Recommendation for beginner sewing machine

once_upon

Spy
Anyone have recommendations for a beginner sewing machine for an 11.5 year old? My granddaughter wants one for Christmas. I dont want a super complicated one, but also want one that she can grow with for a few years.

I dont want to spend more than $140, but if one is a little more but better, I would consider it.

I

Tesla

Whippet Good
I have had a Brother CS7000X for 3 years, and I think would be a great machine for a beginner. You can control the speed, and it has a button you can use to sew instead of a foot pedal, though it does come with a foot pedal. I know this is above your price range, so this Brother CS5055 might be a good option. It doesn't have the speed control or the sewing button but might be a good one to get her started.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Anyone have recommendations for a beginner sewing machine for an 11.5 year old? My granddaughter wants one for Christmas. I dont want a super complicated one, but also want one that she can grow with for a few years.

I dont want to spend more than $140, but if one is a little more but better, I would consider it.

I
Are you in the US or Canada and what currency is the 140 in?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Are you in the US or Canada and what currency is the 140 in?
I bought a small sewing machine on Amazon about six months ago. It is good for beginners. I wanted something simple for doing easy things like hemming and minor repairs. I like the small size and it is easy to set up. It has a foot pedal which is convenient.
I am away, so I can't give you any specifics - brand, features, etc.

It does offer different stitches. The price was below $100. If you search for Small sewing machines on Amazon, you will find a variety of them. Good luck.

once_upon

Spy
I looked on JoAnn's site and they have this one for a nice sale price and it appears, I might also be able to be qualified for a 25% off coupon.

@Tesla since you mentioned Brothers any comments?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
As a sewer myself, I love hearing about kids who want to get into sewing. I think it is wonderful that you are wanting to buy her a machine.

You might be able to get a secondhand one on something like Facebook Market place.

On the other hand, probably one of the cheaper Brother machines might be okay.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I looked on JoAnn's site and they have this one for a nice sale price and it appears, I might also be able to be qualified for a 25% off coupon.

@Tesla since you mentioned Brothers any comments?
This looks like a good starter machine. And it's a good price. My Brother has been a little workhorse for 3 years, so I think a Brother is a good start.

once_upon

Spy
One grandchild done - sewing machine, good sewing scissors, hedgehog pin cushion, material for 2 projects and sloth earrings.

Second one close to being done - baking kit (cupcake pan, cake pans, loaf pans, kitchen utensils, pizza stone), unicorn cupcake decorating kit, books, nailart coming today.

Third one easy - shopping trip with grandma, money to be put into her green light account.

Three more to go - in various stages.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information