OES News in 2018/2019 season

Dobre

Could someone possibly bump up or refresh my memory of the title for the obscure 4CC athletes thread? After 4CCs, it seems like there are few comments I have wanted to add but I can't remember the abbreviation for that thread title. In any case, it would be nice to post this link from the ISU's current article about Donovan Carrillo somewhere:

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...und-the-place-where-i-belong?templateParam=15

text_skate

When you're a skater from a very small fed ...
Julia Sauter has found a sponsorship for WC: A Jeweller from Kiel (city in the very north of Germany) saw her live in Minsk, and decided to sponsor her for WC.

Sauter lives and trains in Ravensburg, Southern Germany.

Last week there was an article about her in local newspaper Schwäbische: "Julia Sauter starts at Worlds instead on a cruise ship", https://www.schwaebische.de/sport/u...-auf-dem-kreuzfahrtschiff-_arid,11019539.html

It's interesting how her life as a skater differs from what it's supposed to be. She has a couple of odd jobs to support herself, studies, and manages somehow all things.

She had already signed a contract for ice shows on a cruise ship. She had also back problems (discs). Then things changed.

But suddenly the health was better again, suddenly there were strong results. "I fell in love with ice skating again," says Julia Sauter. "The sport is really fun again." This is partly because the native Weingartenerin [town next to Ravensburg] has no more health problems. On the other hand, of course, also on the recent successes. Above all, 14th place at the European Championshipsin in Minsk. "I left the two Germans behind me, so I was the best German."

She got TES minimum for Worlds in Minsk.

Marius Negrea, her coach at the ESCR, is Romanian, and had the idea, she skates for Romania.

Since she is not part of the German national squad, she is of course not sponsored by the national association. Instead of standing in the sports promotion group of the Bundeswehr, as many other German professionals do in marginal sports, Julia Sauter has a job. Better said: several. "I'm a trainer at the ESCR, have an online learning course as a non-medical practitioner, work as a supervisor in the St. Konrad School in Ravensburg and occasionally as a waitress."

The flight and hotel costs for the World Cup in Japan Sauter gets paid by the National Olympic Committee in Romania. "But only because my coach has complained to the association," says Sauter. Next year's European Championship in Graz, the World Cup in Montreal. "I currently do not know how to finance it." Although there are a few supporters, recently, for example, a jeweler from Kiel, whose earrings Sauter then carries in the competition. Or the agency of Ravensburger Florian Dietrich.

She knows that it will be extremely difficult for her at the World Cup in Japan. "15 skaters are absolutely world-class, the other 25 World Cup participants are on about the same level."

text_skate

text_skate

The Austrian press appreciates a top ten result, even a final not reached: https://sport.orf.at/stories/3046662/

Translated with DeepL

The Austrian pair-skating duo Miriam Ziegler and Severin Kiefer achieved their top ten goal at the World Championships in Saitama, Japan [...] and thus ended a long Austrian dry spell (Durststrecke).

Rank ten is the best red-white-red World Cup result in 21 years. In 1997 Julia Lautowa reached eighth place in the women's singles in Lausanne. A top-ten pairs result at world championship level is still some way back, in 1965 Gerlinde Schönbauer and Wilhelm Bietak achieved in Colorado Springs. Ziegler/Kiefer had been ranked 14th from last year as their best World Championship result so far. With 178.66 points, they now remained almost 8.5 points below their best mark, set up on 17 November 2018 at the Rostelecom Cup in Moscow.

"This World Cup placement is a great end to the season for us. We're very happy about this success, which shows us that we're on the right track," said Ziegler. Kiefer added: "After the short programme, tenth place was already within our grasp. That's why we fought from the first to the last second of our FS."

The following paragraphs are about their season, the EC next year in Graz, and Luc Maierhofer

The 16-year-old Luc Maierhofer gave another talent test in the men's SP. Although the Viennese among 35 competitors missed the qualification for the FS of the top 24 with 26th place, he placed only six positions lower than at the EC in Minsk. ... This time Maierhofer, training in Italy with coach Lorenzo Magri, was 14th in an intra-European ranking.

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
Slovenia's Daša Grm is discussed in the #TTW thread, but as a new, big fan of hers I wanted to share the link to her touching 2019 Worlds blog post with photos here - "My dreams came true": https://dasagrm.wordpress.com/2019/03/30/my-dreams-came-true/
Excerpt:
In my long skating career I always wished for one thing. Since I was little and I was watching some Championships on a TV, I was always so touched when I saw people on the kiss and cry area crying out of happiness. And I cried with them. And I always wanted to feel that way, because I love skating so much that I wanted everybody to see that and get rewarded with a nice scores for that. And guess what… That dream just came true for me here in Japan.
:)

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.

Dobre

The Estonian junior dance team of Semenjuk & Gruzdev, 16th at Junior Worlds, have apparently split. She is on IPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information