NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

Barbara Manatee

Is anyone watching Sports Gold on Firefox? It worked beautifully all season but now I can't get live events or replays to stream. So far their tech support is slow and unhelpful.

annie720

Is anyone watching Sports Gold on Firefox? It worked beautifully all season but now I can't get live events or replays to stream. So far their tech support is slow and unhelpful.

Hope it starting working for you. It worked fine for me last night and this morning. Both live and replay. On Firefox.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
FWIW, I had lots of trouble last night and this morning. I ended up logging out of Gold then rebooting my router. It might have been a Verizon FIOS issue, but getting a refreshed IP address via the router reboot seems to have cured it.

Lizziebeth

FWIW, I had lots of trouble last night and this morning. I ended up logging out of Gold then rebooting my router. It might have been a Verizon FIOS issue, but getting a refreshed IP address via the router reboot seems to have cured it.
I never got it working yesterday or today. Will reboot my router later today and see if that helps. Fortunately I could watch on the Russian feed so I did not miss anything :)

Spun Silver

I had to remove the app and reinstall it , per the Help directions, along with the usual thing of having to sign in on their full Safari site. Oh, and change my PW twice. Yes, it was acting up last night but once I finally got in all was reasonably smooth.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Plays fine on my Android tablets, but will not work now on my laptop. I cleared the cache, logged out and back in and made sure Adobe flash was updated. It's worked all season, but now, it's the death spin. Oh, well. I'll worry about it in the fall. The tablet feed is fine.

maureenfarone

I find all of this so confusing. This is what it says for NBC Sports live: A: Adobe® Flash® Player is a cross-platform, browser plugin that provides uncompromised viewing of applications, content, and videos across browsers and operating systems, such as the content you will view on NBCSports.com/Live.

In the FAQs for Gold is this: Update Flash. Our video content is streamed through Adobe® Flash® player

Thank goodness I can watch this on my Roku so I don't have to deal with all the flash stuff.

Barbara Manatee

Yeah, I'm confused too. It worked beautifully all season but sometime after Nationals it quit, and none of the fixes work. Tech support doesn't have a clue (or a care).

aemeraldrainc

I tried to see if I could go ahead and buy the season pass for this year but it says it’s coming soon. Does anyone have any inside info on when it will go on sale?

aemeraldrainc

Also, does anyone have a samsung tv they used to watch? Or is it not supported? I don’t think Samsung was supported last year but maybe this year it will be.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Heads up on NBC Sports Gold - I have the PGA Tour Live subscription through Gold and it hasn't worked on my TCL TV built-in Roku since early July. Nothing on the NBC Sports app works. I called and it is a known issue, but they have no time frame for fixing it. Said it could be another month or a few days. So, if you have a TCL TV with Roku you may want to check with Gold support if the issue is fixed before purchasing the skating pass. I'm gonna be really ticked if they don't fix this before the skating season. They're supposedly giving me a refund for the PGA Tour pass but we'll see.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I just received the email from NBC Sports Gold notifying me that the figure skating seasons pass is now available. I know there will be no discount for me, but it doesn't matter. I'll be purchasing the pass around the first of September. It will be a birthday present to myself.

@TanithandBenFan, the NBC Sports app works fine on my laptop. I've been able to watch volleyball, gymnastics and football which is on NBC. I'm thankful I can see it on the app since I still don't have my local NBC station. I'm hoping that DirecTV will be able to work things out with Nexstar at least by the end of August before the Grand Prix begins so I can watch on my Vizio TV.

I also had to change to a cheaper package since DirecTV went up on the prices. I couldn't afford 101 dollars per month in order to have NBCSN and the Olympic Channel. That's another reason I'm purchasing NBC Sports Gold since it's only a one time payment of 59.99. I can afford that, and it will be worth it to me.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
@TanithandBenFan, the NBC Sports app works fine on my laptop. I've been able to watch volleyball, gymnastics and football which is on NBC. I'm thankful I can see it on the app since I still don't have my local NBC station. I'm hoping that DirecTV will be able to work things out with Nexstar at least by the end of August before the Grand Prix begins so I can watch on my Vizio TV.

Yeah, NBC Sports works fine on my laptop, phone and tablet. It just doesn't work on my TV. Being able to watch on my big TV was the biggest plus of NBC Sports Gold, though, so I wanted to let anyone know that watches primarily on a TCL Roku (not sure about regular Roku) that as of right now it's not an option.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Yeah, NBC Sports works fine on my laptop, phone and tablet. It just doesn't work on my TV. Being able to watch on my big TV was the biggest plus of NBC Sports Gold, though, so I wanted to let anyone know that watches primarily on a TCL Roku (not sure about regular Roku) that as of right now it's not an option.

Amen to that. I can definitely understand you wanting to watch on your big TV. This is also why I'm frustrated with DirecTV. I never dreamed that I wouldn't have my local NBC channel, and I've had DirecTV since 2005. :shuffle:

sk9tingfan

Amen to that. I can definitely understand you wanting to watch on your big TV. This is also why I'm frustrated with DirecTV. I never dreamed that I wouldn't have my local NBC channel, and I've had DirecTV since 2005. :shuffle:
Just got an email from NBC Sports Gold indicating that they will extend a $10 discount to active FOFS members!

sk9tingfan

Just heard back from NBC Sports Gold. Unfortunately no discounts are available. :(

Just got an email from NBC Sports Gold indicating that they will extend a $10 discount to active FOFS members! Someone at NBC Sports Gold must have asked the question of US Figure Skating. :)

Lizziebeth

Last year, NBC sports gold worked just fine on my computer until the last month or so of the season. Then it just quit launching - got the spinning thing. Why would that be? I did not change anything. It was hopeless to get anyone at the site for technical help.

Just glad for the feed on JGP events so I don't have to deal with it for a while.

Barbara Manatee

Last year, NBC sports gold worked just fine on my computer until the last month or so of the season. Then it just quit launching - got the spinning thing. Why would that be? I did not change anything. It was hopeless to get anyone at the site for technical help.

That happened to me as well. I did talk to tech support several times and tried every suggestion they offered with no success. Then a few months after I gave up trying to fix it, it started working again. :huh: It appears the app is very sensitive to browser/system updates and there's not much you can do about that except complain and wait it out.

Lizziebeth

That happened to me as well. I did talk to tech support several times and tried every suggestion they offered with no success. Then a few months after I gave up trying to fix it, it started working again. :huh: It appears the app is very sensitive to browser/system updates and there's not much you can do about that except complain and wait it out.
Thanks. Browser updates sometimes mess up other stuff too!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I only had the spinning issue on one comp late in the season. When you figure the amount each comp costs to view, this is a real bargain. I purchase it and I pay for the Finlandia feed (always high quality). I will also pay TVTEKA to watch Russian Nationals. I get to see pretty much every skating comp I want to watch for less than $100. That doesn't even cover the cost of food for attending a domestic event, much less see skating around the world.

vireo

Heads up on NBC Sports Gold ...- I have the PGA Tour Live subscription through Gold and it hasn't worked on my TCL TV built-in Roku since early July. Nothing on the NBC Sports app works.

I have two TCL TVs with Roku and the Sports Gold skating pass is working on both of them. Both worked fine through last season, but in late spring neither TV would fully populate the list of competitions. I would get only the last one or two comps, rather than the whole season. After signing onto my Sports Gold skating pass online, the newer TV started listing all the competitions again, but the older one never did. Sadly for me, the older TCL is my personal telly that I don't have to share.

Flash forward to last week, and suddenly the older TV now is listing all the competitions from last season as well. It sometimes takes two or three attempts, but it's been like Christmas to have last season's major comps available again.

I hope NBC gets the bugs out of their sports apps. The quality of their streams is excellent. Just wish they were not so temperamental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information