new skating commentary youtube channel

aftershocks

Banned Member
LOL The school principal was the emcee. She told the audience, that she sang "Big Spender" as a child as well and how the song brought back memories of her youth.

Uh, okay. Hopefully they were happy memories and not exploitative ones... :drama: Seemingly a lot of people are blithely ignorant of what the lyrics are actually referencing. But it's a catchy tune, and yeah it's no surprise that our culture is so blatantly okey dokey about stuff that hints even slightly at misogyny and women being fit for nothing more than having their bodies exploited for the pleasure of others, usually men.

Maybe it's rather harmless as songs go, but some of the lyrics are eye-rolling when being acted out by a prepubescent teenager. I'm not that familiar with the musical, Sweet Charity, from which the song originates. I think it's a good thing though to be more aware of the meaning behind song lyrics, and more attuned to various cultural assumptions that abound, etc.

In the case of Trusova, I suppose an excuse can be made about her team not understanding the lyrics both culturally and in terms of language differences, perhaps. But that's being generous. There's absolutely no excuse for the poor taste of Tarasova/Morosov's horrid fp to Candyman. It's just tacky and not a good program either in concept, choreo, music or costume. And then hearing the lyrics in conjunction with some of the moves is just cringe-worthy and annoying. But the judges have kept rewarding T/M and they've stubbornly kept the program. #THUMBSDOWN

VGThuy

In the musical/film Charity and the other girls were "taxi dancers" to avoid saying "prostitute" I guess. It's loosely based on the Fellini film, Nights of Cabiria, one of the best films I've seen where the main character was explicitly a prostitute. From the clips I've seen, Gwen Verdon was sensational as the the title character on Broadway as the role was tailor-made for her by Bob Fosse, Neil Simon, Cy Coleman, and Dorothy Fields.

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
I took a peek at the clip.
OMG - we sang the song, "Rhythm of Life" from Sweet Charity in 6th grade. I loved that song.
So my former choir director must have had an obsession with that show.

Sweet Charity - it's pretty much about what you think it's about - it's also a very iconic film with lots scenes that people don't even realize were in this particular movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_0CRfLAkI8

jersey1302

Well that video sure toon off LOL. Stirred the pot a bit.. the Olympic prediction show is now up too!

jersey1302

So I had a ton of trouble with our SCI video.. we recorded just over an hour and apparently 19 min saved..dont ask. I have zero idea. We havn't had time to re do it so we did it today with the GP Helsinki video and combined it together. So that will be up in about an hour or so! Heres the link to our channel in the meantime to watch some other videos and you will see the new one when its published! Thanks everyone !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjggTEdY8V18Jf04olF97Ww/videos

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information