Papadakis/Cizeron #6 - Season's Over - Let's Get Drunk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icetigger

Icetigger you should definitely lighten up before your arteries all clog up. Breath. Smile. Laugh. Fart !! (The first one who can provide me with an accurate translation of "pète un coup ça décoince" wins her/his weight in home made macarons and cookies... :D )

Ok, I don't do rude, personal attacks, or engage with people who resort to them, scatalogical or otherwise. If you are able to discuss your ideas without being so defensive, let me know. Please also bear in mind, this is a forum for the discussion of ideas if that's what people choose to do. It's not necessarily a place where one person says something and then another person says another and there is no dialogue or discussion towards a positive end. It may of course not be for you, but at the same time, throwing insults at another person for wanting to do so, just because they are not operating to your agenda, is more a sign of being rigid and uptight than anything that I have written.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 74551

Grease? For Papadakis/Cizeron?! I can hardly think of a more unnatural fit. I guess nobody could ever question their versatility again if they pulled it off. There are a million better musicals out there :p

Icetigger

Grease? For Papadakis/Cizeron?! I can hardly think of a more unnatural fit. I guess nobody could ever question their versatility again if they pulled it off. There are a million better musicals out there :p
At the same time, you watch Travolta in the hand jive and tell me there is another male skater that could pull that off better than Guillaume.https://youtu.be/fY5pmzmiDO8?t=2m35s

D

Deleted member 74551

At the same time, you watch Travolta in the hand jive and tell me there is another male skater that could pull that off better than Guillaume.https://youtu.be/fY5pmzmiDO8?t=2m35s

Jean Luc Baker? I’m half joking, but I think P/C’s strength has always been their languid grace rather than the sharp retraction required for an authentic jive. Plus if they wanted to go down the swing/jive route again, there are a thousand better Broadway numbers to choose from ;) It would certainly be interesting to see- I just think musical theatre opens up so many possibilities more suited to them.

Icetigger

Jean Luc Baker? I’m half joking, but I think P/C’s strength has always been their languid grace rather than the sharp retraction required for an authentic jive. Plus if they wanted to go down the swing/jive route again, there are a thousand better Broadway numbers to choose from ;) I’m sure they’d do it well- I just think musical theatre opens up so many possibilities more suited to them.
I agree on the other possibilities. But at the same time, Travolta HAD languid grace. (Jive isn't an allowed rhythm anyway, so it's all hypothetical, with regard to that part of the soundtrack) Maybe there could have been a hand jive/worse things I could do sd last year? (Not necessarily from them/ was there?)

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I'm enjoying this thread. (Obviously I'm skipping the essays.) BTW I love Grease & know most of the lyrics but I don't want to see it used by ice dancers. I want P/C to skate to something beautiful.

Peepsquick

Bobrova & Soloviev just skated to Oblivion this year...

Wow ... Somehow it didn't click ... Thanks, Twilight1 ... seems, I really need my sleep! :slinkaway
My favorite Piazzola piece was taken last season (and beautifully skated imo) by Stepanova/Bukin...

cholla

Marquessa of Chartreuse
I'm enjoying this thread. (Obviously I'm skipping the essays.) BTW I love Grease & know most of the lyrics but I don't want to see it used by ice dancers. I want P/C to skate to something beautiful.
I'm not a fan of Grease either (I mean, on the ice and beside an exhibition). Laurine Lecavelier used it for 2 seasons and as much as I love her, (and the program was fun), it wasn't my cup of tea. I, too, want P/C to skate to something beautiful. I'd just like them to do something upbeat. Cocotaffy mentionned Woodkid and I loved this FD to pieces. I'd be curious too of what it could look like now that they have matured. But... it was a rather "dark" piece and I'd prefer something joyfull. They proved they're good at that too with their SDs.

Last edited:

Twilight1

Wow ... Somehow it didn't click ... Thanks, Twilight1 ... seems, I really need my sleep! :slinkaway
My favorite Piazzola piece was taken last season (and beautifully skated imo) by Stepanova/Bukin...

No worries. I liked B&S just never liked their programs.

And I ❤❤ Piazzola but think that may be too mainstream and other teams will skate to it.

As for Grease. I love Grease. Watch it every time it is on TV. Love the cheesy songs... but unless skaters are made to do the Jive... and P&C are desperate... I can't see them skate to it

IloveFS

Ok... maybe they could consider for their free dance (if they vote against Grease) music by Frank Sinatra. I think that would be sufficiently different (especially with lyrics) for figure skating fans (and maybe figure skating judges?) to take a second look at them and their versatility.

cholla

Marquessa of Chartreuse
One of my dreams is to see someone, anyone, skating to this. A good friend of mine who is a choreographer told me it would be difficult because it's so linear, but not impossible (for an exhib that is, so I'm off the current topic, and it's a short peace so it'd have to be coupled with another). I fell in love with the piece when "Dance with Wolves" was released and I love the choreogeaphy on this video. There are plenty of other melodies by Peter Buffet I like but there are more generic. It's nothing upbeat like what I mentionned earlier, and I'm unsure that would fit P/C glide and deep edges, but I mention it because seen on stage, it's fascinating. I've been raised by my grand-mother whose significant other was Navajo, and Native music played an important part in my every day life as a child. I still listen to a lot of Robert Mirabal and RC Nakai but I seriously doubt it could be transposed to the ice, but still, one day I'd love to see a program skated to this kind of music. In my eye, P/C are the only skaters who can skate to absolutely anything so my ultimate dream would be to see them interpreting one of my fave Native songs. Again, this is pure personal fantasy I'm sharing, not something I would submit them if they asked. Which they wouldn't anyway.

Another piece I fell in love with head over heels is this one. I love the crescendo. Karine Arribert, to whom I submit it, told me it was unfortunately "unskatable". But she didn't know Olafur Arnalds at the time and now she has picked up one of his songs for her next season senior ballet.

cholla

Marquessa of Chartreuse
Aaargh I posted the same thing twice, my apology. Allezfred can you delete the 2nd and truncated one ? Chocolate in advance ;)

cholla

Marquessa of Chartreuse
I think the links are missing. :)
Jeeeez look how good I am with a smartphone :rolleyes:. Sorry, I'm going to correct that.

Edit : Pat, the links are in my first post, not in the second truncated one... That will teach me being too lazy to turn the computer on.

Because of risk of cultural appropriation, I would be really really leary of doing this.
You're right. We have had ugly faux pas in ice dance before, and that could bring some more. But I love Native American music, it rocked a childhood and youth I have fond memories of.

Last edited:

pat c

Because of risk of cultural appropriation, I would be really really leary of doing this.

Yes, I agree but it's fun to listen to. :) I know someone who used this music as an interpretive skate.

Jeeeez look how good I am with a smartphone :rolleyes:. Sorry, I'm going to correct that.

Edit : Pat, the links are in my first post, not in the second truncated one... That will teach me being too lazy to turn the computer on.

You're right. We have had ugly faux pas in ice dance before, and that could bring some more. But I love Native American music, it rocked a childhood and youth I have fond memories of.

Oops......me too. ;) The only team I thought could ever pull off Indigenous music was Dubreuil and Lauzon. I can not think of anyone else who could.

laviemn

Fancam of the complete Build a Home EX. Notice the professional camera filming in the corner so I wonder if this might end up on TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoA0f-loYRE

The Olympics closing ceremony made me remember how much I loved this dance. Some of their movement and attitude in Woodkid makes me think they could really rock this style if they attacked it as they did the Latin. Is is sustainable for an entire FD though?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkAWwS3334o

I guess if the rule about recognizing the rhythm dance by the music selection goes into effect, we'll no longer get modern, unusual interpretations, which I'll regret. It opened them up to endless criticism, but Team Gadbois really has a flair for this and it made the SD competitions more interesting for me. I enjoyed many of the traditional waltzes from 2016, but the only ones I still re-watch now are Gabi & Guillaume, H/D, and FB/S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information