"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I love the idea of a gold dress for Mirai's LP, but that's tempting fate a bit more than need be IMO. :scream: (The lyrics/theme already do that lol) but yeah, honestly something like Kwan's gold "Bolero" dress would be pretty fantastic to really bring the theme home. :kickass:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Mirai recently won the bronze (less than 2 points from gold) at the Lombardia Trophy, and she looks amazing.

SP (music is blocked):
https://youtu.be/DwswhMTHgNs

LP (scored 62 for PCS, just under an 8 on average)
https://youtu.be/WMu58qkjgSg

I'm so impressed with her programs/look/expression/overall fitness, she hasn't looked this good maybe ever? With another 2 months I think she's going to be very competitive in the GP, I'd love to see her make the final. :kickass:

Spun Silver

Her free program at Lombardia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBxznteX7W4

I love the whole sequence from the double axel, split jump, quick turns into long spiral ... Hope all that stays as she develops the program. It's looking like a beauty.

Is this another old dress or the "real" new one? (I was told the maroon SP dress - which i love - is old.)

I am very happy about this solid start to the season. Go, Mirai!!!

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
coachtomzSo proud that Mirai won the award for premio components in honor of the late Anna Grandolfi here at the Lombardia Trophy. This is extra special to me because Anna is the mother of my friend and colleague from Italy Rosie Grandolfi (R) pictured with her father and brother. @usfigureskating @icenetwork@isufigureskating

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKNBxKJANsq/

Anyone know a triple lutz triple loop video from Tom showing Mirai doing this in April? Maybe that is why her loop isn't being repeated in the program right now.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEb1Zv7jY_y/

Did she has an injury this summer? I saw on TSL one was mentioned?

GullyGirl84

The lutz loop combo looked good, but I'd be suprised to see them put it in the program, since loop combinations in general are kind of hard to get called as clean (plus I think the only time she didn't get an edge call on her lutz last season was at NHK). I think that she was attempting two flips in 2014, I wouldn't be surprised to see them put two loops back in instead or play around with the layout as the season goes on, depending on her consistency. I also wondered about the injury, but at least TSL said that it was a "minor" one. Actually, I follow Mirai on snapchat, and remember once over the summer, she had a picture of her getting PT on her leg (or knee? I don't remember). I hope that her new dresses are ready by the Autumn classic. The ones she wore for Lombardia were pretty, but I think they could be better suited for the programs. I'd like to see her stay with a long sleeved dress for the short.

B.Cooper

coachtomzSo proud that Mirai won the award for premio components in honor of the late Anna Grandolfi here at the Lombardia Trophy. This is extra special to me because Anna is the mother of my friend and colleague from Italy Rosie Grandolfi (R) pictured with her father and brother. @usfigureskating @icenetwork@isufigureskating

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKNBxKJANsq/

Anyone know a triple lutz triple loop video from Tom showing Mirai doing this in April? Maybe that is why her loop isn't being repeated in the program right now.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEb1Zv7jY_y/

Did she has an injury this summer? I saw on TSL one was mentioned?

Mirai, working on 3Lz-3Lp from her coach's instagram feed:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEb1Zv7jY_y/?taken-by=coachtomz

Kind of have to agree with posters above...Mirai still just not "buy" into her music. She smiles at moments within the programs, but her love of skating just does not come thru in her competitive performances at this point in her career, relative to the joyful exuberance that she had when she was younger. JMO

arakwafan2006

Mirai, working on 3Lz-3Lp from her coach's instagram feed:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEb1Zv7jY_y/?taken-by=coachtomz

Kind of have to agree with posters above...Mirai still just not "buy" into her music. She smiles at moments within the programs, but her love of skating just does not come thru in her competitive performances at this point in her career, relative to the joyful exuberance that she had when she was younger. JMO
I can see the training in her skating. She's taking a massive step working on material that is way more difficult than what she's done in the past couple years. The programs she skated last season were empty but I think easier so she could build confidence. The new ones are challenging her. Mirai's jumps will continue to improve. What she really needs help with is her performance and that is NOT Tom Z's strength. Mirai is a naturally beautiful girl with great posture, speed and beauty. Her extension is gorgeous and she's always well dressed. Mirai skates to the music and does choreography however, her mind is on the job she's doing. That's the disconnect.

Not every skater can perform the way that Ashley Wagner can. It's a different ballgame when you dont even think of the technique only drawing the crowd in. That's hard as shit. Medvedeva, though i don't like her literal choreography that is so specific to the obscure concept that I don't sometimes know what i'm watching, she is really performing her material and that i respect.

To me, Tom Z has the same hole in his camp that Igor has which is someone who is at good at bringing out the emotion in a skater and even crafting programs that someone on staff can grow over the season. I think that Mirai will show up to National's in shape and with more clean jumps but I fear that the passion in the performance will be cute... It's not bad but memorable? Thats the thing. She's IMO the one who should be at the top in the USA but Ashley has cornered the market as far as performance goes and her jumps are improving as well. Gracie is actually the wildcard after her disappointment at worlds. we shall see

mag

Mirai skates to the music and does choreography however, her mind is on the job she's doing. That's the disconnect.

I agree, in her SP Mirai does skate to the music, but that is part of the problem. With Chopin, she needs to skate with the music. It needs to become part of her from her fingertips to her toes. I suspect she is doing exactly what Jeff has told her to do, but she isn't hearing the music. Perhaps she has never been taught how or perhaps she is just so focused on the technical that she doesn't have time to work on it. Right now it is a fight from beginning to end. It is really too bad that Tom Z doesn't appear to have someone he works with who can help develop this part of his skaters.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
It's still early in the season so I'm a bit more forgiving about that, especially considering how beautiful her skating looks right now. I agree with the disconnected critique but she's done it before, with more confidence that'll improve throughout the season IMO. The programs have everything necessary.

I think the best in the business at teaching these things in skating is :DLauz1: and the team in Montreal. If Tom and Mirai could train there for a week and get input from :DLauz1: with David Wilson/Jeff Buttle also there working with Mirai on details, it would really help her (and Tom) big time this season. David/Jeff/Marie France are all great friends/respect each other's work and it would be great. They'll have a more clear view on the intent and purpose of the programs, and lots of tips on how to work on the big picture of her programs/interpretation back at home.

It's a perfect scenario for Mirai that'll probably never happen, but that would be the ideal thing for Mirai/Tom before the GP starts IMO.

Either way I'm sure it'll be addressed, she just needs to stay healthy and hit when it counts (and go into each competition trying to win it).

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

I agree, in her SP Mirai does skate to the music, but that is part of the problem. With Chopin, she needs to skate with the music. It needs to become part of her from her fingertips to her toes. I suspect she is doing exactly what Jeff has told her to do, but she isn't hearing the music. Perhaps she has never been taught how or perhaps she is just so focused on the technical that she doesn't have time to work on it. Right now it is a fight from beginning to end. It is really too bad that Tom Z doesn't appear to have someone he works with who can help develop this part of his skaters.

It's not totally his fault. Mirai needed to be able to be emotionally vulnerable long before now. If she got lost in the music and had clean jumps, she is an ideal champion.

I hope people understand that choreography is only a piece of the puzzle. She is so zoned in on the jumps she barely takes a moment to breathe.

mag

It's not totally his fault. Mirai needed to be able to be emotionally vulnerable long before now. If she got lost in the music and had clean jumps, she is an ideal champion.

I hope people understand that choreography is only a piece of the puzzle. She is so zoned in on the jumps she barely takes a moment to breathe.

I completely agree it is not totally Tom Z's fault. The earlier kids learn to listen and move to music, the better (really like any other muscle training.) At this point Mirai's best bet is to work on the performance aspect the way Ashley has. Not that she has to perform the same kind of programs as Ashley, just that she needs to work with someone to get a similar level of performance. In figure skating that, along with clean jumps, will take her far.

Sylvia

TBD
It is really too bad that Tom Z doesn't appear to have someone he works with who can help develop this part of his skaters.
Drew Meekins works on the PCS side with many of Zakrajsek's skaters but I don't know if he has worked with Nagasu.

Her next Challenger Series competition is Autumn Classic International, Sept. 29-Oct. 1 in Pierrefonds (Montreal), Quebec.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
From Autumn Classifc International Short Progam Thread

Mirai NAGASU USA
Triple Flip/Triple Toe Clean
Huge Triple Loop
Nice Double Axel

Flying camel scared me because it kind of started awkwardly
She took her time more with the music and tried to perform Im happy.

73.40 YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS Tom literally looked like Tara Lipinski at the Olympics The planel took like no time reviewing the elements. They didn't even finish showing the program highlights and the announcer said the score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information