Opera Suggestions, II

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Because we're up to 34 pages on the original thread.

New Yorker music critic Alex Ross tweeted a rave for Richard Farnes' conducting in Opera North's "Ring of the Nibelungen," recorded live in 2016. It's on the BBC iPlayer (until 22 August 2017), but it's also available worldwide from this page, but with no indication for how long:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...3Cj/wagners-ring-cycle-15-hours-of-epic-opera

It's a semi-staged production with clever use of projections, and with multiple frames highlighting the singers and the orchestra. There can be different singers for the same character in different operas, like two Wotans and a third Wanderer, two Brunnhildes, etc. I've been listening more than watching, but I agree with Ross. I'll be watching more carefully, once I get to hear it through the first time.

In my next life, I want to be the timpanist.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
In my next life, I want to be the timpanist.

My dad and I recently heard a modern piece in the concert hall where the percussionist had a giant sledgehammer-type thing that he used to hit a wooden box. Now my dad wants to be that guy. :lol:

Since we were on the topic of tenor crushes in the previous thread, mine is Juan Diego Flórez. First time I saw him was in the Live in HD La Cenerentola a couple seasons ago, and I fell HARD. :swoon:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Florez was beyond adorable when he did the Live in HD "Le Comte Ory," showing up for the performance within a couple of hours after his son was born, having been up all night in the hospital.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Props for the "Rusalka" costume designer!

I was thrilled to see Matthew Polenzani as host -- the La Traviata cast must have been resting up after last night's prima, he's in from the opera after that, Idomeneo -- but, noooooooo: he cut off a dancer in mid-sentence during the intermission interview, and they never get to talk. I know they have time limits, but poor dancer :(

A contrast to Rusalka having to give up her voice to sound human.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Second intermission, and Polenzani got nice info from the choreographer and two dancers, Yoncheva spoke about La Traviata, and Polenzani made a Trump joke when interviewing Eric :swoon: Owens.

Before Act II, Gelb spoke about how they are doing a 50th New Met anniversary doc, and they showed some footage from Antony and Cleopatra with recent interview footage with Leontyne Price, who just turned 90. :wuzrobbed.

Act II is the bomb. The only thing missing is Jezibaba.

Last edited:

emason

The red ball gown with the orange overcoat! That outfit was stunning in the house. I think every woman in the audience wanted it on Tuesday night.

Tancredi in Philly last Sunday gets a solid B+. Brenda Rae and Stephanie Blythe knocked it out of the park, especially Rae. The tenor, Michele Angelini, however, was unfortunate; kindly put, he was having a really bad day. Rae, I was told, is making her Met debut in 2 years, but no one is allowed to say in what. I just hope it's not Lulu. With one exception, everyone I met and talked to was from outside of Philly: down from NY, up from Washington or Baltimore, in from the Gettysburg area, etc. About 60% said they came to hear Rae, 30% came for Blythe, and 10% came for both. I guess I need to start following Rae.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Streaming opportunities,

Not sure if this is related to the streaming issues many of us experienced last Sunday, but Bayerische Staatsoper announced that the performance of Semiramide will be available on demand this weekend, 4-5 March, I assume CET.

The live stream only worked for me for the last part of Act I through the first ten minutes of Act II, but there was some terrific singing in what I heard.

Also, they've added a new stream on Saturday, 18 March, 7pm CET*:

Kauffman in "Andrea Chenier" with his frequent Munich partner, Anja Harteros:
https://www.staatsoper.de/tv.html?no_cache=1

The link to Semiramide is not yet live on that page, as of now.

*According to Wiki, Daylight Savings Time starts in the US and Canada on 12 March, where observed, and on 26 March in Germany. Which should mean 8 hours ahead PDT and 5 hours ahead EDT.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Anyone else see La Traviata Live in HD? I enjoyed it. I've really been wanting to hear Michael Fabiano (I saw him on some TV program about Italian-Americans a while back) and he did not disappoint. GORGEOUS voice. And boy oh boy is he Italian -- looks pretty much like every male member of my family. It's kind of hard to crush on a tenor when he looks like he could be your brother. :lol:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm hoping to see the Encore. He and Yoncheva have sounded wonderful on the live broadcasts in Sirius.

Hampson has been sounding strained, but his replacement for one performance, Nelson Martinez, was splendid.

I know what you mean about Fabiano: he looks like most of the guys I grew up with :) (Who have kids who look like him.)

emason

Levine = Wonderful. Orchestra and chorus were both superb. Elettra's mad scene at the end tore the roof off the Met. Them's the highlights.

Am now starting the long subway ride home; lots of disruptions tonight, but so far no sign of snow.

Spun Silver

Oh, there is nothing like a great Elettra in Idomeneo! Thanks for the report. I'm glad you were so well rewarded for venturing out late on the eve of a blizzard. New Yorkers are crazy but wonderful that way.

SaSherka

I have been following Brenda Rae's career for a while, got to hear her live back in 2013 as Violetta and Cleopatra and have been firmly on her bandwagon ever since. I was one of the people, who traveled specifically to hear her Amenaide in Philly. :)

I am planning to be in NYC this weekend for Fidelio and Idomeneo at the Met + Matthew Rose's recital at Carnegie. Is anyone coming to any of these?

As for Boston opera scene, Boston Lyric just had an excellent run of Stravinsky's The Rake's Progress. One of the best productions and singing BLO has put together in years!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I posted that after first intermission. Her mad scene was beyond belief!

2/3 of Mozart's vocal music and accompaniment for vocal music written after "Idomeneo" seems to have its roots in "Idomeneo." Amazing.

Spun Silver

2/3 of Mozart's vocal music and accompaniment for vocal music written after "Idomeneo" seems to have its roots in "Idomeneo." Amazing.
Really? I adore Idomeneo but you really hear the speed, wit and sudden depths of Figaro in it? (For example.) Don Giovanni and Clemenza, perhaps.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
That's why I wrote 2/3. "Figaro" is the great outlier, and is, for me, the perfect opera.

Lots of "Idomeneo" in "The Magic Flute" and even some in "Cosi," along with "Clemenza" and "Don Giovanni," as well as the "Requiem."

Spun Silver

That's why I wrote 2/3. "Figaro" is the great outlier, and is, for me, the perfect opera.

Lots of "Idomeneo" in "The Magic Flute" and even some in "Cosi," along with "Clemenza" and "Don Giovanni," as well as the "Requiem."
Thought-provoking. I usually find it more interesting to focus on how unique each of his operas is, at least from Idomeneo on (minus Abduction... the minor outlier, I take it... which is seriously outclassed by the others). But I can see how a case might be made.

No argument about Figaro. Especially in the 1934-35 Glyndebourne recording. I adore Luise Helletsgruber's Cherubino. I'm afraid I am not up on the Requiem for some reason. Talk to me about the C Minor Mass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information