Olympic Channel Figure Skating Galore

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Question for those recording the dance/ladies today: is the Olympic Channel coming in pixelated for you? I noticed it was happening earlier in the day during speed skating, but only during certain camera angles (?!) so I thought it was something to do with the reception from that particular feed. But now I notice the same thing is happening with the skating broadcast, and all of my other stations have no problems.
No pixilation here. I use TiVo on FIOS and occasionally have to reboot to insure the best signal. FIOS has a nasty habit of lowering signal strength, but a reboot seems to help.

Aceon6

BTW, I had forgotten how butt ugly most of the ice dance costumes were in Salt Lake. Navka's was haute couture in comparison.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
'You notice anything interesting about Marina Anissina's surname, Tracy?"
"No. I don't."

Bahaha. Remember this vividly from the original broadcast. She was so over Tom Hammond by the end of the dance event.

A.H.Black

Question for those recording the dance/ladies today: is the Olympic Channel coming in pixelated for you? I noticed it was happening earlier in the day during speed skating, but only during certain camera angles (?!) so I thought it was something to do with the reception from that particular feed. But now I notice the same thing is happening with the skating broadcast, and all of my other stations have no problems.
Every once in a while I get a pixelation but not often and not tonight that I have noticed. Could it be the settings? Are you having any weather issues? I on a Hopper DVR with Dish.

A.H.Black

I didn't remember how much I disliked most of the Dance programs in 2002. I remember now. I agree that the costumes were terrible.

Gwendal the lion - love that he sings along and joy on his face.

BaileyCatts

Hey! Where was the twizzle sequence! :p ;) Seriously, did they do like any twizzles? I could barely catch them there were so few. I like Ice Dance so much more today than watching those dances from 2002 tonight. OMG those costumes! And really, Tom's little snit about the speech in A&P's dance .... I was :rolleyes: about his rant then and I was :rolleyes: about his rant again tonight. For the theme of the program, it fit really well.

What happened to Naomi and Peter that they didn't make it to 2006? I don't remember. :shuffle:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Everyone looked so frantic in the free dances. They must've used up all their clean edges in the CD. I know people complain about IJS, but I'll take today's programs with attempts at running edges over that hot mess I watched tonight.

TanithandBenFan

Hey! Where was the twizzle sequence! :p ;) Seriously, did they do like any twizzles? I could barely catch them there were so few. I like Ice Dance so much more today than watching those dances from 2002 tonight. OMG those costumes! And really, Tom's little snit about the speech in A&P's dance .... I was :rolleyes: about ihis rant then and I was :rolleyes: about his rant again tonight. For the theme of the program, it fit really well.

What happened to Naomi and Peter that they didn't make it to 2006? I don't remember. :shuffle:

Naomi got pregnant in 2004. Right about when they were going to be passed by Tanith and Ben. :shuffle:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
And now we get to hear Sandra say about five times that 'it was twelve years ago', (in 1981, I believe-- and it was 2002 at the time) when Midori Ito landed the first 3+3 combo.

And I reset my system and this remains the only station that is choppy. It happened another time and then just corrected itself eventually.

A.H.Black

Every once in a while I mention this in hopes that someone, somewhere, will have recordings......

In 2002 HD was very new. NBC did broadcast the Olympics in HD. There were a few people who saw them. *NBC showed ALL of the skating in HD - every performance from every skater.* I don't think there was any commentary. If anyone knows anyone who happened to record the HD programming I would be most grateful to know about it.

BaileyCatts

Wow. Having not watched any of the ladies in years, Irina was a little more sloppy than I remember, from the botched combo to the way off jump, and the whole program was just choppy and tight and uninspiring, much moreso than I remember. Sarah was the only one who skated clean and just skated lights out. Much as I didn't like it at the time, that was totally the right result.

BaileyCatts

I wonder why they didn't show it in HD on the Olympic Channel.

I think they are just replaying the tape from the night it was broadcast. Can they do that if the original event wasn't shown in HD? I have no clue how that works. I'm still watching on the same TV I was watching on that night 15 years ago. :p

BaileyCatts

Another thing I'm wondering is ... is The Olympic Channel somehow owned by NBC? I'm wondering because all of these Olympic skating replays, and the previous Olympic gymnastics replays .... each of those Olympics was broadcast on NBC. I wonder if we will ever get to see 1988 (ABC), 1994 and 1998 (CBS) since they were not broadcast on NBC? I would love to see all those skating events again.

TanithandBenFan

I think they are just replaying the tape from the night it was broadcast. Can they do that if the original event wasn't shown in HD? I have no clue how that works. I'm still watching on the same TV I was watching on that night 15 years ago. :p

@A.H.Black posted that it was originally broadcast in HD. One of the few HD programs back then!

A.H.Black

@A.H.Black posted that it was originally broadcast in HD. One of the few HD programs back then!
It was different then. The HD broadcast was separate from the main broadcast - it was only sent to the HD signal? I talked to some of the engineers afterward and I don't understand all they told me, but I know it was two separate signals. The skating was not broadcast live in HD, but they did show everything. I've only found a very few people who even remember seeing it.

It was kind of like having the triplecast in 1992 - I had that. In 2004, there was separate HD programming as well. I also had that programming. They showed more of the swimming, diving, gymnastics and track and field, though not all.

I have a feeling the signal was different in some way and that's why we don't see that programming.

Aceon6

@BaileyCatts The Olympic Channel is an NBC property under license from the IOC.

If we were going to see the ABC coverage again, it would be on one of the ESPN channels. I wouldn't hold my breath. Despite all the recent news about the frat boy culture in Bristol, they don't seem interested in anything that might get more female eyeballs.

Aceon6

Tonight's replays are the pairs and men from Torino. It starts at 7 eastern.

shuilee

Dick Button is commentating on NBC!!!! :eek: How did I totally forget that Dick commented for Torino?!

A.H.Black

Dick Button is commentating on NBC!!!! :eek: How did I totally forget that Dick commented for Torino?!
Where was Scott that year - cancer treatment? death in the family? I think I remember there was something going on. Love hearing Dick.

SpeedySucks

Where was Scott that year - cancer treatment? death in the family? I think I remember there was something going on. Love hearing Dick.

Scott was removed from the pairs competition by NBC for taking part in the FOX Skating with Celebrities show. Since Skating with Celebrities aired directly opposite the pairs competition, NBC “punished” him by not allowing him to do commentary on that event. Scott did commentary for the men’s and ladies’ events in Torino.

A.H.Black

I had forgotten what an adjustment there was to the new scoring system. I thought all the spins were slow and so much looked cumbersome - step sequences, spirals etc.

Men's are up. Yeah, more Dick.

D

Deleted member 53443

I had forgotten what an adjustment there was to the new scoring system. I thought all the spins were slow and so much looked cumbersome - step sequences, spirals etc.

Men's are up. Yeah, more Dick.

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information