Partnered vs solo

sk8r2021

I know if you test partnered pattern dance, you can also go to solo events. Not verse vice. But I was wondering, if you change to test solo pattern dance, should you retake all previous tests?

tapdancer10

If you switch from testing partnered dance to testing solo dance, you don't need to retake any pattern dances that you passed partnered. However, the pattern dances that you pass solo don't "count" towards partnered dance so you would have to retake any pattern dances that you passed solo to continue with partnered dance tests.

Partnered Dutch Waltz, solo Canasta, solo Rhythm Blues= solo Preliminary dance test; you can test solo Pre-Bronzes; you can't test patterned Pre-Bronzes - you would have to test and pass the Canasta and Rhythm Blues partnered before testing any partnered Pre-Bronzes.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I find that weird. There are many dances that I absolutely could not do solo that I can totally do partnered. Why would I have to retake the tests partnered but not solo?

gkelly

I think it's mainly so that the standard track competitive dancers will be required to pass the partnered dance tests before they can compete in partnered dance.

Clarice

Learning how to track with a partner is a skill unique to partnered dance. If you have only tested solo, you don't know how to work with a partner and so you need to go back to the beginning to learn that. It can be dangerous otherwise.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Learning how to track with a partner is a skill unique to partnered dance. If you have only tested solo, you don't know how to work with a partner and so you need to go back to the beginning to learn that. It can be dangerous otherwise.
Maybe my POV is because I attended a social ice dance session weekly where everyone partnered with everyone else. But anyone who can do the Dutch Waltz solo can do that with a partner with no danger. :D And the higher level dancers were doing all sorts of dances with all sorts of partners as well as solo, too. I think when you get to some of the Gold dances and Internationals, that might be an issue. But not every dance.

The people I know who do solo dance are doing these dances partnered with their coach in practice and not just solo.

sk8r2021

Another question following: Passing solo pattern dance will qualify solo dance competition, correct? like National Solo Dance Final.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Another question following: Passing solo pattern dance will qualify solo dance competition, correct? like National Solo Dance Final.

I don't see why it wouldn't. It would be odd to exclude skaters from competing in a category that they'd passed the tests for.

Debbie S

I'm pretty sure the announcement for the 2022 Solo Dance Series is posted on the USFS website. That should have the test requirements to qualify/compete.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
We have those testing requirements in Australia too. You can test with a partner which allows you compete solo but not the other way around. It is because skating with a partner is different to just doing it solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information