Pennsylvania recommendations? (central Penn)

clairecloutier

So in a few weeks, we will be doing a road trip from West Virginia up through central Pennsylvania and eventually home to Boston. We want to do a 1- or 2-day stopover along the way and are considering stopping in Hershey, PA, to do Hersheypark and other attractions there. However it's a little expensive, and certain to be very touristy/busy. Anyone have other suggestions for things to do/see in central and northern Pennyslvania? The region between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Thanks.

Ania

Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water.

This would be my choice # 1 for things to do between Philly and Pittsburgh. There are lots of hiking and other outdoor opportunities in the area (which is the Ohiopyle State park: https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/FindAPark/OhiopyleStatePark/Pages/default.aspx)

Bedford Springs resort and Nemacolin resort are both great places to combine nature and comfort/luxury.

Seven Springs resort is another option in the area with lots of outdoorsy fun: https://www.7springs.com/summer/adventures/

Not sure how it compares to Hersheypark $$$-wise, but you could come to Kennywood in Pittsburgh! I hate amusement parks and find Kennywood very tolerable (and even enjoyable). It's a historic park with lots of trees and a quaint feel: https://www.tripsavvy.com/kennywood-amusement-park-2707802

paskatefan

In Pittsburgh - The Cathedral of Learning, The Phipps Conservatory, Fallingwater, Kentuck Knob, another Frank Lloyd Wright home not too far from Fallingwater.

In Philadelphia - The National Constitution Center, Longwood Gardens, Winterthur (in Northern Delaware)

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Martin Guitar factory tour. A good one for rock lovers. Nearby is the Crayola crayon factory for kids.

I love Fallingwater. A trip to Hersheypark is not the same for me since they moved the amusement park site and make you ride through the fake chocolate world tour instead of see the actual factory. There are all the Amish attractions in Lancaster. There are lots of fun things to do in PA.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
@clairecloutier The Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and its burbs suggestions are coolšŸ˜Ž, but....

Definitely not Fallingwater.

As someone who has driven from West Virginia to my home in the Lehigh Valley more times than I can remember, you will sadly be nowhere near Fallingwater. Or State College. Or the Philadelphia suburban counties. Fallingwater is two hours out of your way. So is anything around Philadelphia.

(Unless I miss my guess or your trip is waaaay different than I would go, you will be coming up 80/81/78. Thatā€™s why I say no)

HersheyPark is actually pretty adorable, as pricey as it is. Everyone should go once. I recommend it.

And there is always my home, O little town of Bethlehem. If you seriously consider that, PM me. Too many suggestions to count;)

Safe travels:)

clairecloutier

@el henry Yes, as you guessed, our route takes us right through Hershey! So, after a couple days of thinking it over, we decided to go ahead and do Hersheypark, despite the $$. Our girls are 10 ... I know they will love all the rides there.

That said, I really appreciate all the suggestions in this threadā€”thanks, everyone. My husband has family in West Virginia, so weā€™ll be doing similar trips in the future, and hopefully later we can follow up on these suggestions and do some side trips to places like Fallingwater. Or Bethlehem. šŸ˜Š

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Again, Knoebelā€™s is great, (and so adorably old fashioned) but itā€™s a good one and a half hours out of the way.

Folks, coming from West Virginia (anywhere in WVa except the extreme northern panhandle, trust me, Iā€™ve been everywhere from Morgantown to Beckley and points in between) you are coming up I 80 or I 81, you are getting on I 78 near Harrisburg, and you are heading to Jersey).

York, Harrisburg, the Lehigh Valley.

Themā€™s the choices:D

manhn

Is Lancaster (Amish country) in central Pennsylvania? If so, I would recommend Lancaster. A small town closer to Philly called Media was cute too, in case you don't want to pay the extra money to stay within the city.

OlieRow

Again, Knoebelā€™s is great, (and so adorably old fashioned) but itā€™s a good one and a half hours out of the way.

Folks, coming from West Virginia (anywhere in WVa except the extreme northern panhandle, trust me, Iā€™ve been everywhere from Morgantown to Beckley and points in between) you are coming up I 80 or I 81, you are getting on I 78 near Harrisburg, and you are heading to Jersey).

York, Harrisburg, the Lehigh Valley.

Themā€™s the choices:D

You can take 99 up towards Altoona and State College before picking up 80. Take that to 81 to Scranton and then pick up 84 through Connecticut. Google Maps says its 22 minutes longer but depending on traffic around NYC, it's probably a wash.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
You can take 99 up towards Altoona and State College before picking up 80. Take that to 81 to Scranton and then pick up 84 through Connecticut. Google Maps says its 22 minutes longer but depending on traffic around NYC, it's probably a wash.

Iā€™m not trying to say any of these recommendations are bad news, far from it. Pennsylvania is full of wonderful sites and old timey amusement parks, including Knoebels.

Iā€™m just looking at it from the point of view of a Northeast PA resident whose work took me to West Virginia. A lot.

IME, except for Weirton, the fastest way in and out of the Mountain State is the Robert Byrd highways, East West/North South. Otherwise in WVa itself, I was on beautiful back roads that took two hours to go 50 miles.

The highway route eventually leads to 81 at the Pennsylvania Maryland border. (In fact if you are driving from anywhere north of Charleston, the best option is to drive through northern Maryland. Now that is a gorgeous drive, I was such a city kid I had no idea Maryland had mountains and that parts of Maryland looked like that.) you would think the PA Turnpike would be faster, but I learned it was not :(

But I was working and I wanted to get home. So I admit my route was skewed to save every second:)

And now Iā€™m remembering why I retired :D

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
My geography may be a little off, but if you are driving near Harperā€™s Ferry, stop for a few hours. Wonderful history and scenery. We are going for the day Thursday to get out of DC and avoid the Soviet-style July 4th.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I'd also recommend Lancaster; I went to school in York and a few of my good friends live in Lancaster now so I have been through a fair number of times now. The Kitchen Kettle Village and Amish Village are always fun, and I've heard good things about Escape Room Lancaster. Lititz is another cute little town that's nearby - some nice shops on the little downtown strip. Good wine, too haha. If you happen to be in York on a Saturday, the York Central Market is always worth checking out. Also, if you're in York, Holy Hound Taproom is one of the best bars there....ah, you're going to have kids with you. Just saw that. Nevermind maybe? :lol:

For a food recommendation, Roburritos has the best burritos I've had. Really have not found anything as good in CT lol. They have locations in both York and Lancaster. Another restaurant rec is Essan in York; pretty good Thai food, was always one of my favorite places during school.

I'm guessing you're taking rt 222?

Debbie S

Lancaster/Amish country are great places to visit with kids and not too far from Hershey - I remember visiting there when I was 10 or 11 and loved it. Try to do a horse and buggy ride, if you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information