O.J. Simpson has died

Judy

But in OJ's trial, there were competing experts, with one testifying that some issues in handling the evidence effectively "contaminated" things so the results wouldn't be reliable. The jury that was seated could not really assess the competing experts because their schooling did not give them the necessary background knowledge. Now that DNA evidence is more common (and now that many schools address the issue in all science classes, even those not for college prep people) jurors are better equipped to deal with it.
When you have $$$ you can hire the best.

It’s been a very, very, very long time though since that trial though.

Cachoo

I remember two white co-workers and two black co-workers having a rather heated debate before the verdict. Later my friend (one of the black women) told me she knew good and well he was guilty but somehow this was payback for so many unjustly convicted black men. She had no love for OJ.

A short time after the verdict I saw Dave Chappelle doing stand-up on tv. He addressed the white audience members: "Stings doesn't it?" Yes Dave, it certainly stung.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I very clearly remember the bronco chase .. it was insane. My youngest sister and I were glued to the tv. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuRD3TQEoeY

I clearly remember people on the overpasses cheering him on.
I remember watching it from my hotel room in Arizona. I had arrived just a day earlier to work for Motorola. They had put me in a hotel for a month while I found a place to live. The chase felt lije a scene from a movie, but knew it was real. I didn't know much but I had heard about his wife's murder.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I remember two white co-workers and two black co-workers having a rather heated debate before the verdict. Later my friend (one of the black women) told me she knew good and well he was guilty but somehow this was payback for so many unjustly convicted black men. She had no love for OJ.

A short time after the verdict I saw Dave Chappelle doing stand-up on tv. He addressed the white audience members: "Stings doesn't it?" Yes Dave, it certainly stung.
I watched on Cnn an interesting coverage on 'Up front' by Erin Burnett and on msnbc by Joy Reid (The Reid our).

The guests (I don't remember on which of these shows) agreed that the trial was less about OJ, and more about the racial divide in our country. Seventy percent whites believed OJ was guilty. Seventy one percent blacks believed he was not. The reason the blacks cheered the verdict was that they had experienced being on the other side.

Last edited:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team

I was on campus, headed to the cafeteria, when the verdict was read and visually saw crowd celebration. I remember being stunned. Then we had a discussion about it a few days later in one of my sociology classes and it made some sense. However, I still feel celebrity, money and power were the greatest factors. The injustice to Rodney King was also a factor.

Those two events gave us 24/7 multiple news channels and reality TV. Just a fascinating time for a sociology major.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
16 years earlier, the Iranian hostage situation gave us Nightline. 9/11 gave us “breaking news” crawls along the bottom of whatever news shows we are watching even if the news is minimal. OJ was another such moment, for sure, changing the news business and how trials are covered.

There are real downsides to all of it but in some ways it’s better than just half an hour every night on three channels from old white guys telling us what to think.

I was in 4th grade- 9 years old mind you. My teacher literally wheeled in one of those carts with the TV held in place by the strap over it so that we could watch the verdict live.

What a different time it was 😂
I was in grade 5, we didn’t watch the verdict, but my teacher had it on the radio. She was an American teacher on some kind of exchange program, and was heavily invested.

Sylvia

TBD
FWIW, this popped up on my X feed (3.4 million views so far): https://x.com/mouvement33/status/1778566905881829792

ETA a reply: "This whole story is a complete fabrication and makes no sense. Why would her boss tell her something that was none of her business just because? lol. 😂 get real. Something that he would have signed an NDA for himself-if he told her he violated the NDA. What a liar."

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

vgerdes

I was in college and remember the cheering students along with silent students. I was one of the silent ones, I honestly thought he did it. I still do.

I didn't want to believe he was guilty, but the logical part of my brain was telling me he did it.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
FWIW, this popped up on my X feed (3.4 million views so far): https://x.com/mouvement33/status/1778566905881829792

ETA a reply: "This whole story is a complete fabrication and makes no sense. Why would her boss tell her something that was none of her business just because? lol. 😂 get real. Something that he would have signed an NDA for himself-if he told her he violated the NDA. What a liar."

There's a lot of amateur lawyers on that thread.....

I don't see why someone would open themselves up to that level of abuse and trolling if the story wasn't true.

LeafOnTheWind

Why wouldn't it be true? I'm sure that's a scene that played out many times in a lot of colleges everywhere for a lot of men who got off free of any consequences.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Well, and then there's this...

Makes most other conspiracy theories look tame by comparison, lol.

vgerdes

Why wouldn't it be true? I'm sure that's a scene that played out many times in a lot of colleges everywhere for a lot of men who got off free of any consequences.
Yes. I tend to believe the story is true. Athletes with the kind of ability OJ had were — and still are — often allowed to live a consequence-free life, unless/until they do something so heinous that it can no longer be covered up. And then there's the factor of OJ's charisma. He was beloved at one point in time, much like Bill Cosby was. There's a lot of power in public perception.

Lynn226

Yes. I tend to believe the story is true. Athletes with the kind of ability OJ had were — and still are — often allowed to live a consequence-free life, unless/until they do something so heinous that it can no longer be covered up. And then there's the factor of OJ's charisma. He was beloved at one point in time, much like Bill Cosby was. There's a lot of power in public perception.
I remember the way middle aged female teachers fawned over our male athletes in high school. They didn't have to win. It was gross!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information