to reread it! :cheer2::encore::rofl: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information