Max Aaron retires from figure skating

paskatefan

Wishing Max all the best. Such a classy guy with great sportsmanship. So thrilled that his season ended on such a high note (medalling @ 4CC, getting the opportunity to skate really well @ Worlds, and helping to secure 3 spots for the US men). I have no doubt Max will be successful in the next phase of his life!

Carolla5501

I was never a huge fan, but he has always handled himself with style and been a good and graceful competitor and you have to admire that. Plus he's just a powerful fun skater to watch. Hope the next phase of his life is a big success.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
@watchthis!! Theres 's something very wrong with your jolly avatar next to the thread title šŸ˜¬

I like it. It looks like Max's face did when he spoke about having no regrets.

In a strange way, it's everything I could have wanted for this dreadful announcement. He went out still competitive, still near the top, instead of clinging on and fading away. He went out with one last contribution to the team. He went out with no regrets, and seems genuinely happy and at peace with this decision. And his plans are happening. He was training for a triathlon. He's landed a great job in a field that seems to appreciate his talents. And he's still got a couple of shows coming up.

That doesn't stop these darned ninjas from setting up camp in my house and chopping onions all the time, though.

Sylvia

TBD
Sarah Brannen leads off with Max Aaron's retirement in her May 2nd edition of "Inside Edge" for IN - excerpts:
Following a long and impressive career, Max Aaron recently announced his retirement from competitive skating. On the Tuesday following the 2018 World Figure Skating Championships in Milan, Italy, Aaron took on a new role, starting a job as a wealth advisor for Merrill Lynch in Sun City, Arizona.
"It's something I've been wanting to do for at least 10 years -- helping people invest in their future," Aaron said. "I've realized that a lot of my friends are living in the moment, not taking their future into consideration. I have this opportunity, and I can't wait to see what I can do with it."
Aaron said he has no regrets about his decision to hang up his skates.
"There was never a moment where I thought, 'Woulda, coulda,'" he said. "I won a U.S. title, went to four world championships. I enjoyed my time; there's nothing more I could have done. I put everything I had into it."
Although he's now focused on his new career, Aaron said he'll still skate in shows from time to time. He's living at home with his parents in Arizona while he looks for a place of his own.
"It's so nice to be home," he said. "I haven't lived with my parents since I was 16. It's weird to be back in my parents' house, following rules again! But I'm enjoying being home, seeing my parents every day. I'm so happy."
Max is not listed in the newly updated - as of yesterday - ISU World Standings (refer to: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ndings-projected-updates.103710/#post-5357390 ), so USFS must have officially informed the ISU of his retirement.

Re-posting from the North American club/local shows thread:
Max will be the special guest star at the Ice Den Scottsdale's 20th anniversary show!

Friday June 15/Saturday June 16. More info here: https://www.icedenscottsdale.com/ice-show
(He's not listed on their website page for the show, but I am assuming misskarne has the inside scoop. ;))

ETA - ICYMI, here was the first thread that was started in GSD on April 19th: Facebook Live Q&A video+transcript of Mariah Bell and Max Aaron (in which he officially announced his retirement from competition)
USFS' tweeted a one-minute clip from his retirement announcement the following day: https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/987339281684348929

Last edited:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I looove this quote from Max:

"There was never a moment where I thought, 'Woulda, coulda,'" he said. "I won a U.S. title, went to four world championships. I enjoyed my time; there's nothing more I could have done. I put everything I had into it." "
I am soooooo impressed by how Max has handled himself, as a skater and now in retirement.:respec: No dithering, no regrets, and onto the next chapter.

With that attitude, I have no doubt of his future success. The best to Max:cheer2:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
(He's not listed on their website page for the show, but I am assuming misskarne has the inside scoop. ;))

:lol: No inside scoops from me, it's on the Ice Den facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/icedenaz/p...693461628795/1917339231630867/?type=3&theater

Aside: looks like some extensive renos going on there.

I looove this quote from Max:

"There was never a moment where I thought, 'Woulda, coulda,'" he said. "I won a U.S. title, went to four world championships. I enjoyed my time; there's nothing more I could have done. I put everything I had into it." "
I am soooooo impressed by how Max has handled himself, as a skater and now in retirement.:respec: No dithering, no regrets, and onto the next chapter.

With that attitude, I have no doubt of his future success. The best to Max:cheer2:

He won't woulda, coulda, so I'll have to just sigh in annoyance that the record books won't show his rightful second title.

He just looks so happy all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information