POLINA EDMUNDS

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Say,I read she retired. When did she?

From the Wikipedia article about her:

"On July 15, 2020, Edmunds stated in an interview that she left competitive skating and was looking forward to other opportunities in skating and her career. She mentioned that she was proud of her accomplishments and if it had not been for the C-19 pan demic, she would have been in a full training mode for the season."

FSWer

Oh...poor girl. It seems like the ****19 is effecting all our skaters. I hope she stays connected with skating. She's a very nice girl.

Sylvia

TBD
Polina seems very at peace with her decision :) - I posted about her retirement from competition here (after she was a guest in a podcast back in July): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/skater-retirements-2020.107153/#post-5836518
Copying out my post and her words:
Before the p*ndemic struck, Polina Edmunds was planning to train for the 2020-21 season following her graduation from Santa Clara University earlier this year. She was a guest last week on the "What Fulfills You?" Podcast (Polina is introduced starting at the 6 min. mark):
Also available via Apple Podcasts: https://twitter.com/PolinaEdmunds/status/1283879470823174145

[Starting around 43:00 re. her future plans, summarizing] Right now, Polina is interested in trying sportscasting, marketing, PR. She will continue skating and would like to do shows and maybe conduct seminars. If the p*ndemic had not happened, she says she likely would have been in full competitive training mode right now, and so it feels strange to her that she's leaving that part of herself behind. She's very happy and satisfied with what she was able to accomplish in her skating career and, knowing that, she feels very content to move forward with her life.
A direct quote from Polina:
"There are doors that are opening and I want to take them, and I don't want to keep waiting because of training anymore... and me coming to terms with the fact that I am satisfied, is a big relief as well... knowing that I can move forward and not feel guilty or sad about it, really... so I'm feeling good!" (she laughs)

Link to her Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/polinaedmunds/

Polina recently started her own podcast: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDfBuwhJFa-/
Pol Podcasts now?! Every Tuesday, I’m going to be talking all things #figureskating : athletics & academics, sport politics, & staying physically and mentally healthy during and post career! You can find it on Apple podcasts and Spotify, as well as the Bleav website:) Click the link in my bio to listen to me break the ice! ❄⛸💙 #teamusa #olympics #podcast
Her episodes can be listened to here:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Her first 3 podcast episodes:

Confidence Starts Young
August 25, 2020
This episode details all of the little things that built my confidence in my own skating as I grew up. Confidence in performance needs to start in youth. Because of the system and environment I skated in — the classes I took, coaching I had, and adrenaline practice — I was able to learn the confidence needed that would carry me through in the Senior International ranks!

Reaching for the Stars (and Stripes)
August 17, 2020
This episode is all things competing internationally for Team USA! Tackling how I got to the stage of representing the stars and stripes, detailing the junior international circuit, senior international circuit, and mental & physical state in performing at the highest stake competitions.

Skatings Ends, Education is Forever
August 11, 2020
Let’s talk balancing school and skating! First I talk my schedule growing up in public schooling, why I wasn’t homeschooled, how school can help with anxiety/nerves, and then some drama on USFS lack of support for my double life. Ends with some happy memories of my High School Olympic Sendoff & Stars On Ice Prom 🙂

Sylvia

TBD
Polina appeared on the "Cafecito con Masha" YT channel (based in Mexico) for a conversation on August 19, 2020::

Sylvia

TBD

The Iron Butterfly
August 31, 2020
This episode details my 2014 and 2015 seasons. Sharing stories of the hardships I had to face in order to be selected for teams and all that came with being USA #3. I cover not being selected for Junior Worlds, 2014 Nationals & Olympic selection, & sport politics with placement in my 2015 season in the Grand Prix circuit, 2015 Four Continents Championships, and 2015 Worlds. Ready?

Iron Butterfly Part 2
September 7, 2020
This episode is full of stories from my 2016 season, detailing hardships I faced and how I was able to get through them. I’m being very open and honest about my experiences, in hopes that people can understand the full scope of skating and expand their perspectives in the sport world. My mental strength and confidence in myself was what propelled me through my career, throughout the roller coaster that was my 2016 season!

Listen to your Body
September 14, 2020
This episode is all about injury! I discuss my own foot injury, the process of healing it while trying to stay competitive, taking time off, and the comeback process of getting everything back paired with relearning adrenaline management, as well as advice for how to deal with how to approach injury and recovery.

Chatting with Nam Nguyen
September 21, 2020
A conversation with two-time Canadian National champion Nam Nguyen: We discuss everything from skating again after the COVID-19 quarantines, skating in competitive environments, fans that are overly involved, and fun stories from skating internationally together — like Prom! Tune in.

Your Body is Your Weapon
September 28, 2020
This episode is about body changes and body image. I detail my own experiences with food growing up, then during and after puberty, and how it affected me both physically and mentally, in both negative and positive ways. I also give my thoughts and advice on body image for girls in sports: Our bodies are our ultimate weapon!

Polina's Instagram post today (9/29): https://www.instagram.com/p/CFvPC8xJeKx/
... discussing body changes and body image struggles in skating! Check it out on the Bleav Website, Spotify & Apple Podcasts! Link in Bio. 🧚🏻‍♀️ Let me know what you think, and who I should bring on to expand more on this topic!]/quote]

mjb52

September 21, 2020
A conversation with two-time Canadian National champion Nam Nguyen: We discuss everything from skating again after the *********-19 quarantines, skating in competitive environments, fans that are overly involved, and fun stories from skating internationally together — like Prom! Tune in.

... :scream::saint:

Sylvia

TBD
October 12, 2020:
Ashley Wagner and I discuss the Sochi Olympics – both qualifications and the games, and transition after sport. We talk about skating politics, finding meaning in life after sport, and the self confidence it takes to step out of the skating world and into “normal life”.

October 5, 2020:
This episode I discuss the importance of a positive rink environment: specifically because of its effects on young and growing girls. I discuss what makes a good environment, how parents and coaches behavior’s affect the skaters, and how the attitude around growth changes in adolescent skaters needs to be positive, rather than suppressive.
Polina's IG post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGBRbRHJ3qM/
“Ask yourself: what is my kid taking away from this rink environment?” NEW POD IS UP!💙 All about positive work environments and how young girls are affected. Seeing current top skaters in their early teens can create a mindset in upcoming skaters of thinking careers peak best before puberty. Let’s dial that back! Listen on Spotify & Apple Podcasts or the Bleav Website! Link in Bio. Lmk what you think🙌🏻 #podcast #growth #figureskater #figureskating #olympian #coaching #puberty #bodychanges

Sylvia

TBD
Article by Nick Zaccardi (Nov. 4, 2020):

Mentioned in the article is Polina's appearance in the Beyond The Rink podcast with Kevin Wu & Mitch Islam:
Podcast meets Podcast! Polina Edmunds joins us to talk all things skating as well as post career where her journey is taking her!
We cover:
  • Sochi Olympics
  • McDonalds in the Olympic Village
  • Having her mom as a coach
  • Her thoughts on the quad revolution
  • Life after skating
  • Best Bay Area eats & more!

Sylvia

TBD
Polina's post today (Nov. 17): https://www.instagram.com/p/CHtJc_tJ1xR/
NEW POD IS UP! In this episode, I give you the full scoop on my decision to retire from competition, as well as fun segments with fan questions! Excited for my new chapter:)🙈 Listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or the Bleav Website.
Link to listen:

Sylvia

TBD
Iron Butterfly Part 2
September 7, 2020
This episode is full of stories from my 2016 season, detailing hardships I faced and how I was able to get through them. I’m being very open and honest about my experiences, in hopes that people can understand the full scope of skating and expand their perspectives in the sport world. My mental strength and confidence in myself was what propelled me through my career, throughout the roller coaster that was my 2016 season!
Direct link to listen: https://art19.com/shows/bleav-in-figure-skating/episodes/62af264a-d822-42eb-aed1-dc1c6741e179

(CC: @SkateFanBerlin)

Polina's latest episodes (latest chat is with Gracie): https://bleav.com/podcast-show/bleav-in-figure-skating/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information