Mental Health Issues

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I know we have a thread in the General Skate forum, but I never know if we're supposed to post about other sports there as well. So here is a new thread because I wanted to give credit to Ohio State head football coach Ryan Day and his wife, Nina Day, for donating $1 million to OSU to research mental health issues. They had also previously formed a foundation to address mental health issues in children.

It's nice to see high profile sports people talk about the issues and help reduce any perceived stigma about getting help. Kudos to the Days

Looks like his efforts to make resources available has already had a positive benefit:

Former offensive lineman Harry Miller credited Day and the mental-health staff with saving him last year after he contemplated suicide. Miller medically retired from football and has become an advocate for mental health care.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 80234

“Roberts-Pomeroy, from Conwy, was jailed along with another man for three years and four months after admitting robbery in July 2018.
Senior coroner John Gittins heard he had served his sentence and was on licence but had been detained under the Mental Health Act.
Mr Gittins said pathologist Dr Brian Rodgers had given a provisional cause of death as sepsis due to toxic megacolon caused by constipation induced by clozapine, a medication prescribed for schizophrenia.”
Clozapine caused wrongful death

D

Deleted member 80234

D

Deleted member 80234

“Instead, all the data today tells of worsening mental health in the United States, particularly among the young. For instance, new data from the CDC found that 57% of teen girls feel “persistently sad and hopeless,” and 30% “seriously considered attempting suicide.”
And the data also shows that current interventions may contribute to that decline. For instance, researchers have warned that well-intentioned “mental health awareness” campaigns may be worsening outcomes. Antidepressants have been shown to increase the risk that depression will run a more chronic course, and they increase the risk of diabetes, hypertension, and other evidence of poor health.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information