NBC Network Olympics Coverage

A.H.Black

OK -- I signed up for youtube tv, which has broadcast NBC and NBCSN among other channels. It says I need chromecast to display it on my TV. We have a (new) 4K tv, so it looks like we need a Chromecast Ultra for that. Do I need anything else? (I do not have cable; sadly comcast wanted a 1 year contract, so must choose a different option.)

Oh, barbk, you are wonderful. I don't know what you need to set it up, but please record the figure skating special programming. Do you know about the special programming for just 4K?

I started a thread about it here - https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/who-has-a-4k-tv.103188/

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Oh, barbk, you are wonderful. I don't know what you need to set it up, but please record the figure skating special programming. Do you know about the special programming for just 4K?

I started a thread about it here - https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/who-has-a-4k-tv.103188/

I have a 4k TV, but from what I've read many of us with 4k TVs won't have access to the 4k coverage. My cable provider currently doesn't offer a box that can show 4k content. I've read that is the case with many providers. I'm still crossing fingers it will be streamable through the NBC Sports app.

Karina1974

I just changed up my cable because Spectrum is doing a digital upgrade sweep in my area, and they don't recognize my old TWC channel lineup (Starter TV bundled w/WiFi, giving me the Standard TV lineup).

So... I now have NBCSN, and I was watching replays of Europeans on the Roku channel over the weekend. Wish I also had the Oly channel, but I'm not shelling out the $$$ for the tier that has it.

A.H.Black

For those with DISH, the channel changed today to 147 - just in case you tried 389 and it didn't come on. I don't know if this is just for the duration of the Olympics or if it's permanent. I surmise it is temporary.

Jammers

Only NBC in the middle of a competition could bring in some guy to talk politics and completely ignore the Israeli skater who was one of the best things about last nights skating. Even showing skating for the first time live at the Olympics NBC still found a way to **** things up. :angryfire

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Only NBC in the middle of a competition could bring in some guy to talk politics and completely ignore the Israeli skater who was one of the best things about last nights skating. Even showing skating for the first time live at the Olympics NBC still found a way to **** things up. :angryfire

To be fair, NBC showed skating live in 2002 and they had to play a guessing game as to when to go back to the arena to show short programs-- and they missed plenty of great skates. Luckily for the ladies, Butyrskaya, Slutskaya, Gusmeroli, Kwan, and Soldatova (all World medalists/champions) all managed to skate in one group even with the random draw. And they still managed to air a Kwan fluff during Soldatova's skate, but she was long out of the running at that point.

Just be prepared for more of it throughout the Games.

Susan1

That was irritating. Once the team competition is over and it switches over to NBCSN, they will show just the skating and all of the skating like last time, right? No fluff pieces either?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
That was irritating. Once the team competition is over and it switches over to NBCSN, they will show just the skating and all of the skating like last time, right? No fluff pieces either?
Anyone who has decent internet and a cable/satellite contract can access the live stream at nbcolympics.com. If you have a tablet, internet, and cable/satellite, you can watch via the NBC Sports app. Members have been posting links to streaming in other countries, as well, so you may not even need cable/satellite.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Anyone who has decent internet and a cable/satellite contract can access the live stream at nbcolympics.com. If you have a tablet, internet, and cable/satellite, you can watch via the NBC Sports app. Members have been posting links to streaming in other countries, as well, so you may not even need cable/satellite.

I watch only television. Like a broken record, I ask yet again: Will we be able to see beginning-to-end regular (non Team) figure skating competitions as we saw on NBCSN IN 2014? Each and every skater, without fluff? By forcing figure skating into NBC prime time, are US fans who want to watch on TV to be screwed, pre-2014 Style? If so, they may as well bring back Scott & Sandra. Boo!!!

Aceon6

Yes, people who watch solely on NBC will be subject to whatever the network thinks is entertainment. People who have access to NBCSN have a better chance of seeing everyone but will have to wait till the first broadcast to be sure. People who are willing to fire up a browser are guaranteed to see everyone.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Yes, people who watch solely on NBC will be subject to whatever the network thinks is entertainment. People who have access to NBCSN have a better chance of seeing everyone but will have to wait till the first broadcast to be sure. People who are willing to fire up a browser are guaranteed to see everyone.

NBCSN would do. It did in 2014 and I was able to record and make DVDs as I have since Kingdom Comes (well, they were VHS tapes pre-2002). I fear that whatever competition is shown will be shown only on NBC...so we’re subject to seeing a skater here and there, only who they want us to see. So far, it appears that NBCSN May be used only for Olympic Ice.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
NBCSN would do. It did in 2014 and I was able to record and make DVDs as I have since Kingdom Comes (well, they were VHS tapes pre-2002). I fear that whatever competition is shown will be shown only on NBC...so we’re subject to seeing a skater here and there, only who they want us to see. So far, it appears that NBCSN May be used only for Olympic Ice.

The early groups WILL be shown on NBCSN. Whether they cut away from select skaters remains to be seen, but the early groups are on their schedule.

A.H.Black

Saturday Schedule 02/10 - Figure Skating

After getting serious with the streaming page, I find there is a bit of a difference with the scheduling than I thought - though most of you have probably already figured it out. These times are Eastern -

Olympic Ice - PRE SHOW - 7:00 pm
Ladies, Dance, and Pairs free skate team competition - 8:00 pm
Olympic Ice - POST SHOW - 12:35 am

There was an Olympic Ice Post show on Thursday that I missed. It is available on the streaming page - the page Sylvia provided - http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how-watch-literally-all-figure-skating-during-2018-winter-olympics-pyeongchang
If you want they will even send you a reminder

I'm pretty sure the times are right for TV as well as streaming. Olympic Ice is on NBCSN. Competition is on NBC.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Finally got the NBC app up and running on my Samsung 4K TV. However, it is showing anything I watch with Closed Captioning. I see no setting options with the TV app and Closed Captioning is off on my TV. Internet search is not helping-any ideas? Guess I may have to decide tonight between lettering on the screen or Tara/Johnny.

A.H.Black

Finally got the NBC app up and running on my Samsung 4K TV. However, it is showing anything I watch with Closed Captioning. I see no setting options with the TV app and Closed Captioning is off on my TV. Internet search is not helping-any ideas? Guess I may have to decide tonight between lettering on the screen or Tara/Johnny.
Yikes - that's a pain. Are you getting it through a cable/satellite etc. provider? Could it be on their end.?

Aceon6

If your setup is similar to mine, you'll see a menu bar at the top. Featured, Live & Upcoming, Replays, Highlights, and Settings. The first item in Settings is Closed Captioning and mine gives me instructions for turning it on or off.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
If your setup is similar to mine, you'll see a menu bar at the top. Featured, Live & Upcoming, Replays, Highlights, and Settings. The first item in Settings is Closed Captioning and mine gives me instructions for turning it on or off.
My menu bar has no settings option, which I find odd. I did figure it out, I just went through settings everywhere I could find on my TV and found a place where it showed captions were on. It is now off and I can watch skating in peace! :cheer:

A.H.Black

My menu bar has no settings option, which I find odd. I did figure it out, I just went through settings everywhere I could find on my TV and found a place where it showed captions were on. It is now off and I can watch skating in peace! :cheer:

Since both of you are watching in 4K, please let us know how Chris and Charlie are doing as announcers - and if the coverage is any different.

Sylvia

TBD
Bookmark this NBC Olympics figure skating to watch page and check back daily for live streams (geoblocked outside the USA; you can watch 30 mins. without signing in to your cable/satellite provider): http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/how...ating-during-2018-winter-olympics-pyeongchang
Just appeared on this page... Live practice stream is scheduled to start at 6 pm Eastern time today (Men in practice rink): http://stream.nbcolympics.com/figure-skating-training-men-feb-10

Aceon6

Since both of you are watching in 4K, please let us know how Chris and Charlie are doing as announcers - and if the coverage is any different.
No 4K for me, but the setup for the NBC Sports app is similar whether you use a smart TV or streaming device, so I though sharing what I was seeing might be helpful.

Aceon6

I just stumbled upon Winter Olympics Daily on the Oly Channel. It’s Meet the Press style with Jimmy Roberts (one of the best in the business) and a rotating panel of winter sports experts. So far, I’m impressed. Tonight, they’re discussing OAR and who got invited, how Schiffin and Vonn aren’t really appreciated as athletes by the American public and are more known in Europe, as well as the US/Canada hockey rivalry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information