Polyglide Ice?

livetoskate

Anyone have experience on these synthetic ice rink surfaces? The one time I skated on synthetic ice, it was terrible. It was like skating on wax and someone had to keep spraying the surface with water.
With this new product, you don't need to spray it. It's still a bit costly so I'm hesitant to buy without trying (about $800 for a decent small area, closer to 2k if you have room for a small rink).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It's still skating on plastic. I don't see how any plastic could be soft enough to feel like ice, especially if it doesn't have to be sprayed, but still be sturdy enough to be cut into squares and support the weight of a skater.

Synthetic ice also destroys the sharpening on blades really fast. So even if you could skate reasonably well on this polyskate, you'd probably have to get your blades sharpened every couple of times. I don't think there are too many skate-sharpening places that are open right now.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Karen Chen recently posted a video of herself falling on it. :lol: On some kind of synthetic ice, anyway. I don't think she specified which kind.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I understand from my coach that there are significant differences in how the synthetic ice feels, between the less expensive stuff and the stuff that costs a lot. He said that, with the most expensive stuff, if it's installed correctly, he can barely feel the difference, but with the cheap stuff, he really can and dislikes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information