Papadakis/Cizeron #9 - People Will See Them And Cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcash

i still can't figure out what the shiny chain link looking thing was from the costume tease gabriella posted last week. i saw that the leotard had a shiny buckle on the belt but it didn't look like the chain in her photo.

I took another look and thought it's indeed part of the buckle, under a different lighting.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I prefer this year FD to last year by far. Last year was a simpler story not abstract in the least. I loved Oddudua and this one pick up that thread. Hopefully, she'll go for a full black leotard just adding some light skirt because of this stupid rule, it really add to the theme. Makes her position in the lifts stand out even more, especially that wonderful first rotational lift, she looks like a cello string so arched and tense ready to break but instead she does that slight jerky move at the end just on the beat of the music as if the chord was plucked to play pizzicato and meanwhile, Guillaume has accelerated and decelerated ever so slightly. This lift musicality is a work of art, probably their best to date. Please do not touch it in any way till Worlds :angryfire There are many more details I have yet to explore. However the step sequence needs a bit of work to plump it up.

millyskate

I think it takes an awful lot for a poet to put their work out there, and I'm a bit surprised at all the hate.

Maybe it's because it's so raw that it requires people to make themselves vulnerable to connect with it. Speaking seriously of emotions isn't comfortable.
I think the program is amazing.

I just watched their gala program and it's the first time I've seen them with a fully-choreographed gala piece and also the first time I've seen them skate a love story. I was completely surprised at how convincing they were with the romantic chemistry.

deegee

I think it takes an awful lot for a poet to put their work out there, and I'm a bit surprised at all the hate.

Maybe it's because it's so raw that it requires people to make themselves vulnerable to connect with it. Speaking seriously of emotions isn't comfortable.
I think the program is amazing.

I just watched their gala program and it's the first time I've seen them with a fully-choreographed gala piece and also the first time I've seen them skate a love story. I was completely surprised at how convincing they were with the romantic chemistry.

nah. his poem and the way he reads it just grate on my nerves. i go to poetry readings several times a year and used to read my own poetry in public when i was much much younger and not working full time. rawness and vulnerability of emotion aren't the problem here.

Bigbird

nah. his poem and the way he reads it just grate on my nerves. i go to poetry readings several times a year and used to read my own poetry in public when i was much much younger and not working full time. rawness and vulnerability of emotion aren't the problem here.

To each their own. No need to lift up one and put down the other, poetry is just so personal and subjective, IMHO.

MsZem

I see the sea
To each their own. No need to lift up one and put down the other, poetry is just so personal and subjective, IMHO.
I don't think deegee is suggesting otherwise. It's because of the subjectivity that the reactions to the poem are all over the place, and not because some people aren't comfortable with the expression of emotions. It's because this particular expression of emotion and vulnerability doesn't speak to everyone.

dramagrrl

Can someone link to a vid of this? I couldn't find it by searching on YouTube.

jujubi64

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you, you can watch this exibition on you tube on the show all that skate, i recommand you this:

cocotaffy

I wonder, is it just this particular poem which rubs you the wrong way or the idea of skating on a poem itself is also something you may find too pretentious or annoying like I've heard some say ? This is not a trick question, I'm genuinely interested especially since you mentioned having written poems yourself and being quite appreciative of this art form. If you like the idea, which type of poem would you think might work better ?

Last edited:

bcash

I think the instrumental track itself has an organic rise and fall in momentum, an atmospheric and emotional grounding. The speaking track adds to it at some points but also distracts from it at other points. This time the words bothered me less because we see their skating and faces close-up so the actual moves foregrounded themselves.

I agree that some of his intonation feels a bit too precious.

The problem I see with both last year’s FD and this year’s is this potential mismatch. Like they are trying to express something with emotional weight or an emotional arc, etc. but the music is not able to support that intention. I felt that most strongly about last year’s Character Step. This year, well also the Character Step (Lol) and maybe a few other Places, but this is still early and I hope they find a way to minimize that feeling of mismatch.

The biggest overall impression is that the FD really feels like a whole breath. With other teams I still notice a lot of elements added together sometimes brilliantly, but with them I feel like watching one single breath unfold.

Last edited:

synian

here is what Guillaume said about the theme of the free danse in the isu paper : Cizeron added: “This program is a little bit about death, but not in a really tragic way. It’s about two connected souls that want to find each other after life, after whatever they are going through. I think in this way it connects to everyone.”

laviemn

Did you not consider Duet or the Mozart FD or the Charms waltz to be love stories?

Here's a sharper performance of Power Over Me from All That Skate in June. Apparently the dancers had a party the night before which is probably why they were a bit off in this gala.

ETA: Nevermind, synian linked to the same performance above. I'll the leave the link because the picture quality is a bit better.

Last edited:

Icandance

here is what Guillaume said about the theme of the free danse in the isu paper : Cizeron added: “This program is a little bit about death, but not in a really tragic way. It’s about two connected souls that want to find each other after life, after whatever they are going through. I think in this way it connects to everyone.”

They are wonderful dancers, but this FD does not engage the audience even in France. Too dark, music, limited as it is, is depressing.

DreamSkates

I don't think deegee is suggesting otherwise. It's because of the subjectivity that the reactions to the poem are all over the place, and not because some people aren't comfortable with the expression of emotions. It's because this particular expression of emotion and vulnerability doesn't speak to everyone.
It also could be that it is very different from what other skaters use for "music" (lyrics that go with notes rather than speaking). But if any team can pull it off, they did. I am not an ice dance fan but I LOVED this program. Found it creative and interesting and meaningful and compelling.

DreamSkates

Some programs are meant to be entertaining (their rhythm dance) but others are meant for people to think deeply.

cocotaffy

Some programs are meant to be entertaining (their rhythm dance) but others are meant for people to think deeply.
Was about to say this year they have the most widely different programs they've ever skated in the same season. Going from 80's campy Fame to an quite abstract FD has to split their brain in two. Excellent answer to their critics about lacking range. Also there's a bit for everyone, don't like their FD, find it pretentious, well you'll surely enjoy their lighthearted RD. Find that RD too tacky well then you'll surely go for a deeper program. Don't know how they gonna keep this up till the Olympics but so far so good.

deegee

that's not what i was doing. i was simply responding to the suggestion that people who don't like the forrrst blakk poem may have some discomfort with letting themselves be open to vulnerability, etc.

Bigbird

that's not what i was doing. i was simply responding to the suggestion that people who don't like the forrrst blakk poem may have some discomfort with letting themselves be open to vulnerability, etc.

I must say

It is hard, very hard to see how one is connected to another. Hence the suggestion to not make any inferences at all.

deegee

I wonder, is it just this particular poem which rubs you the wrong way or the idea of skating on a poem itself is also something you may find too pretentious or annoying like I've heard some say ? This is not a trick question, I'm genuinely interested especially since you mentioned having written poems yourself and being quite appreciative of this art form. If you like the idea, which type of poem would you think might work better ?

i really loved the voice over added to delobel & schoenfelder's flight of the dove fd 🤷‍♀️

deegee

I must say

It is hard, very hard to see how one is connected to another. Hence the suggestion to not make any inferences at all.
what's the point of watching the program if you're not supposed to think about what it might mean? what an odd thing to suggest, especially with an fd where the dancers' intent is to be thought-provoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information