NHK Trophy 2023 - Streams, Broadcasts, Archives etc.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
At the gala just now, Mark said that Ted will be next week's commentator.
Why do we have to have commentatory at all? People who want commentary can get it from a number of sources but those of us who want our feeds commentary free now have no choice.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Why do we have to have commentatory at all? People who want commentary can get it from a number of sources but those of us who want our feeds commentary free now have no choice.
The commentary is on the ISU YouTube channel - it is the choice of other broadcasters, like CBC or Peacock, to use it or not. What "other sources" would people go to for commentary if they wished to have it and the ISU didn't provide it? I take it your complaint is about what Peacock has been doing?

Last edited:

Skate Talker

Apparently this year there has always been a non-commentary Eurosport stream or broadcast available some place. Sorry don't know any other details, but I have seen some videos.

@skatingguy - I didn't realize that there was actually a very good reason for ISU needing the commentators to speak during the skating and not just before and after. So this explains why Ted Barton mentioned he had to talk when he never used to. If this is what's bringing the ability to watch archived skating then I'm all for it and will no longer find it as annoying of an interruption. Imho neither Mark Hanretty nor Ted Barton chatter excessively while the skaters are doing their thing and usually have something half decent to say. I can still managed to tune them out and get lost in the performance when skaters are really weaving a spell.

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Well, Ted at least doesn't speak during performances, which is as close to a silent broadcast as possible. I like Mark's commentary the most, but I wish he had Ted's restraint and didn't talk at all during the actual skates (though he's still pretty sparing with his commentary compared to most others and I appreciate that).

skatingguy

decently
Well, Ted at least doesn't speak during performances, which is as close to a silent broadcast as possible. I like Mark's commentary the most, but I wish he had Ted's restraint and didn't talk at all during the actual skates (though he's still pretty sparing with his commentary compared to most others and I appreciate that).
Something about the Junior Grand Prix - maybe because there are no broadcast rights for those events - allows the commentators not talk during the skating, whereas during the Senior Grand Prix, and ISU Championships the commentators have been instructed to talk over the performance.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I totally disagree, I enjoy a little commentary and Mark adds to the excitement for me. I’m so glad he isn’t radio silence like Ted.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I totally disagree, I enjoy a little commentary and Mark adds to the excitement for me. I’m so glad he isn’t radio silence like Ted.
Mark reacts to every element- “Oh, that’s a shame!” is his usual comment after every fall or other faulty landing. He won’t keep his mouth shut. At least he’s not obnoxious like Ashley, with out-of-left-field comments, relating skaters to her own experiences.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Mark reacts to every element- “Oh, that’s a shame!” is his usual comment after every fall or other faulty landing. He won’t keep his mouth shut. At least he’s not obnoxious like Ashley, with out-of-left-field comments, relating skaters to her own experiences.
No, Mark doesn't react to every element. You are exaggerating - but that's to be expected from someone who would prefer no commentary at all for skaters who only skate to classical music that does not contain lyrics.

Frau Muller

No, Mark doesn't react to every element. You are exaggerating - but that's to be expected from someone who would prefer no commentary at all for skaters who only skate to classical music that does not contain lyrics.
No. You are wrong. I’d be a millionaire if zi had $1 for every “Oh, that’s a shame.” You’re the exaggerator par excellence, hon.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
No. You are wrong. I’d be a millionaire if zi had $1 for every “Oh, that’s a shame.” You’re the exaggerator par excellence, hon.
Sweets, you know I've got a lot of time in my hands. Don't tempt me with the highly satisfying task of proving you wrong.

You b*tch about commentary on the feed in each and every GP pbp thread. And shall we use the FSU search function to find how often you complain about any program music selections that are NOT classical music? Even that isn't enough for you sometimes if the skater has not chosen an acceptable arrangement of said classical music. (Now, that last sentence might be an exaggeration, but it's not far off from the truth.)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
As much as I want a commentary-free stream, to say that Mark comments on every element is simply not true. His commentary during the actual program is sparse. He saves most of it to fill in the time between the skate ending and the scores being announced.

Let's get Frau Muller to bet us a million dollars on this because it's a sucker bet. :lol: Even commentators like Scott Hamilton don't comment on every element, after all.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I hate commentary more than anyone but I really haven't been bothered by Mark. He's not obtrusive. I am thankful when there is only one commentator because mostly individuals don't chit-chat with themselves.

Whatever the reason for our having Mark, I'm going with keeping the copyright infringement takedowns at bay because I like that idea.

Frau Muller

As much as I want a commentary-free stream, to say that Mark comments on every element is simply not true. His commentary during the actual program is sparse. He saves most of it to fill in the time between the skate ending and the scores being announced.

Let's get Frau Muller to bet us a million dollars on this because it's a sucker bet. :lol: Even commentators like Scott Hamilton don't comment on every element, after all.
I was thinking about the Espoo women’s finals. I’d swallow and Mark uttered “Oh, that’s too bad.” This was just this past weekend, so it’s #1 on my list.

The wonder is that I could see Espoo. Alas, I’ll be processing US asylum seekers in Alexandria next weekend & my hotel doesn’t have the wifi that I had in Cairo. Sorry to be missing NHK.

SkateFanBerlin

I`m no expert but I think Mark commented more like US commentaors before working with Ted in juniors. Don`t mind critical remarks when constructive. I was watching 1995 Euros and commentators imitated Dick B. Rough and ready.

sk8fan2

I'm a fan of Ted Barton and his minimal comments during the performance and constructive comments following the performances. Now that Wesley Chiu is going, do we know if or who is being dropped?

skatingguy

decently
I'm a fan of Ted Barton and his minimal comments during the performance and constructive comments following the performances. Now that Wesley Chiu is going, do we know if or who is being dropped?
Wesley Chiu was given the entry that was originally assigned to Daniel Grassl.

Skate Talker

Lacey

Did anyone post that NHK is on US television today:

Sunday November 26th from 3:00-6:00pm on NBC Network

Think it's all four events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information