Music You Hate in Skating

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
So @allezfred's harping on his legendarily bad taste in music (too much Eurovision is bad for you) made me think of the music I hate in skating. So I'm asking for your three-five worst musical experiences.

Note, this should not be bad covers of music you otherwise like, a real problem these days. I mean music that could be sung by a celestial choir and you would still hate it.

Mine:

1. Imagine
2. Any screechy violin by whatshisname Marton
3. Liebestraum

I'm sure I'll come up with more but have to go to a meeting. Ewan McGregor's Your Song is bad but not bad enough for my top-five list and, following my own rule, the original is fine.

ETA: How could I forget. Every single tango that uses an accordion which is most of them.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Feelin’ Good. And I know I commented that something earlier this season was even worse than that but apparently I’ve gotten it out of my memory already.

Jazzy music in general has never done it for me, and West Side Story as a third choice.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
1. Michael Jackson medleys
2. screechy non-vocalist tangos, sorry this is very unspecific. I like SOME tangos.
3. Roxanne for skaters under 17

honestly I can't think of anything else, most hated skating music (PoTC, musicals, Roxanne in general... I love them)

In general I'm very bad at hating things. Maybe this thread will reminds me of my hates.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Here's my list, so let's spread the hate:

• "Feeling Good" makes me lose all the will to live and to actually feel good.
  • "Rooooxaaaaaaaanne" in all its versions + the rest of the Moulin Rouge soundtrack.
  • "Blues for Klook"
  • All the emo covers of decent songs out there
  • Every single ABBA/Beatles/Stones/Michael Jackson/Amy Winehouse cover apart from the "Across the Universe"-movie one of "Let it Be"
  • The horrible "Carmen" version that was brought to us by Gabrielle Daleman and Kanako Murakami before that
  • Coldplay must be destroyed
  • The same goes for Muse
  • "Time to say Goodbye"
  • "The Greatest Showman"...I've reeeeeaaaaallly haaaaaaaad enoooooouuuuuuuuugh!
  • "Les Misérables" succeeds in making me feel miserable every single time.
  • "Aranjuez" in all its versions. Thank God we haven't heard it in a longer time.

I might come up with more, but these I really loathe with a passion.

clairecloutier

1. "Big Spender" (also "Tango de Roxanne") for anyone under 18 (but really for most people, LOL)

2. "Brick House," "You Can Leave Your Hat On," and anything similar

3. Christina Aguilera (generally) and Burlesque (specifically)

4. Meditations on Thais and Nessun Dorma (unless you are really good)
:blocjudge 5. American hip-hop, R&B, rock 'n roll generally off limits to Russian ice dancers (Grishuk/Platov 1994 were okay) LOL :D :blocjudge:scream:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Some faux-golden oldies:

Otonal, which I call Atonal, as used for multiple years by Maria B. (whom I love otherwise, including her tango programs) - but really anything by Raúl Di BlaHsio.

That horrid, cheesy Broadway medley that Oksana Bauil skated to in the pink monstrosity of a costume.

That horrid, cheesy Jive Bunny medley that Bauil and Viktor Petrenko used in far too many exhibitions.

The Princess of the Circus. Girl, please.

American Woman as skated to by the Youngest Foo with absolutely no sense of the irony of her using it as a positive affirmation.

Lee Greenwood's execrable "God Bless the USA" used by Philippe Candeloro.

The disgustingly voice-overed music used by Lobacheva and Averbukh for that offensive 9/11 "tribute" program.

Surely there are more, but these come to mind far too easily.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Phantom of the Opera, by anybody
Les Mis, by anybody
Carmen
Michael Buble, no matter what he's singing
songs from Grease
"edgy" covers, like taking a punk or thrash metal song and doing it as a slow ballad or instrumental - 99.999% of the time, this is a bad idea
pretty much anything from Moulin Rouge

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure I will come up with more.

screech

Music that takes itself too seriously. Those solemn/slow pieces that are an attempt to be conceptual or abstract, but that just come off as pretentious

Anything that's an attempt to force a particular piece of music to fit a set style of dance (for example, Ed Sheeran is NOT Latin music)

Crappy covers - most of the time the original is so much better. Why the Gerard Butler version of Phantom of the Opera? Why the many covers of INXS or Beatles?

Songs that are used just because it's a skater's favourite song on the radio. What's with all this freaking Billie Eilish?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
So @allezfred's harping on his legendarily bad taste in music (too much Eurovision is bad for you) made me think of the music I hate in skating.
I learned years ago to like what I like when it comes to music. It works for me. Lots of skaters using Eurovision music* this season so it's going to be a tough one for you. ;)

*Both this and this competed in Eurovision this year, but anyone who thinks they belong to the same genre I would suggest needs their hearing tested. :saint:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Again, people, focus on the SONG -- not the singer (if it has more than one version) or who skates to it. Hey Big Spender is perfectly good Broadway and fits Sweet Charity's storyline very well. Nothing wrong with the song! I can tolerate a lot of pop music from Xtina to Eilish..whether they should be used for skating is another question.

My point is that when the first two notes of Imagine hits the radio, I hit the button to change the station. There is nothing that can be done to that song that will make me tolerate it. In terms of '70s cheesiness, it's right up there with the story of the mine cannibals but so much less forgivable because it was John friggin' Lennon, a genius.

But to prove that one woman's meat is another's poison, I actually like Aranjuez and Otonal. :p

AnnM

Spoken word
Michael Buble
Jazzy covers of alt rock
Tango de Roxanne
Burlesque soundtrack
Anything with 5 million different cuts in 4 minutes

ETA: Hat Full of Stars. I don't think anyone's used it besides Yuka Sato, but she used it enough that I still hate it 2 decades later.

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I learned years ago to like what I like when it comes to music. It works for me. Lots of skaters using Eurovision music* this season so it's going to be a tough one for you. ;)

*Both this and this competed in Eurovision this year, but anyone who thinks they belong to the same genre I would suggest needs their hearing tested. :saint:
Fortunately or unfortunately "this video is not available in your country."

skateboy

Feeling Good (barf)

Hallelujah (ugh)

Tinkly piano muzak

Bolero (I've never felt it works for a singles program, because the music is one big continuous crescendo to the powerful climax, and singles skaters don't don't save their biggest moves for the last minute of their programs)

Nessun dorma (Turandot)

AND MOST OF ALL: every monochromatic, dull ballad with absolutely no highs and lows (aka no places that actually warrant a quad jump nor a complex spin), unfortunately so popular these days. 🤮 Add to that a flopping ponytail or manbun held in place by a rubber band and I'm ready to remove my own appendix with a knife and fork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information