Paul and Islam: "No Matter What"

Bournekraatzfan

Just saw Euro dance marks. C/L won with 102.23 forFD. 171 overall. Gives whole new perspective for P/I's chances if they skate as well as they did at Nats.

I actually think they should be contending for a medal but I don't think it will happen due to reputation. They were incredible at nationals and as much as I adore Kaitlyn and Andrew, I think Alex and Mitch should have finished second. Their edge control, posture, line, unison, the detail of their movement and those lifts! I think it was skatingfan04 who had mentioned a couple seasons ago that they are one of the best lifting teams in the world right now and I totally agree. Alex practically self-levitates and she is able to hold her positions without looking strained. I was practically jumping up and down at the conclusion of their free dance and all I could say was "wow". I think in order to make a bigger impact they have to push the performance right out to the top rows, and who better to help them with this than Anjelika who is, imo, unsurpassed in her ability to project emotion.

I love the group of P&I, W&P, and H&D at DSC. Three very talented teams who can push each other and learn from each other. I am so excited to see them all develop in the next few years (fingers crossed that they all stay in) :)

professordeb

I am so thrilled and pleased that Alex and Mitch are our 3rd couple going. Guess the "No Matter What" held them in good stead this season -- especially when they needed to be solid and qualify for Sochi.

I too am looking forward to seeing how W/P and P/I push each other over the next few years -- at least I am hoping that W/P stick around for a few years.

Marta24

I'm so happy that P/I finally could show all their talent in a competition. I think, if they develop the way they did in the last two years, they could be contenders for the OGM in 2018. My guess is, that the Olympic title in Pyeongchang will be between them and Ilinykh/Katsalapov. Right now,I don't see an US team that could be a contender for the OGM in 2018.

canbelto

Love this team, especially how they have such great basic skating skills. Deep, smooth edges, speed, ice coverage, control in the lifts, elegance. I also have to say that I saw clips of them in K&C and holy moly does Angelika Krylova ever age? She looks so beautiful still.

Bournekraatzfan

:eek: girlscouse62, you are very kind. I really enjoy reading your posts, too (and your thread titles!)

and thank you for the articles, Marta24, and the links, skatingfan04 and geoskate.

Love this team, especially how they have such great basic skating skills. Deep, smooth edges, speed, ice coverage, control in the lifts, elegance. I also have to say that I saw clips of them in K&C and holy moly does Angelika Krylova ever age? She looks so beautiful still.

Like a fine wine, she just gets better with age. She is absolutely stunning. I kept staring at her when the ice dancers were getting ready to take the ice in practice because she is just so beautiful and I was a huge fan of KO's skating (one of the greatest ice dance teams of all time, imo). I am thrilled that she is finding success as a coach, and I really enjoy seeing her interact with her own students and other skaters.

aka_gerbil posted videos of the medal ceremony in the V&M thread:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...o-Sochi-quot&p=4126205&viewfull=1#post4126205

I would like to upload my pics for you but I have no idea how to put pictures or videos on the internet. I have seen some people using flickr--is that easy to use (for someone so tech-unsavvy as me, who can barely figure out email)?

clarie

Funny...Mitch being into hockey. I expect him and Andrew and Scott will be attending a game if they get the chance. Nice to see them getting some mentoring from Tessa and Scott.

Paul & Islam have a great shot at the 2018 Olympic Gold. I wonder what will be their first year to win the Canadian title. I would guess 2017. I see Weaver & Poje being allowed a 2 year run at #1 before being overtaken by P&I in the pre Olympic season.

skatingfan04

Thanks Bournekraatzfan for the link to the medal ceremony! It was just delightful.:D So nice to see all three teams being genuinely happy for one another. Canada sure is sending an excellent set of ice dancers to Sochi!!

On a completely random note, does anyone know if the ISU has stated which compulsory dance rhythm will be used for the SD next season? I'm just curious!

Last edited:

professordeb

If you use this link

Seniors:
One to three Spanish Dance Rhythms.
The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Element and the Partial Step Sequence must be constant and in accordance with the required Tempo of the Pattern Dance Paso Doble, i.e. 56 measures of 2 beats or 112 beats per minute, plus or minus 2 beats per minute.
Spanish Dance Rhythms are described in the Additions to the ISU Ice Dance Music Rhythms Booklet 1995 (see ISU Website)

and just because it's on the same page

Junior
Samba or Samba plus one of the following Latin American Rhythms: Rhumba, Cha Cha, Mambo, Merengue.
The Pattern Dance Elements must be skated on the Samba Rhythm, in the style of the Samba. The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Elements must be constant and in accordance with the required Tempo of the Pattern Dance Silver Samba, i.e. 54 measures of 2 beats or 108 beats per minute, plus or minus 2 beats per minute.
Latin American Rhythms are described in the ISU Ice Dance Music Rhythms Booklet 1995, pages 13 to 20 (Note: Tango and Paso Doble, which are not included in the description, are not allowed).

Hope this helps.

skatingfan04

Thank you!

You know what's funny? I was just thinking that I wanted P/I to try a Paso Doble next season. I'm not kidding. I was thinking that they should try something with more of a Latin feel, and since they've done Tango before, I thought the Paso would be a great option to help them grow artistically. I'm really excited for this!

On an unrelated note, it looks like a store in Barrie has a huge banner that they're going to have signed by members of the community for Alexandra and Mitchell to bring with them to Sochi. I think it's a lovely idea, but I don't live close enough to Barrie to go myself. If anyone's in the Barrie area, consider checking it out...

http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/4329179-show-your-support-for-barrie-s-olympians/

lavenderblue

As artistic growth goes, my biggest desire for P/I is definitely a blues program. That style of dance would, in technical terms, really highlight their strengths and be a great showcase against other teams -- the close holds and skating as one, flow and edgework, connection, chemistry, even line to an extent -- but be something totally, totally different in mood and genre from anything else they've done, and they've shown themselves to be mature enough as performers at this point to do it justice. I'd go with a smoother, slinkier approach to contrast it with something like H/D's rawer "I Put a Spell on You" FD a couple of years ago, too, just given P/I's particular elegance and kind of old-fashioned vibe.

Pratfall

Paso Doble ought to be good for them, I would think ... maybe with a Flamenco Rhumba..? :cool:

But not to get ahead of myself, I'm just thrilled with the way the season has gone for them , so far, and am curious to know what the couple of little things are they hinted at working on before Olys.

ETA: lavenderblue .. as a long time blues lover, you excite my imagination. :swoon:

( I think they're capable of languid )

Last edited:

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
They look like visa or passport photos to me. Andrew and Tessa couldn't resist the urge to smile, or at least look pleasant. Some of the others look like they have a very sore foot.

Skittl1321

I hate the no smile rule. I was cute in all my drivers licenses until that. Now I look like a drug dealer.

skatingfan04

I hate the no smile rule. I was cute in all my drivers licenses until that. Now I look like a drug dealer.

Same :(

I'm guessing these were passport photos. No smiling, no eye glasses (I've seen some of the skaters wear them off ice), taken on a white background; all standard rules for a Canadian passport.

Unfortunate photos aside, Sochi is literally just around the corner. I'm getting so excited! :D I believe practices for the team event begin this coming week, so many of our skaters will likely be there in the next few days (though probably not P/I...I doubt they'd be involved in the team event). I'm counting the days until the opening ceremony! Does anyone have any special plans for watching the games? I know people who are having viewing parties and stuff, but I think I'm just going to bunk on my couch with my mom (my usual viewing companion when it comes to sports, and a fellow P/I fan:)) and enjoy the games from home. :watch:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Has this video of the free dance been posted yet? It was just posted two hours ago by someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgHpanAqkBc.

And the short dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNbo5ptrdZw

Hopefully they won't be removed.
Thank you for sharing those.

Am I the only one who's not really in love with the new costumes? I suppose they have something to do with the movies on which the FD is based, but I really loved the old ones just because they allowed you to really see the movement, the lines, and the grace of the team. These ones?? Her dress is just really LOUD and I don't understand why the red lace just STOPS on her sides, and his new outfit just looks very drab and anonymous and unintentional. (Again, don't know the movies, so forgive me if I'm totally missing something movie-related that makes sense of the costumes.)

skatingfan04

For those who missed the gala...

http://vimeo.com/85080039 (P/I's skate is in this half)

http://vimeo.com/85201219

So, steering the conversation back towards Sochi...

Where are you all thinking P/I might place? I was looking at a list of entries that someone had compiled on another thread, and P/I had the 15th best seasons best score of the bunch, which sounds about right. That score, however, was from Skate Canada where their SD was sub-par, so two clean skates might bring that number up a bit higher if the judging panel isn't too strict. Realistically, being a relatively unknown team, I'm thinking they probably will place around 15th, but perhaps might go as high as 12th if they skate lights out. That placement will likely go up at worlds, since chances are a handful of the top teams won't show. What do you think?

Last edited:

Zazy

Where are you all thinking P/I might place? I was looking at a list of entries that someone had compiled on another thread, and P/I had the 15th best seasons best score of the bunch, which sounds about right. That score, however, was from Skate Canada where their SD was sub-par, so two clean skates might bring that number up a bit higher if the judging panel isn't too strict. Realistically, being a relatively unknown team, I'm thinking they probably will place around 15th, but perhaps might go as high as 12th if they skate lights out. That placement will likely go up at worlds, since chances are a handful of the top teams won't show. What do you think?

I think Skate Canada might send G/P to worlds. As for ranking, I think 12th is certainly achievable if they skate like they did at Nationals.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Until 4C's, G/P's and P/I's international results were very close. G/P upped their PB to 10 points over P/I's current PB at Skate Canada. Assuming both teams compete at 2014 Worlds, how P/I fare should depend on how much of an impression they make in Sochi and whether the international judges give them the scores G/P received at 4C's. G/P are now 12th on the PB list, and, as important, are 13th on the WS list, over 1200 points ahead of P/I in 36th, and there are enough teams who will be at Worlds who are between P/I and G/P in WS points that P/I, even with points from the Olympics, should be at least a group earlier than G/P at Worlds, and possibly two groups. The only team that should bump G/P down is the Shibs, who have no championship points, and P/I, even with a good showing, won't pass many teams who won't get more points from the Olympics than they did at Euros. P/I will be at a disadvantage in start order at Worlds, compared to G/P.

V/M skating in Japan would certainly help P/I, but that's not in their plans, AFAIK.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Had not even thought of this--but if V/M do *not* skate at worlds, then the Canadians may very well lose a spot in dance (drop to 2). Certainly W/P can do very well---podium seems very possible--but would P/I and G/P do well enough to retain Canada's 3 spots in ice dance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information