Papadakis/Cizeron #10 - Waacking All The Way To Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcash

Unfortunately from what I've heard, I'm 99% sure that they won't sell tickets to the general public. Your friend probably works in public sector or for an official partner and tickets are given to them.

Sadly you are proven right. The Organizing Committee just made an announcement that there'll be no public ticketing but instead they are going to organize attendance with targeted groups (to fill the seats), vague wording but very likely state employees, students etc. I was hoping they would do a reduced capacity ticketing policy where at least those sitting in the arena will be genuinely interested in the sports they are watching. I'm reaching out to all my connections to see if it's possible to secure an ID FD ticket but not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:

SLIVER

Sadly you are proven right. The Organizing Committee just made announcement that there'll be no public ticketing but instead they are going to organize attendance with targeted groups (to fill the seats), vague wording but very likely state employees, students etc. I was hoping they would at least do a reduced capacity ticketing policy where at least those sitting in the arena will be genuinely interested in the sports they are watching. I'm reaching out to all my connections to see if it's possible to secure an ID FD ticket but not getting my hopes up.
Ugh it’s going to be so sterile, quiet and anti climactic. 2018 was pretty bad, this is going to be awful but the sounds of it.

deegee

was the gpf before or after french nationals? just wondering since they were discussing the timing coming out of the stationary lift at the end of the rd. the ending looked a bit rushed at french nationals, as i recall.

Orm Irian

was the gpf before or after french nationals? just wondering since they were discussing the timing coming out of the stationary lift at the end of the rd. the ending looked a bit rushed at french nationals, as i recall.
It would have been before Nationals, but not by very much.

Escarbille

From everything I've read or heard, Gabby and Guillaume have no other horizon than Beijing.
The rest, they will see afte
On the other hand, I read very (too much for my taste) frequently about the future of Ice Dance next year, with all the couples retiring this Olympic season (including them implicitly being part of the lot
I think ? I hope ? I am convinced ? I pray ? I think there are plenty of good reasons for them to continue for a few years, and for me it's a minimum of two years (or more?)
  • They are young (26 and 27 years old).
  • They are real competitors: two more years can give them the opportunity to break world (7 titles) and European (7 titles) records.
  • Competitions take place in places they like: GPF 2022 in Turin, World 2023 in Saitama (2014, 2019), GPF 2023 in Orléans (France), World 2024 in Montreal.
  • After a 2020/2021 season without competitions, a 2021/2022 season with incomplete competitions and with few spectators, they are competitors but also great artists who love and need to train the public.
And you ? do you see other reasons? arguments? wishes? Want? that would allow us to follow and encourage them again and again over the next few years?

Miloune

From everything I've read or heard, Gabby and Guillaume have no other horizon than Beijing.
On the other hand, I read very (too much for my taste) frequently about the future of Ice Dance next year, with all the couples retiring this Olympic season (including them implicitly being part of the lot
I think ? I hope ? I am convinced ? I pray ? I think there are plenty of good reasons for them to continue for a few years, and for me it's a minimum of two years (or more?)
  • They are real competitors: two more years can give them the opportunity to break world (7 titles) and European (7 titles) records.
  • Competitions take place in places they like: GPF 2022 in Turin, World 2023 in Saitama (2014, 2019), GPF 2023 in Orléans (France), World 2024 in Montreal.
  • After a 2020/2021 season without competitions, a 2021/2022 season with incomplete competitions and with few spectators, they are competitors but also great artists who love and need to train the public.
And you ? do you see other reasons? arguments? wishes? Want? that would allow us to follow and encourage them again and again over the next few years?

I don't know, I feel like they want to stop. I don't know if they'll keep themselves motivated enough. They've won it all pretty young, that's their greatest and somehow "saddest" achievement (if that makes sense)
I hope I'm wrong though!

Isabelle.G

Don't know about the future, I guess it's possible they'll take time off and we'll see... but I keep hoping they're going to compete at Worlds this year. If covid allows the competition to take place, it's in their home country and if anything, it could be a really nice way for them to end the season (hopefully just the season) there...

synian

I don't know anything about them (personally) or anything about their relationship with the french federation or/and french sport team or sponsoring. But may be there is also some great interest for the federation for them to stay more time in the french team as team "booster" for the example that anything is possible and may be in order to help young ice dance teams to get opening in internationnal competition .... I so want them to continue to give us art and emotions ...

Bigbird

Don't know about the future, I guess it's possible they'll take time off and we'll see... but I keep hoping they're going to compete at Worlds this year. If ********* allows the competition to take place, it's in their home country and if anything, it could be a really nice way for them to end the season (hopefully just the season) there...
Either way whether competitive or as professionals, as long as they skate, its alright. Their gala performances are just awesome sauce. We're in for a treat regardless.

Orm Irian

Don't know about the future, I guess it's possible they'll take time off and we'll see... but I keep hoping they're going to compete at Worlds this year. If ********* allows the competition to take place, it's in their home country and if anything, it could be a really nice way for them to end the season (hopefully just the season) there...
Romain Haguenauer stated re their withdrawal from Europeans that their season priorities were 1. The Olympics, 2. Worlds and 3. Euros, so the odds of them going to Worlds if they remain C-19-free are pretty high, I'd say. 🙂

Nmsis

I don't know, I feel like they want to stop. I don't know if they'll keep themselves motivated enough. They've won it all pretty young, that's their greatest and somehow "saddest" achievement (if that makes sense)
I hope I'm wrong though!
If their exhibition program is to be read into ...
"Avec le temps" is an exit song that Léo Férré used to sing at the very end of his shows.
He wanted no applauses and no encore after it.

With time ...

With time, everything goes away

We forget the face and we forget the voice

When the heart stops beating,

There's no need to push further,

Let it go, that’s fine

With time ...

The other that we used to love, that we were looking for under the rain

The other we figured out of the corner of the eye

Between words, between lines and under the make-up

Of a disguised vow sleeping through the night

With time, everything vanishes

With Time,

Even our fondest memories look bad somehow

At the discount store, I scavenge through the aisles of death,

On Saturday night, when tenderness goes away on its own,

With time,

The other we were trusting for a cold, for a mere nothing

The other to whom we gave wind and jewels

For whom we would have sold our soul for a few coins

In front of whom we used to crawl like dogs crawl

With time, everything is fine

With time,

We forget the passions and we forget the voices

Which used to whisper us the words of humble people

"Don't come back late,

Above all, don't catch a cold."

With time,

And we feel pale, like an exhausted horse

And we feel frozen in a random bed

And we may feel alone but chilled out

And we feel fooled by the lost years

So really...with time...we love no more

Of course, being a chanson française monument would be enough to draw P/C without second thoughts,
But ...

Last edited:

bcash

Come to think of it, they've had quite a few truncated seasons in their career. '15-'16 Only Euros and Worlds. '18-'19 One GP and no GPF, '19-'20 No Worlds, '20-'21 Did not compete . '21-'22 No GPF, No Euros.

Escarbille

Guillaume Cizeron (figure skating), Maurice Manificat (cross-country skiing), Kevin Rolland (half pipe), Gabriella Papadakis (figure skating), Julia Pereira (snowboarding) and Tessa Worley (alpine skiing) are the six athletes who are candidates to be flag of the French delegation during the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Beijing on 4 February.

As at the recent Olympic Games in Tokyo, a man and a woman will share the honor of opening the parade of the French delegation. They will be chosen by a vote of the 26 sports ambassadors who have been chosen by a public vote. Their choice will be made public on January 26. The flag bearers for the Paralympic Games (March 4-13) will be presented on the same day.

Escarbille

I saw that in The You tube Comments, and it works !!
Enjoy :)

Hi! Turn on closed subtitles/cc, go to settings, it will say French (auto-generated), select auto-translate, go to English. The translation is not very good, but it will give you an idea what they are saying/laughing about.

synian

can someone give an overview for the non french speakers, please?
find this on the youtube in the comment :
from

Agathe H

Here is a raw English translation of the interview (feel free to correct me if you notice any mistake) :
Gabi : We practiced that move with our ballet teacher
Guillaume : Aah, I'm sure they'll keep that during the editing
"En route pour Pékin" : On the road to Beijing
Question : How did you discover ice dancing ?
Guillaume : It was thanks to my sister, who practiced ice skating at Clermont-Ferrand (city in France). I guess it was convenient for my parents that we practiced the same sport and that's how I started.
Gabi : My mum was an ice skating coach so I started thanks to her.
Question : What do you like most in ice dancing ?
Guillaume : This sort of feeling that we are flying over the ice. I think that's the magic of this sport.
Gabi : I would say the same thing and also all the richness in doing choregraphies, exploring different dance styles, the very demanding work it requires. It's very complex and very rich, we learn a lot, that's what I like most.
Question : The first time you met ?
Guillaume : It's hard to say because we met when we were about six years old.
Gabi : Yeah
Guillaume : Sooo, I don't really know what we said to one another then
Gabi : I can't remember either
Guillaume : We were friends, we were buddies
Gabi : I don't remember the day we met exactly, we just grew up in the same circles, we were doing the same things.
Question : The biggest challenge when you are an ice dancers couple ?
Gabi : "To break the ice" (wink)
Guillaume : (wink wink)
Question : The most stressed out of the two ?
Guillaume : It depends on the competition.
Gabi : Yeah, I would say it's pretty much the same. It depends, sometimes it's him, sometimes it's me. But usually, we balance each other out.
Question : The most perfectionnist ?
Gabi : I would say Guillaume
Guillaume : If by "perfectionnist" you mean "ballbuster", then that would be me. (laughs) I don't know if I'm allowed to say that here.
Question : Who's the most punctual ?
Gabi : It's him. Mister is a perfectionnist.
Guillaume : That said, I am not the MOST punctual
Gabi : Just the least late
Guillaume : Let's say there isn't much competition on that level
Question : How do you pick the music ?
Gabi : We don't always agree but the agreeing process ... (laughs), wtf "the agreeing process" ... anyway, the agreeing process goes rather smoothly
Guillaume : We "tune our violins" (French expression to say "to find an agreement" + he's making a pun with the words "accord" which means agreement and "accorder" which means to tune)
Gabi : Haha, very funny
Question : The ideal music ?
Gabi : I'd find it cool to have silence but with only mikes under our skates, so that we only hear the sound of the blades on the ice. And it would be like a kind of... "music". (unconvinced) That'd be cool I think...or not ? Maybe ?
Guillaume : (very unconvinced)
Question : Do you have a superstition before competing ?
Gabi : All of our competition days are similar, so we are used to a certain rythm, we have our little things. Like we visualize the program in our head while holding hands, we walk hand in hand before competing. It's a multitude of tiny little things that make our routine
Question : The worst question you are always being asked ?
Guillaume : There's a question we hate, it's when we are asked to describe the other using three words. That question comes back every time.
Gabi : Yeah, or "Name three of Guillaume's flaws"...while he's standing next to me ! Well, I'm not going to say. I mean, we have to skate together tomorrow sooo...
Question : How do you approach Beijing 2022 ?
Guillaume : We acquired a lot of maturity. We grew up, too. We're four years older, now, four more years of experience. And I think these Olympics represent something a bit different. We still have the same goal, winning the gold medal. But I think we acquired a certain serenity, a certain experience we probably didn't have four years ago.
Question : A message for the audience ?
Gabi : Thank you for being here and for supporting us. We especially realise how important that is, since we spent a year and a half with the pandemic, not being able to see you. So we're really glad that we finally get the chance to reconnect with you all, even from a distance, so thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/create_channel?upsell=comment

Bigbird

from

Agathe H

Here is a raw English translation of the interview (feel free to correct me if you notice any mistake) :
Guillaume : It was thanks to my sister, who practiced ice skating at Clermont-Ferrand (city in France). I guess it was convenient for my parents that we practiced the same sport and that's how I started.
Guillaume : This sort of feeling that we are flying over the ice. I think that's the magic of this sport.
Gabi : I would say the same thing and also all the richness in doing choregraphies, exploring different dance styles, the very demanding work it requires. It's very complex and very rich, we learn a lot, that's what I like most.
Gabi : I don't remember the day we met exactly, we just grew up in the same circles, we were doing the same things.
Gabi : Yeah, I would say it's pretty much the same. It depends, sometimes it's him, sometimes it's me. But usually, we balance each other out.
Guillaume : If by "perfectionnist" you mean "ballbuster", then that would be me. (laughs) I don't know if I'm allowed to say that here.
Gabi : We don't always agree but the agreeing process ... (laughs), wtf "the agreeing process" ... anyway, the agreeing process goes rather smoothly
Guillaume : We "tune our violins" (French expression to say "to find an agreement" + he's making a pun with the words "accord" which means agreement and "accorder" which means to tune)
Gabi : I'd find it cool to have silence but with only mikes under our skates, so that we only hear the sound of the blades on the ice. And it would be like a kind of... "music". (unconvinced) That'd be cool I think...or not ? Maybe ?
Gabi : All of our competition days are similar, so we are used to a certain rythm, we have our little things. Like we visualize the program in our head while holding hands, we walk hand in hand before competing. It's a multitude of tiny little things that make our routine
Guillaume : There's a question we hate, it's when we are asked to describe the other using three words. That question comes back every time.
Gabi : Yeah, or "Name three of Guillaume's flaws"...while he's standing next to me ! Well, I'm not going to say. I mean, we have to skate together tomorrow sooo...
Guillaume : We acquired a lot of maturity. We grew up, too. We're four years older, now, four more years of experience. And I think these Olympics represent something a bit different. We still have the same goal, winning the gold medal. But I think we acquired a certain serenity, a certain experience we probably didn't have four years ago.
Gabi : Thank you for being here and for supporting us. We especially realise how important that is, since we spent a year and a half with the *********, not being able to see you. So we're really glad that we finally get the chance to reconnect with you all, even from a distance, so thanks.

How absolutely sweet. Allez allez. Take that Gold!!!Rar.

irenemulindwairen

from

Agathe H

Gabi : Thank you for being here and for supporting us. We especially realise how important that is, since we spent a year and a half with the *********, not being able to see you. So we're really glad that we finally get the chance to reconnect with you all, even from a distance, so thanks.

What a beautiful interview. God bless you both and please win that GOLD!!!🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Some weeks ago, I was virtually invited to a press conference in Montpellier during which Nathalie Péchalat said that P/C skipping Worlds, bar injury or sickness, was not conceivable. They are what she called the "main incentive" for French people to buy tickets and the best representatives of their sport. FFSG simply can't afford NOT to have them competing. And I agree with Nmsis, their exhibition number looks and sounds clearly like farewells.

Taso

Some weeks ago, I was virtually invited to a press conference in Montpellier during which Nathalie Péchalat said that P/C skipping Worlds, bar injury or sickness, was not conceivable. They are what she called the "main incentive" for French people to buy tickets and the best representatives of their sport. FFSG simply can't afford NOT to have them competing. And I agree with Nmsis, their exhibition number looks and sounds clearly like farewells.
Yes, I've been thinking this all along I can't imagine them not at Worlds without an injury or illness for exactly what Pechalat said.

I have to say my heart really hopes P&C are like T&D in that they say farewell several times throughout their careers ;)

Orm Irian

Yes, I've been thinking this all along I can't imagine them not at Worlds without an injury or illness for exactly what Pechalat said.

I have to say my heart really hopes P&C are like T&D in that they say farewell several times throughout their careers ;)

We have a saying in Australia about performers making "more comebacks than Nellie Melba" (or, these days, John Farnham, LOL). Maybe in France one day the saying will be "more comebacks than Papadakis and Cizeron"!

Sylvia

TBD
EV: What can you say about the French duo?
Evgeni Platov: Papadakis/Cizeron are unique in their gliding. They enchant the viewer like a snake it's victim. Enchant with their soft, flowing absolute magnetism. They sit so low and so soft on their knees it's really hard to compete against them in the gliding. It's a unique technique. When I coach the ice dancers I often use a phrase: let's do it like the French do.

EV: I.e. the ability to glide is something you can coach?
Evgeni Platov: As a professional I can say sitting that low on the knees is almost impossible. I don't even understand how do Papadakis and Cizeron do it: how strong their legs must be and how soft thanks to that the gliding is. If you run on the ice on the straight legs you can never achieve that - it will not work.
Full interview by Elena Vaytsekhovskaya is translated in GSD here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/vaytskhovskayas-interview-with-platov.109360/

bcash

Okay, there's no English or French subtitles on this video clip so I can't follow the narration, but that's a Beijing athletes' dining hall, right? Looks like Gabriella and Guillaume have cleared quarantine and are in the village!
Thanks for finding this! Looks like it! I was just checking their instagram pages to see if any update has been posted since Gabi's picture of their airport arrival.

Bigbird

Okay, there's no English or French subtitles on this video clip so I can't follow the narration, but that's a Beijing athletes' dining hall, right? Looks like Gabriella and Guillaume have cleared quarantine and are in the village!
So Putin has offered the winners at Beijing $4million Rubles, Oksana Grishuk is singing the praises of D/S's Moulin Rouge, also as per Grishuk, Zhulin is the greatest choreographer ever, just stopped short of saying Rach was the greatest piece since Bolero, blah blah blah. This Olympics business really is a business. Some serious money was shelled out. Go P/C I need you to bring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information