Synthetic Ice

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I found a post from a couple of years about synthetic ice.

Just wondering what the latest products are and if they are any better than what they were. Do they still blunt the crap out of blades? How many times would you be able to skate before having to get your blades sharpened?

We are about to lose our ice rink so some of the people in our association are looking at it as an option. Personally I am not keen on it as a permanent solution.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I know someone who installed it in their basement when all the rinks here closed during Covid. From what I remember, there are different grades or types of the synthetic ice, some requiring you to put some sort of coating on it, others not. All of them require frequent sharpening of skates.

I'm also not keen on it as a permanent solution, but if it's your only option, it seems like it's better than nothing.

What other options are the association looking at?

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
What other options are the association looking at?
I'm only following the situation from afar (it's happening in the state where my parents live) so Aussie Willy would know better, but I don't believe there are a lot of options right now, other than lobbying for funding for a new rink or hoping there's a rich benefactor out there somewhere who might provide money (and a location).

I can't find a link to any story about the actual sale of the rink (which has happened in the last couple of weeks) that isn't behind a paywall, but earlier articles are here if anyone is interested: https://www.icesportstasmania.com.au/news

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I'm only following the situation from afar (it's happening in the state where my parents live) so Aussie Willy would know better, but I don't believe there are a lot of options right now, other than lobbying for funding for a new rink or hoping there's a rich benefactor out there somewhere who might provide money (and a location).

I can't find a link to any story about the actual sale of the rink (which has happened in the last couple of weeks) that isn't behind a paywall, but earlier articles are here if anyone is interested: https://www.icesportstasmania.com.au/news
I am involved in Ice Sports Tasmania so directly involved in the campaign re a new rink. You are correct those are the strategies we are following. I have done a few interviews, including one over the last weekend on Hobart ABC Grandstand last Saturday. If you go to the website the interview should still be there and was the first item on the show.

It was on the market for almost 18 months. Apparently according to news reports (but there is no official word) it has been brought to turn into an art gallery.

Next stage is to continue lobbying politicians. We did have support but then the Premier resigned so everything went on hold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information