Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man's Best Friend (The Book Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
From library newsletter email -
"We are happy to announce that as of January 1, 2018, Dayton Metro Library will no longer charge fines for items that are returned overdue.

Just out of curiousity, do you go to the Linden Avenue library or the one on Lyons Road?

You can ignore or PM me or whatever; I'm not planning to stalk you, just....curious.

Susan1

Just out of curiousity, do you go to the Linden Avenue library or the one on Lyons Road?

You can ignore or PM me or whatever; I'm not planning to stalk you, just....curious.

My home library (where I schedule pick up of reserved books and used to volunteer) was West Carrollton till they closed in September to completely remodel and expand the whole thing. It was closest to my house in Miami Township, then about the same distance the other way from this house in Miamisburg for the last 10 years. They won't be open till September again. So I switched to Miamisburg (now Linden Avenue) as my home library. It's the third library in Miamisburg in my lifetime! The second one was only closed for a month after they built the new library a block away while they transferred books. But I also go to the Miami Township (Lyons) one, usually to drop off books on my way somewhere around the mall.

I'll be going to the Miamisburg library this afternoon. I have three books reserved I need to pick up. Libraries will be closed the Saturday and Monday of Christmas and New Year's. We had a water main break yesterday morning right in front of my house and I didn't have any water for 4 hours (still brushing my teeth with bottled water because of the boil advisory) and couldn't have gotten out of the driveway anyway.

Susan1

For anybody who reads mysteries/thrillers like I do, has anyone read anything by Cate Holahan? I started Lies She Told, but it is too confusing. I had to stop just a few pages in. She is a writer who, I guess, her husband is having an affair and she is writing a book where the character's husband is having an affair. Being a thriller, I guess the husbands get murdered or something later? I just looked at reviews and some people aren't sure who the murderer was after reading the book (the real book, not the book-in-the-book?). :huh: No thanks!

It is her latest book, reviewed in the library magazine, but she has too earlier ones. I'm wondering if I should try one of those.

Last edited:

Winnipeg

Never read her work and this does not inspire me to do so.

Finished 11/22/63, it was really good!

millyskate

I just finished A Life by Simone Veil, the French female Auschwitz survivor who became a politician and led the legalisation of abortion in France.
It's a very interesting, honest account of life from the perspective of someone in power. Probably would be more interesting to someone who has vague knowledge of French politics, but still interesting. She's a very convinced Europhile and provides insight into why the system hasn't really worked - and gives sometimes sharp critiques of fellow politicians.

She's the kind of person who always believes she's in the right and never questions herself, but it's nonetheless an insightful and good read.

Susan1

Interesting - in the January library magazine, they mentioned the newest thriller by Andrew Grant. I looked him up. It said he is Lee Child's (Reacher books) younger brother. Child? Grant? So I looked that up.

"James D. "Jim" Grant (born 29 October 1954), primarily known by his pen name Lee Child, is a British author who writes thriller novels............."

Erin

Banned Member
I did a bit of holiday reading, although not terribly cheery.

17 Carnations by Andrew Morton (mostly known for writing a biography of Princess Diana) was about Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII, named for the flowers that a high ranking Nazi officer sent her (daily?), supposedly representing the number of times they slept together. It started out reasonably interesting, but then it got really bogged down in parts, particularly towards the end when describing how the Windsor files (I think also known as the Marburg files, for fans of The Crown) were discovered. I skimmed a lot towards the end. I'm going to give Deborah Cadbury's Princes at War a try next, which is on a similar topic, covering the then Duke of Windsor and George VI during WWII. She's the same one who wrote Victoria's Matchmaking and I liked her writing style, so I'm a bit more optimistic for that one.

I also read Dream Hoarders: How the American Upper Middle Class Is Leaving Everyone Else in the Dust, Why That Is a Problem, and What to Do About It by Richard Reeves, which I've had on hold at the library for months. Surprisingly for a book that isn't very long, it was rather repetitive. The theme is pretty obvious from the subtitle, that the upper middle class are preventing everyone else from getting opportunities. It's similar to what was discussed in Robert Putnam's Our Kids: The American Dream In Crisis, which is actually referenced several times in the book. But I thought Putnam made the point in a more interesting way. The part that was somewhat interesting in Dream Hoarders was the "what to do about it". Although as someone who is not a parent, can't vote (and won't be able to for at least six years), and has no influence over zoning or whether colleges have legacy admissions, it all felt rather unactionable to me.

Jenny

From the Bloc
From his own website:

Is Lee Child Lee Child’s real name?
It isn’t the name he was born with. He says, “The performers’ unions I belonged to in the past demanded a name change if there was a danger of confusion with an established personality. As a consequence over the years I worked under three different names, and I saw how it was often a valuable psychological boost, you know, new job, new name, personal reinvention, maybe this time things will work out a little better.”

And this time, things did work out a little better. Which begs the question, what’s real, anyway? “Maybe ten people in the world call me by the name on my birth certificate. Sometimes I can barely remember what it is. Ten million people call me Lee Child. That’s more real to me than government paperwork.”

Lee Child is the only name under which any of his writing has been published. All of his novels and short stories are listed on the website BOOKS and SHORT STORIES page, no exception.

modern_muslimah

Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank
"We are happy to announce that as of January 1, 2018, Dayton Metro Library will no longer charge fines for items that are returned overdue.

Accumulated overdue fines too often prevent Library patrons from checking out more items - even though the materials they borrowed have been returned. It's our goal that all patrons can enjoy the books, movies, music and services the Library offers.

Borrowers must still return items to the Library when they are due, and reminder notices will be sent. Items not returned after 21 days overdue will be considered lost, and replacement costs will be charged. Overdue fines that were charged prior to January 1, 2018, will remain on borrower accounts until they are paid."

"Inside" goes on to say that collecting nickels and dimes is not cost effective and too time consuming, etc.
And -

"Accumulated overdue fines prevent some patrons from checking out books and other materials. It is more important that materials are returned so that others may borrow them, than it is to charge late fees that can add up and prevent someone from using their Library.............. As in the past, Library cards will continue to be inactivated when there are $10 or more in charges or 10 items or more overdue."

So now we might have to wait an extra 21 days for a popular book to come back because there is no urgency? Regular check outs already renew 5 times the normal three weeks, unless there are too many holds on it. They send an email when books hit the renew date or not. It doesn't say if there is any change to checking out 7 day books. Or interlibrary books that have to be taken back to the library you checked it out from in three weeks. And they want people with fines to be able to check out more books while those of us who don't have any fines had to wait for them to return a book? But the library cards of the people with fines will be inactivated (s/b "deactivated"!) if they have $10 or more in charges anyway?
:wall:

This is the trend for public libraries right now. The library where I am employed is considering doing the same thing but so far has not. For some librarians, their reasoning is that they want to make the library more egalitarian and not prevent people from using the library because they have fines over a certain threshold. I can understand the thinking. With declining circulation numbers, you definitely don't want less people borrowing items. However, I do fear that we will face more situations like the one you mentioned in your last paragraph. I fear that without the threat of fines, some people will shirk their responsibility of returning items in a timely manner.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Just finished a YA novel by Julie Buxbaum called “What to say next”. It had been a free sample on Kindle, but the story had me buying it quickly. Loved the two main character’s voices, and ended the book wanting to know what happens next with them (not something that happens often for me). I’d recommend, and I may try another of hers

TheGirlCanSkate

I just read Monster by Walter Dean Myers- it is a book my son is having his class read this semester. it's about a 14 year old on trial for aiding in a murder. Steven Harmon, the 14-year-old, writes out his experience and thoughts like a film. It was an easy read and thought-provoking.

clairecloutier

This is the trend for public libraries right now. The library where I am employed is considering doing the same thing but so far has not. For some librarians, their reasoning is that they want to make the library more egalitarian and not prevent people from using the library because they have fines over a certain threshold. I can understand the thinking. With declining circulation numbers, you definitely don't want less people borrowing items. However, I do fear that we will face more situations like the one you mentioned in your last paragraph. I fear that without the threat of fines, some people will shirk their responsibility of returning items in a timely manner.

Our public library has fines for overdue adult books, but not overdue childrens books. What this leads to for us: We take out many more children’s books than we otherwise would (and read the majority of them). So we are reading more books. But yes, I admit sometimes I’ve been a bit lax about returning them (not always, just sometimes). So, pros and cons, I guess.

I’m much more conservative about how many adult books I take out. But still, I often struggle to finish them on time and usually renew 2 times (the max we’re allowed).

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
Anyone ever read novels by Don Winslow? I just saw a movie version of one of his books and am wondering if I should try them - reviews on Amazon and some excerpts show a more modern style of writing, so just wondering if anyone has tried and enjoyed them.

oleada

I finished Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, which was nominated for a National Book Award. I think of all the book awards, the National Book Award tends to be most to my taste, as I usually really like their choices. This wasn't an exception. It follows a family of ethnic Koreans in Japan, from the 1900s to the present day. It's beautiful and powerful, and it taught me a lot about something I didn't know much (Mao/Yuna YouTube fan wars aside....:shuffle:). I love the first line: "History has failed us, but no matter".

Thanks to another FSUer, I have spent my entirely pointless day at work listening to The Baby Sitters Club Club, a podcast about the Baby Sitters Club series. It has two hosts, one who read them as a kid and his friend, who is only reading them now. It's hilarious and I love it and it takes me way back. The first episode or two bugged me because Stoneybrook is in Connecticut, not Long Island. :shuffle: They should hire me as a fact checker; the BSC facts have never left my brain after all these years. So then I went and downloaded a ton of Baby Sitters Club books from the New York City Public Library so I can relive my childhood :lol:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Thanks to another FSUer, I have spent my entirely pointless day at work listening to The Baby Sitters Club Club, a podcast about the Baby Sitters Club series. It has two hosts, one who read them as a kid and his friend, who is only reading them now. It's hilarious and I love it and it takes me way back. The first episode or two bugged me because Stoneybrook is in Connecticut, not Long Island. :shuffle: They should hire me as a fact checker; the BSC facts have never left my brain after all these years. So then I went and downloaded a ton of Baby Sitters Club books from the New York City Public Library so I can relive my childhood :lol:

OH. MY. GOD. Thank you for this!!!

Erin

Banned Member
Oh dear...@oleada I'm afraid you have led me into a tremendous time suck! (But likely to be an enjoyable one) I need to be catching up on the GP to clear up space on my PVR this weekend though.

nlloyd

I'm reading the latest novel by British novelist, Joanna Trollope, City of Friends. Trollope is one of my favourite authors, and this, her twentieth novel, marks an unusual and, in my opinion, successful departure from her earlier work. As in her other novels, she assumes the role of social observer, but in this novel her focus is the lives of four successful business women -- the only female students in their economics course at the University of London in the 1980s -- whose work is crucial to their sense of worth. What is unusual is Trollope's acceptance of the priority that these women give their work: they unashamedly fit their families around it. Trollope then observes what happens when women whose identities are informed by their jobs lose their jobs or are faced with ailing parents at the peak of their careers or face the competing needs of doing business with one another and preserving their friendships. The novel is a fresh take on the notion that women can't have it all - or shouldn't expect to - while also moving the debate forward into new territory. For me, her depiction of women working as business consultants, global finance, and law rang true even though these careers are not described in great depth. The title is an allusion not only to professional urban women, but to the City of London, the inner business district of London.

Last edited:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
The only two books I've read recently that I remember well:

The Madman's Tale by John Katzenbach: When he was young, schizophrenic Francis Petrel was confined to a mental institution. Many years later, he is invited to return for a dedication ceremony, which brings back memories of the time a nurse was murdered on his ward and he, among others, hunted for the killer concealed in their midst. Francis is a sympathetic, interesting character and the story, while wildly improbable in many ways, is a page-turner.

The Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places in the World: Longtime NPR foreign correspondent and lifelong Eeyore Eric Weiner is approaching middle age and wonders if he will ever find a way to be happy. Seeking answers, he visits countries with high happiness indices (and Moldova, the most miserable place on earth) to see if the key to happiness is cultural--what makes the people of X happier than people elsewhere? He travels about, interviewing people and drinking a great deal of alcohol, and makes observations that often made me laugh out loud. Similar to Bill Bryson, but also quite different, Weiner is a lot of fun, but he manages to work some thought-provoking stuff in there, too. I have his The Geography of Genius to read....soon.

Susan1

Accumulated overdue fines too often prevent Library patrons from checking out more items - even though the materials they borrowed have been returned. It's our goal that all patrons can enjoy the books, movies, music and services the Library offers.

Borrowers must still return items to the Library when they are due, and reminder notices will be sent. Items not returned after 21 days overdue will be considered lost, and replacement costs will be charged. Overdue fines that were charged prior to January 1, 2018, will remain on borrower accounts until they are paid."

Arrgghh! What if they don't automatically renew books five times anymore? I stock up and don't have to worry about them being returned. I've got three books I got before Christmas that are due on January 11, plus others since. I've read 7 day ones in between and interlibrary ones that are not renewable. I reserve books and might have to wait for them so I read the ones that I have. It depends on what I'm in the mood for, not the ones that are due the soonest. Anyway, when you could renew something five times, how often would you have to pay pennies in fines for it being late - unless you actually lost the book anyway. The only time things were due in 21 days is if it was a new book and there were other holds in line for it. This does not make sense.

Susan1

Arrgghh! What if they don't automatically renew books five times anymore? I stock up and don't have to worry about them being returned. I've got three books I got before Christmas that are due on January 11, plus others since. I've read 7 day ones in between and interlibrary ones that are not renewable. I reserve books and might have to wait for them so I read the ones that I have. It depends on what I'm in the mood for, not the ones that are due the soonest. Anyway, when you could renew something five times, how often would you have to pay pennies in fines for it being late - unless you actually lost the book anyway. The only time things were due in 21 days is if it was a new book and there were other holds in line for it. This does not make sense.

Part of email received back after I left a "question" on the library website -
"Borrowed items still have due dates and they can still be renewed up to 5 times as long as no one requests them. Items more than 21 days overdue are considered lost and a replacement fee is charged to your account. If you bring the item back that fee goes away."

And then she went on to explain the whole collection agency thing. So, why didn't they mention anything about being able to renew books. They make it sound like it's 21 days and then that is it. The only thing different is if you don't keep renewing the book, you won't be charged 5 cents a day or whatever.

I went to the website and renewed all the books I have till the 29th, except for one book that is due the 16th that would not renew. I'll read that one next.

millyskate

I am currently moving. :yikes:
I am leaving four large carrier bags of books in storage, and taking four large boxes/carrier bags with me. I still have books that don't fit in all of the above, plus a bookshelf full at my parents' house :scream:

Erin

Banned Member
As I had mentioned earlier, I finished off all of my British royal history with Princes at War by Deborah Cadbury, who also wrote Victoria's Matchmaking. It is basically a history of World War II from the perspective of the British royal family (and Churchill thrown in there too) beginning with Edward VIII's abdication. I thought it was really well done, definitely way more interesting than 17 Carnations. If I had a complaint, it seemed like there were a couple of major events of WWII that were kind of glossed over or covered unclearly and so I had to keep Wikipedia at hand to understand the context of a few sections. But that's generally pretty minor.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
As I had mentioned earlier, I finished off all of my British royal history with Princes at War by Deborah Cadbury, who also wrote Victoria's Matchmaking. It is basically a history of World War II from the perspective of the British royal family (and Churchill thrown in there too) beginning with Edward VIII's abdication. I thought it was really well done, definitely way more interesting than 17 Carnations. If I had a complaint, it seemed like there were a couple of major events of WWII that were kind of glossed over or covered unclearly and so I had to keep Wikipedia at hand to understand the context of a few sections. But that's generally pretty minor.

Thanks to your previous recommendation, I'm reading Princes At War (if this is a spoiler I apologize, but I'm up to Dunkirk).

I do have to admit I put the princes aside and read a Harlan Coben novel on the flight home from San Jose. :)

Susan1

Thanks to your previous recommendation, I'm reading Princes At War (if this is a spoiler I apologize, but I'm up to Dunkirk).

I do have to admit I put the princes aside and read a Harlan Coben novel on the flight home from San Jose. :)

Which one? I've read all of the Myron Bolitars, the first Mickey Bolitar and a couple of the standalones. I have Six Years here, but I got it before the library changed their policy and it's due back next Tuesday - the only one I had that can't be renewed. They are closed Monday, and we're supposed to have a snow storm this weekend, so I will either have to read it tomorrow and take it back Thursday (rain all day Friday) or just take it back and check it out again later.

Sidebar - Are you all reading as fast as I am typing? :) All wound up!! Yesterday was the first day it got above freezing since Dec. 24. There was still ice everywhere all morning. The dentist office even called to see if I wanted to postpone the permanent crown because the parking lot was so bad. By the time I got there at 12:45, it was o.k. Today, the roof guy got here at 1:55 to fix a shingle and it was in the 40's. He didn't even have a coat on. I made it back to the dentist to have a rough edge smoothed out by 2:20, went to the CVS next door, then the bank and Walgreen's. I was home at 3:20. You can see all of those places if you stand on the corner of Central and Heincke. I'll have to take books back to the library and go to the store tomorrow or Thursday. I'm exhausted. But I won't have to worry about my tooth or the roof all weekend. Just me rambling. Nobody here to tell!

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Which one? I've read all of the Myron Bolitars, the first Mickey Bolitar and a couple of the standalones. I have Six Years here, but I got it before the library changed their policy and it's due back next Tuesday - the only one I had that can't be renewed. They are closed Monday, and we're supposed to have a snow storm this weekend, so I will either have to read it tomorrow and take it back Thursday (rain all day Friday) or just take it back and check it out again later.

I think the Harlan Coben novel was called Hold Tight. I enjoy his standalones, but they all seem to have the same name.

I finished Princes At War (spoiler- Princess Elizabeth becomes queen) and I was sufficiently interested in Jimmy Donahue, a friend of the Duchess of Windsor, that I looked him up in Wikipedia. He has the best occupation I've ever seen there or elsewhere- Heir.

I had reasonably good SAT scores and I graduated college and if needed I'm sure one or more of my friends would give me a glowing reference. Heir is the job of my dreams. Where do I apply?

Erin

Banned Member
I'm very proud of myself (so far) for managing to only listen to The Babysitters Club Club podcasts during my commute (therefore not wasting any additional time) and also for not rereading any of the books yet. I am really enjoying them aside from the fact that I can't get their theme song out of my head and it is driving me slowly mad. Also, I feel a bit guilty for stereotyping, but I was surprised to discover that both guys are straight. I would not have guessed that two straight guys in their early thirties would be into reading the BSC but shame on me for not being so open minded.

I definitely will have to get a couple out of the library at some point and read them, because I'm getting the impression that the books are actually better quality than I remember. I'm curious if that impression will hold when I read them myself.

Susan1

I read it in about 6 hours (with breaks) yesterday (good) and took it back today. I have 6 books to get through the nasty weekend plus.

dinakt

Am finally tearing through Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan Cycle (starting with "My Brilliant Friend") and cannot recommend it enough. Beautifully translated, easy to read recounting of Neapolitan lives in the second half of 20th century, with focus on two friends. Personal (first person narrator) and interesting. Knowing Naples a little bit makes it easier to visualize, but not necessary. I have not been so completely absorbed in a book in a while.
@oleada I really enjoyed Pachinko, as well.

clairecloutier

I just read a couple interesting biographies.

The first was Sylvia Plath in Devon: A Year's Turning. Anyone with an interest in Plath would probably enjoy this. It's a slim volume that focuses exclusively on the year that Plath lived at her Court Green home in Devon, England. It's cowritten by Elizabeth Compton Sigmund, who became good friends with Plath during that year. The book is refreshing in presenting a balanced and nonjudgmental view of Plath.

The other book I read was Prairie Fires, a new biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder. This is the best biography, by far, that I have yet read of Wilder or her daughter, Rose Wilder Lane. It is wonderful in providing a lot of historical context to her life. The author doesn't just report the events of the Ingalls' lives but looks at how they fit into the larger economic picture of life in the West. The underlying conclusion is that much of the myth that has grown up around the American West, including some perpetuated by Wilder herself, is just that--myth. I've seen some criticism that the book contains TOO much historical background--but not for me. I found it fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information