Papadakis/Cizeron #9 - People Will See Them And Cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

The worst thing anyone can do in their position is start listening to outsiders about changing their style. You can only win when you have a product you yourself believe in and reflects you. That authenticity is invaluable and everyone can feel it and cannot be replaced. That said, since this is a sport, I think their coaching team should reevaluate their lifts, spins, etc. and shake it up a bit. It’s sad, but champions like them are held to a much higher standard than upstarts who may also be guilty of doing the same moves season after season, but they haven’t been winning everything so people aren’t as tired of it yet.

Orm Irian

I saw two minor bobbles but nothing else too “off”. I don’t know how much politicking played into this result.

I hope they take positives out of this experience and continue to try different things with their programs. There are honestly things I would love to see them go back to the original IdF version, for both programs, esp. the RD.

I saw one bobble from Gabriella in the one-foot step; I didn't think it was enough to drop her down to a Level 2. I didn't see any other problems.

S/K were exact and empty - bland as bland can be. I can't understand them getting higher scores in PE and IN, it doesn't make sense based on what I saw. It wasn't the most mesmerising skate I've ever seen P/C do but it was precise, powerful and emotional; they were present and they drew you in. Most of the crowd was on their feet afterwards from what I saw.

The disapproving rumble that went up in the rink after the score came out, after that long, looooooooooong wait with the tech panel huddle going on for ever had to be heard to be believed. I think we all knew it was coming and they were going to make it happen one way or another, but it was still gutting.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
This may sound like a hindsight is 20/20 thing but I knew things wouldn't be easy for them here after seeing the RD score and the list of judges in FD. And then it happened.

I'm actually fine with S/K winning FD, though. For me the real problem is their score in RD - I'd have them swap scores with G/F.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Better now than at Worlds will be the silver lining of the day. They have proven to be fierce competitors facing the fiercest of them all, V/M. So I don't see why they would crumble in front of S/K, no offence intended but don't think S/K compare to V/M in terms of being tough competitors. A kick in the butt will be good for them but also for their coaches. Time to go home, have a big cry then get pissed, regroup and work their ass off. Game on.

Cachoo

This may sound like a hindsight is 20/20 thing but I knew things wouldn't be easy for them here after seeing the RD score and the list of judges in FD. And then it happened.

I'm actually fine with S/K winning FD, though. For me the real problem is their score in RD - I'd have them swap scores with G/F.

Do you see them as sacrificial lambs for this competition? I see something like this as alarm about the podium at the Grand Prix final. Somehow I think this is about the silver at Worlds with the caveat that P&C will win the gold.

I❤️Marina&Sergai

Do you see them as sacrificial lambs for this competition? I see something like this as alarm about the podium at the Grand Prix final. Somehow I think this is about the silver at Worlds with the caveat that P&C will win the gold. Before today’s result I thought there was a chance of Gadbois sweep or at least there being two North American’s (maybe G & P) being on the podium at worlds but I can’t see that happening now. Hope Gabby & Guillaume take this in their stride and have a great worlds.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Do you see them as sacrificial lambs for this competition? I see something like this as alarm about the podium at the Grand Prix final. Somehow I think this is about the silver at Worlds with the caveat that P&C will win the gold.

I can only answer this after Worlds, I guess. :lol:

But I think USFS may disagree with that since with all the momentum C/B is having now it would be disappointing if they end up with anything less than silver barring any major mistakes. I'm sure we'll see more politicking from every side.

bcash

Just saw the photo Guillaume shared of that new lift in the SD. It looks great in the frozen frame, but in real time it looked rushed and had no “exclamation“ effect.

Tila

An interview (in French) of GG, it seems Gaby has been going through a rough patch since last year, at one point they even thought of not coming to EC. Wishing the best to her, to the both of them...

Miloune

An interview (in French) of GG, it seems Gaby has been going through a rough patch since last year, at one point they even thought of not coming to EC. Wishing the best to her, to the both of them...

It's true that some of her Instagram posts suggested she was feeling "blue" lately.. I hope she finds how to get better soon♥.
Edit : I can't find the post in question but I remember her writing something about it not long ago... :/

Last edited:

jujubi64

It's true that some of her Instagram posts suggested she was feeling "blue" lately.. I hope she finds how to get better soon♥.
Édit : I can't find the post in question but I remember her writing something about it not long ago... :/
I remember too this post on her ig, delete after, just a big wish for a better health

Bigbird

I remember too this post on her ig, delete after, just a big wish for a better health
Wow, I really feel for Gabby. So sorry she cannot share her struggles, sometimes its cathartic. Hopefully she can with those closest to her. Hoping she can find her way to overcome.

Cachoo

I can only answer this after Worlds, I guess. :lol:

But I think USFS may disagree with that since with all the momentum C/B is having now it would be disappointing if they end up with anything less than silver barring any major mistakes. I'm sure we'll see more politicking from every side.

With the poor finish at the Grand Prix there needed to be a bold statement like a narrow defeat of the world champions to put the poor finish behind them and put them in line or above the North American teams. Anyway I think our reigning world champions will be ok.

cocotaffy

Edit : I can't find the post in question but I remember her writing something about it not long ago... :/
You might be referring to this post she wrote for the New Year I had translated at the time. She was clearly speaking about heavy struggle she had to go through and I remembered being shocked because she frankly hid it so well last season as they were winning everything on site. It appeared to have finally caught up with her. But as they have shown time and time again, they are strong mentally and very well surrounded. It does explain the weird atmosphere around this competition though, clearly this wasn't right. I hope them the best. She should rest, find a way to reconnect with herself and start afresh.
This new interview is extremely interesting. As per usual, they are gracious enough to stay candid and make us see what it is to struggle as an athlete. They had done so while sharing their so controversial feeling during the Olympics. That's also why I love them.
I wish her and them, as a team, the best.

muffinplus

Which of the FD performances has had the best camera work (Grand Prix, GPF, Euros) in your opinion? GPF and NHK are not great IMO. NHK especially with those wide angles

Also, I know I guess they find the black costumes from Internationaux De France too simple, and the space cut outs do add something, but I do like them

cocotaffy

Which of the FD performances has had the best camera work (Grand Prix, GPF, Euros) in your opinion? GPF and NHK are not great IMO. NHK especially with those wide angles

Also, I know I guess they find the black costumes from Internationaux De France too simple, and the space cut outs do add something, but I do like them
This video from Euros is interesting, great quality and a different angle. Rewatching their performance, it was really all right.

cocotaffy

Thanks. I will watch it..Do you think the official Euros video has the best camera work out of the official competition ones?
NHK isn't bad, the quality is very sharp and I do like the wide angle on the one step sequence because we get a sense of the amplitude of their skating. However, GPF close-ups are better especially filming their character step seq as well as their sliding/low lift element. The black costumes were very nice but the illusion fabric on his really made it looks like he was bear chest. Maybe the judges said something. They were very sharp at NHK though, it is their best performance to date for this FD, no wonder they got a WR.

Bigbird

You know I was somewhat gutted with what happened at EC this year just could not. Then I watched the press conference today and it was like the whole world understood what happened. I also went and watched G/Fs FD and wow was gutted for them as well. It is things like this that wil ensure that Ice Dance will in future not be considered a sport much less an Olympic Sport and the people to blame will be overwhelmingly the Russians. So that's that.

jujubi64

You know I was somewhat gutted with what happened at EC this year just could not. Then I watched the press conference today and it was like the whole world understood what happened. I also went and watched G/Fs FD and wow was gutted for them as well. It is things like this that wil ensure that Ice Dance will in future not be considered a sport much less an Olympic Sport and the people to blame will be overwhelmingly the Russians. So that's that.
I'm totally agree with you, this time it's was too obvious. Ice dance was on target since 2002, and it's getting again in full way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information