Multiple coordinated bombings in Sri Lanka- at least 207 dead

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Targets were primarily Christian churches (Easter services) and luxury hotels - places where there would be a lot of people gathered. The whole country is on lockdown. Terrible.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/21/asia/sri-lanka-explosions/index.html

ETA:
Here's the full list of blast sites reported so far:
  • St Anthony's Shrine, Kochchikade
  • St Sebastian's Church, Negombo
  • Zion Church, Batticaloa
  • Cinnamon Grand, Colombo
  • Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo
  • The Kingsbury Hotel, Colombo
  • Near Dehiwala Zoo in Dehiwala-Mount Lavinia
  • A house in Mahawila Gardens, Dematagoda

skatesindreams

What horrible news.
May those responsible be found and held accountable.

Designed to create terror and fear on a day of celebration for the Christian community.
Sympathy to all those affected by these attacks.

alexikeguchi

I am so sorry for this horrible attack on what should have been the most festive day of the year for those impacted. I was in Sri Lanka over Christmas and climbed Adam's Peak, a place of pilgrimage for all of the religions represented in the country. It was such a moving experience to see people of all faiths sharing the experience, and Sri Lankans in general impressed me as very accepting at the same time as they are very devout, largely Buddhists. I am sure the vast majority are devastated by this horrific attack even though it was perpetrated on a minority group, and I pray for healing in the entire country as well as for the families and friends immediately impacted.

Vagabond

The President of Sri Lanka and the country's National Security Council apparently were warned about the possibility of the attacks two weeks ago and had the names of suspects but didn't tell the Prime Minister or the Cabinet. :wall: :mad:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...death-toll-from-bombings-rises-sharply-to-290

If so, the President should resign immediately.

The perpetrators are said to be a domestic radical Islamist group that has been targeting Buddhists.

Vagabond

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/world/asia/isis-sri-lanka-blasts.html

In his first national address since the attacks, President Maithripala Sirisena sought to allay criticism that he was at least partly responsible for the security failure....

He acknowledged “there was an intelligence report about the attack,” which his subordinates had known about for many days, but he also claimed that he was “not kept informed.” ....

Many Sri Lankans say the president contributed to the failure by having refused to let the prime minister, Ranil Wickremesinghe, a political rival, into security meetings.
:mad:

Presidential ignorance, if genuine, is just as bad in this instance as actual knowledge. And politicking with the lives of 800 people is even worse. Dude needs to resign or be impeached.

In proportion to Sri Lanka's population, the loss of life was comparable to what the U.S. suffered on 9/11.[/RANT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information