Practicing jump take offs before taking opening position...

Spartacus

Lord knows there are other more pressing matters within the sport. :lol: But this one really annoys me the most!

IMO they should disallow skaters from practicing the takeoff of their jumps before taking their opening position. None of the great skaters years ago like Midori, Boitano, Kwan, Lu Chen, Witt, Baiul etc practiced their jumps or jump take-offs after the announcer called them to take opening position.

You've trained for the competition for months, done practice sessions at the event, done warm up and had time to practice your jumps when the skater before you is getting their score. Once the announcer calls you to take your opening position for the music to begin, that is not the time to practice your take-offs. Satoko I'm talking to you (though many do it)!

And Alina, thank you so much for pushing your tights into your boots. Now if we can just get you to stop using your thighs as punching bags.

Oh how I miss the old days! Shall we start a petition? :drama:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Lord knows there are other more pressing matters within the sport. :lol: But this one really annoys me the most!

IMO they should disallow skaters from practicing the takeoff of their jumps before taking their opening position. None of the great skaters years ago like Midori, Boitano, Kwan, Lu Chen, Witt, Baiul etc practiced their jumps or jump take-offs after the announcer called them to take opening position.

You've trained for the competition for months, done practice sessions at the event, done warm up and had time to practice your jumps when the skater before you is getting their score. Once the announcer calls you to take your opening position for the music to begin, that is not the time to practice your take-offs. Satoko I'm talking to you (though many do it)!

And Alina, thank you so much for pushing your tights into your boots. Now if we can just get you to stop using your thighs as punching bags.

No. no. no. Let them do it. Otherwise most performances would look identical. I love some of the nutty rituals skaters display prior to their routines.

My favourite quirk was Kanako Murakami's CPR chest rub she used to do before every skate.

Holly Cook, whom I adore, had the most quirky hand tap set up for her triple toe. Loved that!

starrynight

I remember one Grand Prix Final where Yuzuru Hanyu was amping up by doing a triple axel before he was announced and then did a practice jump before hitting his start position.

It was all about getting the attention off Javier and onto him, I recall. It was pretty exciting to watch live.

gkelly

I've been watching elite events for almost 25 years, sometimes live especially in the beginning of that period. And many more local events.

During all those years I have always seen skaters practicing jump takeoffs, backspins, etc., and sometimes pounding their thighs, while on the ice waiting to be announced.

After being announced it's much less common. But not completely unknown.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

If they are not skating right after the warmup, they do need to warm up. Particularly the sixth or fifth skater has been sitting or just trying to warm up off the ice while a row of skaters is going through their 4 min programs, awaiting the marks, then smile or frown, and leave the K&C. In the mean time the final two skaters have been off the ice 45 -50 minutes. Ask any football player how he feels after sitting on a bench for a long time.

I am not trying to be bitchy. Just sympathetic to the athletes. Let them use whatever means they use to get ready for the big moment.

But may be you were just kidding?

Spartacus

No. no. no. Let them do it. Otherwise most performances would look identical. I love some of the nutty rituals skaters display prior to their routines.

My favourite quirk was Kanako Murakami's CPR chest rub she used to do before every skate.

Holly Cook, whom I adore, had the most quirky hand tap set up for her triple toe. Loved that!
I like these little skater "tics" myself. I find them interesting. :)
There is a lot more time before the skaters name is called. Thus compared to “ the good old days”, a lot more time has passed since the warm up. Let them warm up.
I've been watching elite events for almost 25 years, sometimes live especially in the beginning of that period. And many more local events.

During all those years I have always seen skaters practicing jump takeoffs, backspins, etc., and sometimes pounding their thighs, while on the ice waiting to be announced.

After being announced it's much less common. But not completely unknown.
I enjoy the superstitious rituals too. Whatever helps!
If they are not skating right after the warmup, they do need to warm up. Particularly the sixth or fifth skater has been sitting or just trying to warm up off the ice while a row of skaters is going through their 4 min programs, awaiting the marks, then smile or frown, and leave the K&C. In the mean time the final two skaters have been off the ice 45 -50 minutes. Ask any football player how he feels after sitting on a bench for a long time.

I am not trying to be bitchy. Just sympathetic to the athletes. Let them use whatever means they use to get ready for the big moment.

But may be you were just kidding?
I have no issue with these "quirky rituals" y'all are talking about. And like I said, I have no problem with skaters taking the time to warm up when the skater before them is getting their marks. Yes, when the skater before you is getting their marks, practice your jumps and warm up as much as you want. I take issue with skaters practicing their take-offs AFTER the announcer has called them to take opening position @gkelly

kittysk8ts

I have no issue with these "quirky rituals" y'all are talking about. And like I said, I have no problem with skaters taking the time to warm up when the skater before them is getting their marks. Yes, when the skater before you is getting their marks, practice your jumps and warm up as much as you want. I take issue with skaters practicing their take-offs AFTER the announcer has called them to take opening position @gkelly
You're allowed to take issue :)

gkelly

They only get 30 seconds now to get into position, so they don't have a lot of time for practice at that point.

In earlier eras they were allowed a full 2 minutes, so you would have seen more of it then, not less. But not on edited TV broadcasts.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
I read the first message 15 times and I do not under stand what the writer has said. May be I was distracted by the mentions of tight thighs, it would certainly not be the first time. I think that it is very important to get ready for an opening position, the hole key to a tight performance comes from having to "master" that skill, that is just my thought though.

If posters are saying that skaters should not use thighs to get ready for a "big moment" then I am sorry but I say Oh Yes they should even if it is not actually a grand "slam" of virtue.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I remember one Grand Prix Final where Yuzuru Hanyu was amping up by doing a triple axel before he was announced and then did a practice jump before hitting his start position.

It was all about getting the attention off Javier and onto him, I recall. It was pretty exciting to watch live.

I prefer a good ole fashioned Katarina Witt stare down!!!!

(So, I'm drama)

:D

Spartacus

I read the first message 15 times and I do not under stand what the writer has said. May be I was distracted by the mentions of tight thighs, it would certainly not be the first time. I think that it is very important to get ready for an opening position, the hole key to a tight performance comes from having to "master" that skill, that is just my thought though.

If posters are saying that skaters should not use thighs to get ready for a "big moment" then I am sorry but I say Oh Yes they should even if it is not actually a grand "slam" of virtue.
Same, boo. Same. :confused:

Spartacus

What’s wrong with practising take-offs after the name has been announced?
I think it's unattractive and only goes to show that the skaters of today are more focused on the technical aspects of the sport and not the artistry. It shows the last thing they think about before starting their program are the jumps.

D

Deleted member 40371

I think it's unattractive and only goes to show that the skaters of today are more focused on the technical aspects of the sport and not the artistry. It shows the last thing they think about before starting their program are the jumps.

It shows nothing of that sort, the program only begins when they start to move after the music has started. No skater or pair/ ice dancers should be judged by what they do before this. Next you will start judging athletes for their practice dress etc.

We don’t complain about what happens behind the scene in movie or film to judge the quality of movie or film. May be you can start watching the skaters only after Music starting playing hence you don’t see all pre skating routine.

Spartacus

It shows nothing of that sort, the program only begins when they start to move after the music has started. No skater or pair/ ice dancers should be judged by what they do before this. Next you will start judging athletes for their practice dress etc.

We don’t complain about what happens behind the scene in movie or film to judge the quality of movie or film. May be you can start watching the skaters only after Music starting playing hence you don’t see all pre skating routine.
IMO it does. And maybe you can check your attitude at the door.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

What the fcuk.

No, it shows they're focusing and ready. It doesn't mean jack about the artistry. Jason does it; are you going to say he's more focused on the technical aspects than artistry? You had to reach so damn far to make this conclusion I'm surprised you're not on the moon.

Fairuza

How come you know what’s going on in the skater’s mind when they do it? Pretending to be a mind-reader, are you now?
To hell with what you find unattractive, if something helps a skater concentrate on giving a clean and gorgeous skate, they’re welcome to have as many rituals as possible. What matters is what happens after the music is on.

hanca

Values her privacy
To me it shows lack of confidence. Like if you went to theatre and saw all the actors in the hall still memorising their lines. I would find it more impressive if someone shows confidence that they can do it and don’t need to get the feeling in the last few seconds before they start their program. But it is a competition, they obviously care a lot about their results and if it helps them, I don’t mind them doing it. Same way as someone has a need to cross themselves three times (I think Samodurova does that).

gkelly

Right, it's a competition. In a highly technical sport, that can't be properly warmed up "backstage" where there isn't any ice, with elements such as jumps that can very easily go very wrong with only the slightest margin of error in the technique. Reminding their body exactly what it needs to do to get the difficult jumps right is just what they should be doing before a competitive performance.

Now, if you saw this at a show where performing for the audience is more important than getting difficult technique right, that could be something worth complaining about.

Even so, though, the audience generally wants to see any jumps attempted landed successfully.

Spartacus

What the fcuk.

No, it shows they're focusing and ready. It doesn't mean jack about the artistry. Jason does it; are you going to say he's more focused on the technical aspects than artistry? You had to reach so damn far to make this conclusion I'm surprised you're not on the moon.
You're entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine. Unfortunately for you, your opinion is no more matter-of-fact than mine. 🖕🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information