Quick 3 day Worlds Poll

If you have tickets to Worlds what do you plan to do?

  • If Worlds is open, I'm going

    Votes: 38 53.5%
  • If Worlds is open, I'm not going

    Votes: 2 2.8%
  • If Worlds is open, I plan on getting tickets last minute

    Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I'm uncertain and hope the ISU makes the decision for me

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I'm uncertain and unhappy at the uncertainty

    Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I don't have tickets but I know what I'd do

    Votes: 17 23.9%
  • If Worlds is open I'm going but I'm unhappy about the decision

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other

    Votes: 5 7.0%

  • Total voters
    71
  • Poll closed .

skatingguy

Well-Known Member
Messages
11,918
The risk is still pretty low in Canada. There is community transmission but in BC which is still very far from Montreal. I'll be very disappointed if they do decide to cancel it, but I'll come to understand it eventually.
 

Debrah

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,126
Here is a FACT BASED website updated every 10 min that may help inform your decision: https://ncov2019.live/data

At the time of my post, the province of Quebec has only 4 confirmed cases, 63 in all of Canada. So IMO it is more likely that those fans Flying into Montreal esp., those from current viral hot spots, or by simply mingling with other travelers at international airports and breathing circulated air in the plane will BRING the threat with them, not that fans will catch it from Montrealer's... I wish the ISU could delay the event, or refund or perhaps simply roll over tickets purchased from outside of Quebec such as from China, Japan, S.Korea, Italy, etc, to apply to next year's worlds, and those affected seats could be given away to kids from skating clubs, or those interested in the event from high schools/CEGEPs/universities around Montreal, or perhaps donated as prizes from local radio/tv call-in shows to fill the seats and create some atmosphere. Hey, canceling is probably the safest option for Canada, while postponing, or going ahead is best for athletes, OR go ahead with some form of a plan B. Go ahead with no audience but refund or rollover as desired by those affected ticket holder's, or go ahead with only Quebec ticket holder's and fill seats with locals within driving distance to Montreal as outlined above but broadcast the ENTIRE event around the world for FREE; Hey a gal can dream for a silver lining...
 

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Messages
53,251
I had not planned on going, nor will I make a last minute decision to go, for reasons other than the virus. I have commitments here till the end of March, so I can’t go. So I voted ‘Other’
 

Barbara Manatee

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,872
That isn't a useful data point, though. We don't know yet if holding Junior Worlds has resulted in any infections. And in the few weeks between Juniors and Worlds, the virus will have time to spread significantly.

If I had tickets, was young and healthy and able to avoid close contact with vulnerable people for a few weeks afterwards, I'd go.
 

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Messages
1,689
I'm not going to Worlds because when tickets first went on sale, I thought they were outrageously expensive. But if I had bought tickets, I would absolutely go. You just can't live your life being afraid. Try and remember to wash your hands often, not touch your face, and live and enjoy your life. :)
 

sap5

Well-Known Member
Messages
10,223
I wouldn't go. The chances of someone having it is very high, considering you have people flying in from all over the world. I wouldn't want to catch it and then give it to someone else unknowingly.
 

Jeanne7

Well-Known Member
Messages
242
I would definitely go if I could, and I absolutely disagree that the event should be cancelled. The media have whipped people up into a frenzy of panic. We have a higher likelihood of contracting/dying of the 'flu than Corona. However, if I had health issues or a compromised immune system, I would probably avoid a crowded event. Apart from frequent hand washing with soap and water & getting a flue shot, stop watching MSM!:mad:
 

Spun Silver

Well-Known Member
Messages
12,126
It's very late, but I think they should cancel, or at least cancel having spectators there in person. There are too many health experts saying the only way to prevent an explosive spread of the virus is for people to lay low ie stay home. The timing of Worlds is unfortunately just when the number of cases in North America is starting to explode, e.g. US cases just jumped from 500 to 1000 in the past 2-3 days. If we follow the pattern of China or Italy, it will get way worse before it gets better. This is a time to prioritize health - not just our own but the lives of everyone in our communities.

If the skaters are few enough to be kept safe, it would be great to have the actual competition go ahead and be live-streamed, but if there's any doubt, keep the skaters safe.
 

Barbara Manatee

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,872
The media have whipped people up into a frenzy of panic. We have a higher likelihood of contracting/dying of the 'flu than Corona.... stop watching MSM!:mad:
Valentina Marchei would like a word -
ITS BAD. FOR REAL: To all the friends abroad that are asking how bad is the situation.

CASES POSITIVE TO CORONAVIRUS keep RAISING DAILY and although our health care system is free and one of the best in the World, there are not enough beds and resources to face the emergency so we risk to get to the point where the Hospitals will have to choose who to help, cause they will not be able to keep up with the number of cases.

And that will be a DISASTER. The life of each one of us is equally important.

NOBODY IS IMMUNE! WE ARE NOT SUPERHEROES! We can be vehicle of the virus too.
The seriousness of the outbreak isnt a creation of the media, and this what happens when people don't pay attention.

I posted a few days ago that I would go, but now I would not.
 

Debrah

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,126
Well, at the moment I am strongly leaning towards not attending as I have a husband with a compromised immune system due to his ongoing battle with Leukemia plus my own health issues of Diabetes and long history of repeated bouts of pneumonia/bronchitis. Colds and flu always hit my lungs. I am 65. My friend who is my room and seatmate for the event is also a lady in her 70's, also diabetic and uses a cane as I also sometimes need to do. Standing in lines for hours at our age, waiting for health cheques to get into the rink is also a concern. She is the mom of the Cdn judge and official who passed away from suicide last year and we were attending this event in his memory as he worked hard to bring the event to Montreal, and also to support team Canada being long-time fans of skating and personally knowing many of the athletes and other coaches, officials ourselves. I have been looking forward to this event since it was announced Montreal won the bid to host it. I am a complete wreck because of stress because either way, I could hurt either my self or family by going and perhaps bringing the virus home because of people flying into Montreal from all over the world who could be symptom-free now, but be unknowing carriers from just getting on a plane to come to Montreal, although I thought of isolating myself from husband for 14 days to ensure I don't infect him should I get sick myself... Or, I could disappoint/hurt my friend(s) if I choose not to attend. My decision would be problematic either way. Best case scenario is they postpone or go ahead with a plan B -- perhaps without an audience or just a limited local audience who did not have to fly in, not that that would be doable in reality... But I want a decision made today so if I do cancel I can at least cancel my hotel room...I am willing to take the financial hit for my all event ticket, but I could at least recoup some hotel expenses esp if I give my ticket to her husband and he could attend in my place and they could decide if they want the hotel room or not or just drive into Mtl every day from their home... The uncertainty is killing me...My friend and I need to talk ASAP with some information first from ISU and Government to be able to make an informed decision... Thoughts anyone?
 

Spun Silver

Well-Known Member
Messages
12,126
My thoughts are that they must decide today or tomorrow as fans need to know. I doubt a hotel will charge you in this case. And if the event is canceled your tickets will be refunded. Hang in there.

Also the risk of bringing the virus to your husband and community is far more important than disappointing your friend (who will surely understand).

That said, I can imagine the crushing disappointment to miss a home (or any) Worlds. :(
 

Debrah

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,126
We called hotel and they told us we have till Friday 13, (nothing ominous about that date snark, snark) to cancel without penalty so we are hoping a decision will be made today, or tomorrow at the latest!!! I also spoke to my event partner who is just as stressed and upset as I am, but she understands if I decide to cancel to protect da hubby, she may decide to do the same, esp., as attending/celebrating this home MTL world event is something we had planned to do together, we both understood this might happen due to personal health/family concerns at our age...
 

Kateri

void beast
Messages
5,619
@Debrah I'm so sorry, that's an incredibly rough situation, and a horrible decision. If I were in your position, I think I wouldn't go. Too many people at high-risk. :(
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top
Do Not Sell My Personal Information