News and updates à la Française, part trois

Orm Irian

Sorry to double post, but thought I should add that Laurine won the Cup of Tyrol 2019 last night, coming back from 5th place in the SP to win the FS and take the gold - and try out her 3Lz3T in competition for the first time in a couple of years! :cheer2:

sharsk8s

Does anyone know why the russian junior girl (Kuzmenko?) represents france? I know in pairs/dance usually at least one of the partners are french but she is a singles skater and was born and lives in Russia so what makes her eligible to represent france?

Orm Irian

Does anyone know why the russian junior girl (Kuzmenko?) represents france? I know in pairs/dance usually at least one of the partners are french but she is a singles skater and was born and lives in Russia so what makes her eligible to represent france?

Presumably, she applied to join the French team and was accepted? And may have already started working toward French citizenship?

It looks like Maia Mazarra who used to skate for Switzerland is also in the process of transferring to the French team (hasn't skated for Switzerland internationally since her JGP event at the start of the season, did her final Swiss-cup event 'outside of competition' so that her score wouldn't be recorded as eligible for Swiss Senior Nationals, competed at both Senior and Junior French Nationals as a guest), but she was born in France according to her ISU biography and could possibly have French citizenship already. She was one of Jean-Francois Ballester's students IIRC.

sharsk8s

Presumably, she applied to join the French team and was accepted? And may have already started working toward French citizenship?

It looks like Maia Mazarra who used to skate for Switzerland is also in the process of transferring to the French team (hasn't skated for Switzerland internationally since her JGP event at the start of the season, did her final Swiss-cup event 'outside of competition' so that her score wouldn't be recorded as eligible for Swiss Senior Nationals, competed at both Senior and Junior French Nationals as a guest), but she was born in France according to her ISU biography and could possibly have French citizenship already. She was one of Jean-Francois Ballester's students IIRC.

It makes sense for her (Mazarra) to join team france because she was born there and I am assuming her parents must either be from their/lived their for some time. I don't really understand how someone could represent a country they have no correlation with, especially if they don't have a citizenship at the time. It's not like I can wake up tomorrow and skate for germany if I am not german or lived there for sometime. We don't know the whole situation with why Kuzmenko represents France (other than the fact that they need more ladies) so maybe there is something I am missing.

Last edited:

kirkbiggestfan

It makes sense for her (Mazarra) to join team france because she was born their and I am assuming her parents must either be from their/lived their for some time. I don't really understand how someone could represent a country they have no correlation with, especially if they don't have a citizenship at the time. It's not like I can wake up tomorrow and skate for germany if I am not german or lived their for sometime. We don't know the whole situation with why Kuzmenko represents France (other than the fact that they need more ladies) so maybe there is something I am missing.
Kuzmenko has a French choreographer: Romain Gazave. That should be enough to represent France. ;) I don't think that she has ever represented Russia internationally. That is usually the biggest hurdle when you are trying to switch countries. It would interesting to hear her story.
Now, I want Pogo to hire a French choreographer.

nimi

MBM also skated probably the best she's skated this season at the Universiade and finished 4th (the podium being Mihara, Tursy and Konstantinova). Ending the season on a high note!

SP: https://youtu.be/PrRHuMy_eV4
FS: https://youtu.be/JXZGCx5JYzk

And shout out to Adam getting the 2 spots back for French guys at the Jr Worlds yesterday! He placed 6th and I think his placement also means that France will get 1 entry in every JGP event next season. (I mean, provided that the Fed bothers to actually send skaters to all those events, you never know...)

Adam's FS: https://youtu.be/kLzuHL2rQ8I

Orm Irian

Laurine didn't have her best day on the ice today, but she did well enough to qualify for the free skate where other skaters crumpled (poor Kailani, it was not her day!).

Vanessa and Morgan have a comeback fight on their hands, but if there was ever a team good at those, it's them, and if there was ever a good program to do it with, it's their free skate.

Sylvia

TBD
Results from 2019 Europeans:
Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron - GOLD
Marie-Jade Lauriault & Romain Le Gac - 10th
Adelina Galyavieva & Louis Thauron - 12th (first season together)
Vanessa James & Morgan Cipres - GOLD
Kevin Aymoz - 4th
Adam Siao Him Fa - 12th (debut)
Laurine Lecavelier - 5th
Mae Berenice Meite - 7th

Results from 2019 Junior Worlds:
Adam Siao Him Fa - 6th
Anna Kuzmenko - 15th
Dance:
Loicia Demougeot & Theo le Mercier - 8th
Evgeniia Lopareva & Geoffrey Brissaud - 10th
Pair: Cleo Hamon & Denys Strekalin - 9th

Results from 2019 Worlds:
Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron - GOLD
Marie-Jade Lauriault & Romain Le Gac - 14th
Vanessa James & Morgan Cipres - 5th
Kevin Aymoz - 11th
Laurine Lecavelier - 15th

Team France for World Team Trophy (April 10-14, 2019):
Team Captain: Morgan CIPRES

Kevin AYMOZ
Adam SIAO HIM FA
Laurine LECAVELIER
Mae Berenice MEITE
Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES
Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
ISU interview featuring Kevin Aymoz: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...5-let-s-meet-kevin-aymoz-fra?templateParam=15
Excerpt:
However, the new season will come soon and Aymoz already has started to think about it. “I haven't discussed yet my goals with my coaches and the Federation, but I know that I personally want to be on the podium in one of my Grand Prix events and top five in both, so move up a bit and to be on the podium at Europeans,” he shared. “I will try to get into the last warm up group for the free skating at the World Championships. This was my goal for this season - make it to the penultimate group this time and now get into the last one is the new goal,” he added. Technically, he hopes to add the quad Salchow to his arsenal. “The Salchow I've landed in training, but I was not ready yet mentally to do it in competition. Salchow and toe are planned next year, maybe we'll do two in the short, if I'm really ready for it, but for sure two in the long,” the skater said.
Kevin sees his strength in his creativity. “My strength is that I really like to create things, create new and different things, listen to the music, the artistry. The second mark is for sure my strength, but I still have to improve a lot on my body lines, the legs, I can listen better to the music, can be more precise with the music.

Sylvia

TBD
Maé Bérénice Méité article published before the start of World Team Trophy: http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=articles&id=2019meite
When asked where she finds motivation to keep on going when the technical level of figure skating has risen dramatically over the last couple of seasons, Maé Bérénice maintains that it is not about the age, but about goals one sets for themselves.

"I know that I have not done everything I could. I have goals and I am not a quitter. I will not lie, sometimes I do want to quit and focus on my studies. But I will not be able to do so until I feel that I have accomplished something for myself, for the country and for everybody who supports me. I learned to never give up on my dreams. And dreams are meant to be crazy, so I am crazy and I try."

Orm Irian

Fourth place for Team France at the WTT - well done! Vanessa and Morgan really closed out their season in fine style with that killer performance of Wicked Games and Mae, as usual, slayed. Slew. Whatever, she's too good for grammar. Laurine was hampered by a collision in the warmup and it seems she might have picked up an injury in the fall early in the program, too, but she fought hard and as always gave a gorgeous performance. Fingers crossed they all come back strong for next season. :cheer2:

nimi

Absolute Skating continued the French theme with an interview with Kevin Aymoz.
Kévin telling us he has a love/hate relationship with EVERY jump is very Kévin!
Do you have any favourite jump or element?
No, because I feel that I love every jump and I hate every jump at the same time. The loop can be my favourite jump but then I miss it and I'm like: "I hate loop, I don't want to jump loop!"

Congrats to all of Team France for the fourth place finish here! I don't know how much prize money that is, but it must be a significant amount and help quite a bit with the training expenses heading into next season. I really hope they all get a chance to have a nice little vacation and relax after this, though. They've well and truly earned it after a long and grueling season!

MsZem

I see the sea
Congrats to all of Team France for the fourth place finish here! I don't know how much prize money that is, but it must be a significant amount and help quite a bit with the training expenses heading into next season.
The total prize money is $1 million. The winning team gets $200,000, then 170,000 for 2nd place and a dropoff of 10,000 at a time in descending order of placement.

It's not bad, and certainly nice for skaters who aren't competitive for top placements at GPs/ISU Championships.

Sylvia

TBD

Orm Irian

@oleada just posted in the Pairs discussion thread that Cleo Hamon/Denys Strekalin are moving to Florida to train with Zimmerman and Fontana, who are gathering up quite the French contingent! Their new free skate will be choreographed by Fabian Bourzat.

Enchanted

Is Meite still coached by them? Based on her Instagram, I got the impression she was training in France before the WTT.

Orm Irian

Is Meite still coached by them? Based on her Instagram, I got the impression she was training in France before the WTT.

I haven't heard anything about her switching. And I follow her Instagram too and didn't pick up any sense that she'd gone back to France before WTT, at least not that I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information