Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I finished watching 'Away' about a fictional mission to Mars. I enjoyed it, but I hope the real NASA doesn't pick its astronauts using whatever method they used in the series. :lol:

I need to go and re-watch 'The Martian' now, for a better Mars story.

annie720

For fans of Shtisel, Season 3 premieres on Netflix on March 25! :)

Last edited:
We’ve watched Raya and the Last Dragon three times in the last two days when we realized one of the people that we share a Disney account with had paid for it. My kids obviously like it, though a lot goes over their heads, but I really enjoyed it too. It’s beautiful to look at, and there’s some really fun characters. It’s everything you want from a Disney movie if you don’t need it to be a musical, or care if there’s a love story.

manhn

We’ve watched Raya and the Last Dragon three times in the last two days when we realized one of the people that we share a Disney account with had paid for it. My kids obviously like it, though a lot goes over their heads, but I really enjoyed it too. It’s beautiful to look at, and there’s some really fun characters. It’s everything you want from a Disney movie if you don’t need it to be a musical, or care if there’s a love story.
My nephew has been rewatching and rewatching Monsters Inc. and some cartoon about a dead father and a brother that shrinks. I think there's a sword. Name anyone? I never pay attention.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
:lol: maybe I was misled about it? What my friend said about it, and I quote, "Veronica Mars is by no means award winning nor does it have great plot lines. But I still enjoyed watching it." Now, after watching two episodes, I agree that some of it is dark, but it is so cheesy that I can't take it too seriously.
:eek: :fragile:

I wonder if the distance of time erases what seemed so revolutionary about that show at the time.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
So I randomly hit Marriage or Mortgage on Netflix. Seven minutes into episode two and I quit. It just seems like a no brainer that if you have $35 000 spend it on a house and not a wedding. Of course they picked the wedding and I just can't with such stupidity:lol: Buy the house, throw a housewarming/wedding in one in your new home, throw some meat on the BBQ with potato salad to feed the masses and call it a day.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
So I randomly hit Marriage or Mortgage on Netflix. Seven minutes into episode two and I quit. It just seems like a no brainer that if you have $35 000 spend it on a house and not a wedding. Of course they picked the wedding and I just can't with such stupidity:lol: Buy the house, throw a housewarming/wedding in one in your new home, throw some meat on the BBQ with potato salad to feed the masses and call it a day.
My sister was given the same option. Well, she was given either 25K or 30K to do as she wished. Car, house downpayment, elope to Reno, wedding of her dreams, whatever. She chose to spend it all on a wedding, and even spent more than she was given. And her wedding wasn't even all that. It was shocking how little all that money was spent on. I am the complete opposite obviously. Married by a JP with only two witnesses present. Still haven't thought what to do with that money except just pay bills. But still, I think it is outrageous how much people spend on weddings. I'm too superstitious. Imagine spending tens of thousands on a huge bash and you end up splitting up a few years later? What a waste. And how embarrassing.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
My sister was given the same option. Well, she was given either 25K or 30K to do as she wished. Car, house downpayment, elope to Reno, wedding of her dreams, whatever. She chose to spend it all on a wedding, and even spent more than she was given. And her wedding wasn't even all that. It was shocking how little all that money was spent on. I am the complete opposite obviously. Married by a JP with only two witnesses present. Still haven't thought what to do with that money except just pay bills. But still, I think it is outrageous how much people spend on weddings. I'm too superstitious. Imagine spending tens of thousands on a huge bash and you end up splitting up a few years later? What a waste. And how embarrassing.
I personally know two people who went through with their weddings ignoring their instinct to pull the plug because of all the effort and money that was put into them. I much prefer something more intimate with the people you are actually close to in a relaxed atmosphere where people are just enjoying each others company versus fretting over having an open bar or not and how many distant relatives or friends of your parents you have to invite. I honestly find most of the more traditional formal weddings boring and a chore to attend. I am also just realizing I am probably not the best guest to invite as well as of all the weddings I attended only two of them are still married :lol:

manhn

How much is a regular wedding (none of this backyard BBQ stuff) cost? A reception at a Chinese Restaurant with 200 people seems like a lot of money (and not all that extravagent, IMO). I might as well take the gift and use it towards the wedding and the money I would have used for the wedding can go towards the house. I guess it depends on whether you get married or buy a home first.

And depending on where you live, $35K is not a lot of money. It will certainly help, but that won't really help you get that DREAM HOUSE.

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
For us it would have made no sense to take a dream home as we were living in a place (for our work) where we knew we didn't want to stay longer than 3 years and the housing market sucked.

We had no idea, at the time, that we would move where we are now within 2 years and stay for life. :lol:

So the decision depends a lot on your living situation and future plans.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
How much is a regular wedding (none of this backyard BBQ stuff) cost?
I had a wedding in a church and reception in a hotel with a sitdown dinner for about 70 people with a DJ, not a band, and no open bar. In today's dollars, it would have cost around $16,000. I don't remember if that included the Honeymoon or not. Probably not.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
How much is a regular wedding (none of this backyard BBQ stuff) cost?
Obviously this may differ from country to country and may be out of date, but in Ireland I believe the AVERAGE pre-YKW wedding costs €30,000.

Cachoo

Did the collective “we” know about “Zero Chill” on Netflix? It was new to me.

clairecloutier

We've been watching Raised by Wolves on HBO Max, about a post-apocalyptic reality on another planet where humans and androids are both struggling for survival. I don't know what the critical reviews were like for this show, but all I can say is I've found it quite gripping. If you don't enjoy sci-fi, you probably won't like the show. But if you do, it's definitely worth checking out. One more episode left & I'm already looking forward to season 2!

Jimena

We've been watching Raised by Wolves on HBO Max, about a post-apocalyptic reality on another planet where humans and androids are both struggling for survival. I don't know what the critical reviews were like for this show, but all I can say is I've found it quite gripping. If you don't enjoy sci-fi, you probably won't like the show. But if you do, it's definitely worth checking out. One more episode left & I'm already looking forward to season 2!
I tried watching it and it has all the elements that I typically enjoy in sci-fi. But I didn't like it that much and the main child actor bothered me so much that I stopped watching it.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
This is how bad my Covid Brain Fog was last year: I was searching through Netflix and saw a tv series with Renee Zellweger, so I obviously selected it since she's one of my favorite actresses. By the 6th episode I was thinking "Isn't he going to paint on the dining room wall or something?". In other words, I had already seen it, and had barely any recollection of it. Then I watched another series, which I also totally forgot I had watched. And then ANOTHER. I was like YIKES what's going on here?

skateycat

One of Nature's Non-Spinners
I spent last evening on Hulu going back 45 years and watching "The Last Waltz" and the newer documentary on The Band. Can't decide if it made me feel young or old, but that's such an awesome concert video and it definitely made me feel something.
Was it Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and the Band? If so, that was the last movie I saw in a theater.

And have you seen Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked the World? That one has Robbie Robertson too.

skateycat

One of Nature's Non-Spinners
Mr Skateycat and I watched Letterkenny a second time through - all nine seasons. Plus all the Letterkenny Problems YouTube series that started it all. Plus Littlekenny - the animated series. Plus if public performances ever become a thing again my family and I will travel to go to a Letterkenny Live show.

Now we're watching Corner Gas, which someone in the Letterkenny cast mentioned as a show that inspires their show.

centerstage01

Mr Skateycat and I watched Letterkenny a second time through - all nine seasons. Plus all the Letterkenny Problems YouTube series that started it all. Plus Littlekenny - the animated series. Plus if public performances ever become a thing again my family and I will travel to go to a Letterkenny Live show.
I can't hear the words "to be fair" without internally singing, "To be faaaaaaaaaiiiir". That and "How are you, now?" "Good, and you?" "Not so bad." :lol::lol::lol:

LeafOnTheWind

I watched American Animals on Amazon Prime about an art heist at Transylvania University. It's a combination of reenactment and interviews with the real thieves. The end got a little overdramatic but it was an interesting story. Not the brightest of criminals but definitely entitled and selfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information